Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times
Quote | Reply
I love doing sprints. The short distances and smaller spaces through the transitions help expose the little process failures and mental lapses that I can improve for bigger races. Plus, they are a ton of fun.

Yesterday I did a sprint and another of my shortcomings became top of mind. I am horrible in T2. T1 I am in the top quartile, so I have some room for improvement, but am OK. However, I am in the bottom third of T2. And the difference between my T2 time and the other AG podium finishers was 45 seconds to a minute in the two races I did. T2 potentially cost me 1 AG podium slot in a race earlier this spring and one or two AG podium slots yesterday. (Plus, yesterday’s race had a couple other totally avoidable stupid human errors that were also very costly in time.)

Two things I know I can do in T2, that I just haven’t bothered with yet:
  1. Rolling my socks to make them quicker to put on
  2. Using speed laces on my shoes

So, what are the favored speed laces people are using? How long do they last… one pair of shoes, a few pairs of shoes, a very long time? Do you run with them all the time or just during races? Anything to consider when picking laces?

Second, I am not sure I am ready to take the plunge and go sockless on the run. I ride sockless on sprints, but not on HIM distances (feet just get way too sweaty and gross feeling in bike shoes without socks for that much time). I have read that rolling socks hugely improves time to put on socks. That is free time; I just haven’t done it yet. Is there anything else related to socks that is super helpful for improving transition speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock Laces https://www.locklaces.com/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a HUGE fan of xtenex laces. I have them in most of my shoes and they are the best by far, as you can adjust each eyelet to custom fit your foot. I have some that have lasted a number of years now......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, if you are only losing a minute putting on socks and lacing shoes, you have some serious free time waiting for you!

Locklaces, yanks, whatever else...they are all fine. The trick is to get the tension right. I have a pair of shoes dedicated to races (racing flats), so yes, I keep the stretchy laces on full time. But for training, I like normal laces.

For sprints, try running without socks. Sure, pre-rolling may make putting them on take 5 seconds or so, but if you bumble it, you're looking at a big penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need socks for an olympic and shorter.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy one of each type of quick laces and see what works best for you.

No socks for sprints!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm super picky on the type of sock I race with. I really don't care about it's performance when in the cycling or running shoe, the number one thing I look for is ease of putting them on in transition. I've found that I like really thin and super meshy socks that expand a lot when putting them on. I have occasionally sprinkle baby powder in the opening of the sock to make them even easier to put on. SockGuy.com has a lot of options to choose from, so I'd suggest to try a few different pairs until you find some that you can whip on in just a few seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
You don't need socks for an olympic and shorter.

This.

I use Zoot TTs - built in elastic laces, no socks needed.
For sprints, I don't even bother to tighten the laces.
For Olympics, it is 50/50 if I bother tightening the laces.

For HIMs, I will put on socks, and use shoes with more cushioning.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Wow, if you are only losing a minute putting on socks and lacing shoes, you have some serious free time waiting for you!
Haha, yeah. Yesterday I was 20th overall. I had a 1:30 T2 time. The average T2 of everyone ahead of me was 44 seconds. The next slowest T2 after me was 1:06. At a minimum, I can probably get 45 seconds of free time. 2nd Place AG beat me by 36 seconds. 1st place AG beat me by 58 seconds, but I was the faster runner. If I had started the run within 13 seconds of him, I probably would have found those 13 seconds to win the AG.

Now, if I had not screwed up twice earlier in the race, I would not have needed the T2 time to win my AG, but perfect execution seems to elude me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was using lock laces, but they probably aren't any better or worse than any other elastic lace, just buy one and try it. They last longer then the shoe will.

