Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Mattress - Memory Foam Vs. Traditional
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any recommendations? If I continue sleeping on my current bed, my life will be crap. I heard that memory foam mattresses use unsafe chemicals to build em that could be unhealthy, is this true? Also, does memory foam make you bake at night? Ultimately, it seems that a hard bed works better for me (which interestingly is in contrast to the sleep scan performed at Sleepy's).

Anyone, with any kind of information will help a ton.

Thanks,
Chris

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Mattress - Memory Foam Vs. Traditional [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does memory foam make you bake at night?

My experience with memory foam was terrible. I'm a furnace while I sleep - hot, with night sweats. I melted in memory foam - it didn't breathe, let air circulate, and when I sweated, it was just yuck.

Experience n=1, of course, but there are such advances with traditional mattresses that I was able to find a great one that is so much better, for me, than MF...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I HATE memory foam mattresses, as well as those super expensive Duxiana Swedish ones. I feel completely hot and claustrophobic when lying on one of them. (Ex-girlfriend worked at the place and had their top of the line.)

I bought the firmest one I could find at Sleepys, although my favorite mattress of all time was a very heavy, multiple foam one, not latex, but very heavy, nonetheless, - and very firm, as well. That thing weighed as much as me; I would love to find another like that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a the "firm" memory foam.....it is hot and it takes some effort to roll over! Great in the winter..... usually. It's like you gotta get a little momentum to get up out of the "hole". It was a blessing for a while when I was having back issues, but not now. As for chemicals, I could only imagine. I have it in it's "case" plus a very thick cotton mattress pad. My PT has recommended the Sleep Number Bed since I just recently mentioned how I now hated my memory foam mattress and to see if he had any recommendations. fyi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had replaced my mattress recently and did my research...

And posts here are right - memory foam mattress is a different feel and is hotter; you are right about the chemicals (but this goes away after two weeks).

I decided on LATEX mattress and i couldn't be happier. Its the best thing i ve slept on in my life. Its much firmer than memory foam, however still supports evenly the body .... as far as temperature is concerned - i live in hot climate and it is not a problem

big downside though - is the price - i managed to get mine with 50% DISCOUNT so do shop around
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We recently got a tempurpedic - the best night sleep I have ever had. It IS warm during the summer, but I sleep on top of a quilt without blankets anyhow, so the quilt provides some insulation - little trouble unless the power goes out and its 103 F (like Tuesday night). During the winter it is perfection.

r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the Sleep Number air/foam mattress for 3 years now and can highly recommend it as well. It sleeps as well today as it did the first night, due in part to the ability to keep the firmness at the same level over time. No sagging or otherwise. It has a type of mem foam upper layer, but that is covered with some sort of cooling/breathing layer and top pad as well to keep it from being hot at all. Very comfortable temperature and supportwise.

We tried the mem foam mattresses and didn't like them as well.

Surely the mem foam people have incorporated top pads that improve breathability by now to alleviate the hot feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We recently up-graded our mattress and where stuck in the same conundrum - full-on memory foam or more traditional. In the end we settled on a hybrid - the base is a pocket coil mattrass that has a top layer of foam. It's very firm, but also very comfortable.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried out memory foam & while the idea is novel & it seems comfy for 30 seconds, I HATED it.

I am a hot sleeper. A furnace if you will. Same for the GF. I prefer my bedroom to be near arctic conditions to be most conducive to quality sleep.

The way you sink into the foam, I felt like I was inside a form-fitting sleeping back, it was sooo hot.

I also like to sprawl out & move quite a bit both when falling asleep and apparently once asleep as well, and again with the molded/sinking thing on foam, it's like I had to crawl out of a ditch.

Not for me. The best route I found for comfort/support is a high-quality firm mattress with a top-notch pillowtop.

I believe I have a Simmons, and I just love it. It was worth every penny.

We recently bought the girl a Stearns & Foster, as they recently came out with some models that are less than their usual uber-expensive price points, and the thing is amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for the Sleep Number. I thought it was a gimmick, but damn if it's not the best nights sleep ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Mattress - Memory Foam Vs. Traditional [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have had the Sleep Number air/foam mattress for 3 years now and can highly recommend it as well. It sleeps as well today as it did the first night, due in part to the ability to keep the firmness at the same level over time. No sagging or otherwise. It has a type of mem foam upper layer, but that is covered with some sort of cooling/breathing layer and top pad as well to keep it from being hot at all. Very comfortable temperature and supportwise.

We tried the mem foam mattresses and didn't like them as well.

Surely the mem foam people have incorporated top pads that improve breathability by now to alleviate the hot feeling.

+1
sleep number also lasts a hell of a lot longer.

Quote | Reply
I just got a memory foam and silicon mattress and it is fantastic!!! But my old mattress was 18 years old so my comparison might be a little off. I would rather chew my arm off than deal with another mattress salesman.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Mattress - Memory Foam Vs. Traditional [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I tried out memory foam & while the idea is novel & it seems comfy for 30 seconds, I HATED it.

I am a hot sleeper. A furnace if you will. Same for the GF. I prefer my bedroom to be near arctic conditions to be most conducive to quality sleep.

The way you sink into the foam, I felt like I was inside a form-fitting sleeping back, it was sooo hot.

I also like to sprawl out & move quite a bit both when falling asleep and apparently once asleep as well, and again with the molded/sinking thing on foam, it's like I had to crawl out of a ditch.

Not for me. The best route I found for comfort/support is a high-quality firm mattress with a top-notch pillowtop.

I believe I have a Simmons, and I just love it. It was worth every penny.

