Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll
Quote | Reply
Not sure which to click because for me the tv/streaming experience is so dependent on the level of commentary that goes with it. So at the moment I'm thinking either ITU or cycling because I have positive experiences of both. Not so much for long distance tri, and I haven't really watched the coverage for the others.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy the ITU mixed relay events the most of any sporting event outside of a few cycling races (Roubaix/Flanders/etc.), though the enjoyability of the mixed relay is largely a factor of the "once-a-year" nature of it. Cross country skiing events are really fun to watch as well (especially biathlon).
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm surprised more people didn't choose track meet. best bang for your buck. 6 different things going on all at the same time. if you want a really concentrated form of entertainment - the very best entertainment nickel you'll ever spend - that's an indoor track meet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm surprised more people didn't choose track meet. best bang for your buck. 6 different things going on all at the same time. if you want a really concentrated form of entertainment - the very best entertainment nickel you'll ever spend - that's an indoor track meet.

I am abstaining b/c you did not include swim meet as an option.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya swim meet would be my pick too, but went with ITU even though my favorite thing to watch is Kona each year online. But that is just one race on one day, other Ironmans are not so TV friendly.

Maybe Kona should have been its own category..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motor racing.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
European Six Day track racing. Sold out stadiums and incredible atmosphere with some of the world's fastest racers. Doesn't exist in the US but i don't see anything beating that.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about 6 day track running races, of course they take longer than the cycling track races, but they could be more fun than watching paint dry I guess...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
How about 6 day track running races, of course they take longer than the cycling track races, but they could be more fun than watching paint dry I guess...(-;
clearly you have never seen a six day cycling track race. It's 6 evenings each with madison, single lap TT, derny, points race, and many more with teams of two. It's what Wiggins chose to do as his last race, btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a super sprint triathlon? At USAT Nationals a few years ago they had the pros race swim/bike/run, swim/bike/run, swim/bike/run. Taylor Spivvy messed up the last bike/run transition and started running toward the swim with her goggles. After a few seconds she figured out her mistake and ran the last run barefoot and just barely lost in a finish-line sprint. Super entertaining to watch and pretty spectator friendly giving the compressed venue.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you said 1500m track race...that would be my pick.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ya swim meet would be my pick too, but went with ITU even though my favorite thing to watch is Kona each year online. But that is just one race on one day, other Ironmans are not so TV friendly.

Maybe Kona should have been its own category..

Swim meet hands down. Then Kona. Then an exciting race, hence my ITU pick.

Hell. I watch swim meet and Kona reruns when I get stuck on a treadmill at the gym. It's like the Brady Bunch, but better.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get the interest in watching long distance triathlon. ITU stuff is alright to watch but still not my choice as a spectator sport. Some sports are great to participate in but just not interesting to watch. I always though that was the case for triathlon. It's a test of endurance but there's very little strategy so I don't find it that interesting. But then I always thought soccer was a horrendously boring spectator sport and it's the most watched sport in the world so clearly my opinions are not typical! Swimming is okay but lacks something for me. Hard to say what. I often really enjoy watching track running to but not to the extent that I'd watch it for hours at a time.

I voted cycling. I'm not bothered about watching a grand tour flat stage from start to finish. But, when it's good it can be very entertaining - especially the toughest mountain stages. Some of the big races have been very entertaining this year, including the TDF so far.
6 day velodrome events are great to watch too but I rarely get a chance to see them. Likewise some of the criterium race coverage from the UK is good and they can be quite enjoyable to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't even be a contest if he'd include beach volleyball as an option.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
It wouldn't even be a contest if he'd include beach volleyball as an option.

It wouldn't even be a contest if he'd include Women's beach volleyball as an option

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Island House Triathlon: Invitational was the best thing I have watched on that list...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Jorgensen_Murray_take_Island_House_overall_6092.html

Though...Le Tour was pretty great to watch at lunch yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
The Island House Triathlon: Invitational was the best thing I have watched on that list...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Jorgensen_Murray_take_Island_House_overall_6092.html

How exactly does one watch Le Tour at lunch on the rest day? Was it a replay?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Jul 18, 17 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on this: open water swimming is fun to watch, and the officials' boat is right next to the action. Feedings are fun to watch also.

A great 1500m pool race can be thrilling the whole way, watching swimmers go at it at near sprint speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HOW IS BIATHLON NOT ON THIS POLL? X-Country skiing AND target shooting in the same event. Athletes actual carry their rifles and live ammo. There are lap penalties for missing targets. HR at 175+ and then it needs to get down immediately to as low as possible so the athletes can squeeze off a shot in between heart beats.

This poll is now closed. Biathlon wins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked xc-skiing.
But as an endurance junkie I like to watch all endurance sports.

Luckily the Internet has made is possible to get good commentators for most of the sports.
Every morning I am listening to TdF over Internet radio.
The same goes for all track meets and championships, the olympics (I am not a fan of NBC).
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I picked xc-skiing.

i'm shocked! i never would have guessed! ;-)

i thought about a poll option that was: "xc ski or track meet featuring a 1500m if a 16yo norwegian is entered."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not pick track, because even though there are some events that are, I really do not consider it endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
HOW IS BIATHLON NOT ON THIS POLL? X-Country skiing AND target shooting in the same event. Athletes actual carry their rifles and live ammo. There are lap penalties for missing targets. HR at 175+ and then it needs to get down immediately to as low as possible so the athletes can squeeze off a shot in between heart beats.

This poll is now closed. Biathlon wins.

I have to Biathlon is the only sport I compulsively watch. Love it. Never shot a gun or been on cross country skis in my life but the sport is so compelling to watch. Definitely fancy a bit of xc skiing in the future (not too bothered about shooting though).
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We only get rugby league, home renovations and cooking shows on TV in Australia, so we never see any of these sports except for the Tour de France.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Spectator Endurance Sport Poll [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

How exactly does one watch Le Tour at lunch on the rest day? Was it a replay?

Must have been a replay...Ignorance is bliss, sometimes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next