Really try dumping the socks if you are racing for podiums. You are giving time away to your competition. I use baby powder around the shoe entry, and put some A+D ointment down inside the shoe where I get some hot spots to help there. You want to aim to have the fastest T1 and T2 overall, look at every aspect of the time you spend in transition, every second counts in sprints/olys. Don't do anything standing still that you could do while you're moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be in your shoes. heh heh.

you need to find the right shoes to run sockless. Once I did that, there is no difference in comfort and my transition is faster. There are probably many options with a sock like upper but Zoots work very well for me. There is essentially nothing inside to rub harshly against your foot. Except for a pre-race run or two, I otherwise always run with socks. The transition to the Zoots for races is very easy
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 26, 17 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I couldn't run sockless either, but here is what I started doing. I take an older pair of stretched out socks, and turn them inside out. Then I wrap them around the shoe insole with the hole in the sock on the bottom. I stick the insole back in the shoe and I basically have a sock for the bottom of my feet. Saves time in T2 and soaks up some of the sweat!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1. Skip using socks
2. Yes get some speed laces or find a pair that come with them

I currently race in Newtons that comes with speed laces, previously used Zoots.

You might need to look at other issues too, 45 seconds to a minute is a long time. Here's a run through of my T2s for a Sprint.

Flying dismount, run to my rack (know where your rack is) pushing bike from the seat, rack bike, helmet off, shoes on, grab run belt and head out. I put the run belt on while I'm running out.

I put my run belt under my shoes so I can grab it after I'm done putting them on and attach things to my run belt like visors, sunglasses if I want them for the race. I can situation that on the move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No socks for Olympic and Sprints, will save you huge time right there. As for laces, I buy bulk 1/8" parachord (small bungee chord) . Simply cut what you need, pretty cheap compared to commercially available bungee style laces. I already have a bunch of lace locks from previous sets of bungee laces so I reuse those until the springs die.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another great thing about Xtenex is that there is no other pieces other than the laces, so no "lock" to engage. Fast. If you don't mind a used pair, I have one I could send you........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely Xtenex. Tried them one time and never went back. Best thing out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a ton. This thread has been immensely helpful. I learned about two products I did not know existed: I use Zoot TT shoes with built in speed-laces, and Xtenex laces. And, it affirmed Lock Laces, which I had heard of.

My plan is to buy some Xtenex and Lock Laces right away just to experiment with them on regular runs. And, I will try to locate a local shop that sells the Zoot shoes to check them out. I may buy the Zoots for the total package on sprint races (since I plan to try to get better in those and I plan to race the Nationals in Cincinnati in 2018). And, I will probably go with my regular shoes and either Xtenex or Lock Laces for HIM races. My feet are kind of fragile, so I am cautious of shoe changes in general. But, I have no problem is running a 5K in shoes that may not be ideal for me if they can save me a minute in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but ditch the socks...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to be the dissenting voice, but I have a strong dislike for the Xtenex, I could never get them dialed in, and always get hot spots with them in my instep. I've always done best with basic elastic laces and lace locks. I have them in most of my shoes for every day training and racing, I set them to the length I need, and then tie a knot on the other side of the lock, and then never have to worry about slippage, and the stretch in the laces gives me plenty of room to get my feet in. I fully agree to sockless for anything shorter than a HIM type race...

And yes, overall for transition, the less you have to do the better... because your brain doesn't work at 170+bpm, you want to be on autopilot for execution... T1, shoes are in the pedals, elastics to keep them level, helmet is open straps out, with the nose facing me upside down (do I can directly flip it onto my head), sunglasses are in the helmet vents, and any nutrition that I need is on the bike already, and the number belt is on the seat (since most of the races I do require a bib on the bike) unless I'm racing a Du, in which case it's already on. For T2, hat is right by my shoes, usually any nutrition I would need was on the bike so I would already have loaded it into a pocket... In terms of race sequencing, coming out of the water, cap and goggles come off in my right hand, unzip the wetsuit with my left, as I pull the right sleeve off, I let the cap and gogles go, and they are caught inside that sleeve, no risk of a discard penalty, and one less thing to worry about, do the other sleeve, and get it down to my waist while running to the tzone, then it's one solid two handed push with thumbs inside the wetsuit to get it to the knees, then it's 1-2 steps with each leg to get it off (I'm usually putting my helmet on at the same time), then grab the bike and go, flying mount at the line... coming back, I usually try to shift to an easier gear for the last 500m into T2 to spin out the legs, feet are already out of the shoes, flying dismount, rack the bike, put on the shoes, remove the helmet, grab my hat (if I'm wearing one) and go... No thinking required, and it's practiced enough that I can do it without thinking... The last super sprint I raced, I got 2nd overall and won my age group in the t-zone, I outrode the guy behind me, but he outswam and outran me by greater margins, but I beat him by 45sec, because I put 90sec into him across the two transitions (the guy who won spanked me on every leg, but I clawed back time in transition on him too)... not to mention, when you fly by people in transition, you're delivering a psychological blow to them...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [emcmino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emcmino wrote:
I thought I couldn't run sockless either, but here is what I started doing. I take an older pair of stretched out socks, and turn them inside out. Then I wrap them around the shoe insole with the hole in the sock on the bottom. I stick the insole back in the shoe and I basically have a sock for the bottom of my feet. Saves time in T2 and soaks up some of the sweat!!!