We recently bought the girl a Stearns & Foster, as they recently came out with some models that are less than their usual uber-expensive price points, and the thing is amazing.
+1. The thing that really annoys me about the memory foam is that the "heat effect" doesn't hit me until after I've fallen asleep. Thermostat is set just right, and everything's nice and comfy. And -- don't get me wrong -- the memory foam is damn comfortable, so I'm out like a light. Then, I wake up an hour or two later absolutely sweltering.

Austin, TX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 7 or 8 years ago, I went and bought the best, top-of-the-line pillow-top mattress I could find. I think it's a Sealy. I knew as soon as I lay down on it at the store that I was going to buy it. It was that comfortable. In fact, it was so comfortable, I started coming home early, just so I could go to bed earlier. Seriously

Sleeps as well now as it did then. One of the smartest purchases I ever made. The quality of my sleep (and therefore my training) has been decidedly better since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Tempur Pedic 9 months ago...its been the best spend 3K of my life. Sleep is too important. It is different, but when you can sleep thru the night and wake up pain free; well, its priceless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleep number!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my memory foam mattress for sleeping, but it's less than ideal for other activities that take place on a mattress. The memory foam absorbs energy, making it tough to get a rhythm going. I prefer spring mattresses for mattress-based recreation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a super expensive pillow top mattress. After about a year the pillow top part had permenant intentions of our body and became uncomfortable.

I hacked off the pillowtop part and put on a 3" memory foam mattress topper. Beeen fantastic ever since! For me it's best of both worlds.

The memory foam is nice and plush while the traditional mattress underneath gives nice support and I don't get too hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I researched this pretty extensively and ultimately settled on a mix of the 2.
We bought an Ikea memory foam (super firm) and then bought a ikea latex topper.. I find the combo of the two to be amazing. I like sleeping cold (window or air conditioning year round) and don't find the mattress itself to be super hot.
In terms of cost, way less then many of the alternative options (total ~1000 CAD). We previously had a pillow top but it literally broke down over 3-4 years with permanent indents.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Mattress - Memory Foam Vs. Traditional [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
We bought a super expensive pillow top mattress. After about a year the pillow top part had permenant intentions of our body and became uncomfortable.

I hacked off the pillowtop part and put on a 3" memory foam mattress topper. Beeen fantastic ever since! For me it's best of both worlds.

The memory foam is nice and plush while the traditional mattress underneath gives nice support and I don't get too hot.

This is what I have as well. Traditional top end firm mattress with 3 inch gel memory foam topper. Not terribly convinced the gel helps with the cooling, but a little better than standard memory foam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my memory foam mattress at Costco and it is pretty firm. It was the 14" I believe. A few times a year they have a $100 off. In store I got it for $399 for a Queen. It came in a box with wheels, and I just rolled it out to my car. It was super easy and I have had it for about 3 years now and it is comfortable. I think Costco either gives you 90 or 180 days to return it if you don't like it. Here is the link. They are $100 cheaper in the store, but if you order online they will pick it up if you want to return it.

https://www.costco.com/Novaform-14%22-Comfort-Grande-Queen-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100150105.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't buy a sleep number if you have any sort of weight difference between you and your significant other unless you want to hear for 5 years how she's sleeping in a dip in the bed. Sleep number beds (while I found very comfortable) unfortunately all suffer from the middle of the bed being unsupported since there are 2 air chambers that aren't attached to one another. So overtime, the middle of the bed sags and weight differential will pull the lighter person to the heavier person. Read about it - there is a lot of info on the net. That said, my wife and I have an i8 that I've had no issues with.

We're getting a Tempurpedic now in firm with the breeze tech - we're both sleeping furnaces, so we decided to spend extra for the breeze cooling tech. Bed comes Monday...we have 90 days to see if it works for us otherwise we'll send it back. Fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Mattress - Memory Foam Vs. Traditional [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't this topic 8 years old?

Which mattress is 100% personal preference. The only advice applicable to everyone is: if you share a bed with an SO get a mattress (and a bed frame!) that won't rock and roll when they get up or roll in bed. Being woken up several times a night is absolute murder on your sleep, and you'll wake up tired every morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Mattress - Memory Foam Vs. Traditional [emcmino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emcmino wrote:
I bought my memory foam mattress at Costco and it is pretty firm. It was the 14" I believe. A few times a year they have a $100 off. In store I got it for $399 for a Queen. It came in a box with wheels, and I just rolled it out to my car. It was super easy and I have had it for about 3 years now and it is comfortable. I think Costco either gives you 90 or 180 days to return it if you don't like it. Here is the link. They are $100 cheaper in the store, but if you order online they will pick it up if you want to return it.

https://www.costco.com/Novaform-14%22-Comfort-Grande-Queen-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100150105.html

I asked them about the bed and a warranty. They told me the warranty was for 10 years. Just hoping that is the case for you...I still haven't bought a new bed yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Mattress - Memory Foam Vs. Traditional [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
emcmino wrote:

I asked them about the bed and a warranty. They told me the warranty was for 10 years. Just hoping that is the case for you...I still haven't bought a new bed yet.

If you look under features, it actually has a 20 year Warranty.

Features:
  • Evenly distributes body weight to eliminate pressure points that can cause tossing and turning
  • Ultra soft stay-cool fabric wicks away heat and moisture
  • Constructed to hold its shape over time, eliminating the need to flip or rotate
  • Promotes natural spinal alignment
  • Increases circulation
  • Minimizes impact of sleep partner’s movement
  • Comfortable, personalized support
  • Consumer Tested
  • 20 Year Limited Warranty
  • Foam made in USA
  • Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633 - Federal flammability (open flame) standards
  • Queen Mattress Dimensions: 60" W x 80" L x 14" H
  • Weight: 92 lbs

Quote Reply

Prev Next