This is simple and brilliant and I might try it. No matter what I do I can't run more than 3 miles without socks without some horrible blister on the bottom of my feet. That never happens with socks. Drives me nuts to be doing a sprint to olympic and be putting socks on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good results with xtenex laces. I've had a pair for 2 years, across 2 different shoes. The way the knots/bulges work you can really adjust how tight each part of the shoe is. I would say the only downside is the laces look a little goofy at the final set of eyelets where you would normally tie a knot. My laces are not long enough to tuck in and short enough to stick out.

I'm trying Riplaces out this season, definitely looks cleaner on the shoe, so we will see how it goes...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
emcmino wrote:

This is simple and brilliant and I might try it. No matter what I do I can't run more than 3 miles without socks without some horrible blister on the bottom of my feet. That never happens with socks. Drives me nuts to be doing a sprint to olympic and be putting socks on.

Thanks, It was really helpful for me. Here are a couple of pics I shot last year. I have used it in 3 or 4 sprints so far and it has been pretty comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also like Xtenex. I've tried a few brands, not a lot, and Xtenex stuck with me. I've got two sets, one in race flats, one in every day shoes, I expect them to last for at least a season / several pairs of shoes. In fact, now that I think about it, I'd really expect them to last at least two seasons.

I did rolled up socks this weekend and it worked well. I'm not exactly a gazelle in transition and I don't usually sweat it too much. My race this weekend was a 5.1 mile run. I know many wouldn't wear socks, but for me I had to think about what's coming up. I've got Whistler half in five weeks (A race, end of my tri season) and I've been known to get blisters. So I wasn't going to risk not being able to do proper run training in the next few weeks to save 20 seconds in transition.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:

1. Skip using socks
2. Yes get some speed laces or find a pair that come with them

I currently race in Newtons that comes with speed laces, previously used Zoots.

You might need to look at other issues too, 45 seconds to a minute is a long time. Here's a run through of my T2s for a Sprint.

Flying dismount, run to my rack (know where your rack is) pushing bike from the seat, rack bike, helmet off, shoes on, grab run belt and head out. I put the run belt on while I'm running out.

I put my run belt under my shoes so I can grab it after I'm done putting them on and attach things to my run belt like visors, sunglasses if I want them for the race. I can situation that on the move.

This! I did a Sprint last Saturday and got 2nd in AG. The guy that beat me had a 38 second T2 compared to my 52 second T2. I felt like I was incredibly fast and I could not believe that dude did transition in only 38 seconds. Now, he beat me by almost 2 minutes so the T2 time was not the determining factor but it contributed to it. The difference? We had a long run off the bike to the T2 area. He did a flying dismount and was able to run undisturbed and simply racked his bike. I had to stop, unclip, run uncomfortably in bike shoes and then take off my bike shoes. I must learn the flying dismount and so must you if you are doing Sprints.

Also, do not wear socks for a Sprint!!!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [emcmino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While Xtenex were okay, I eventually moved away from them. Having narrow feet, the bulbous part of the cord dug into the top of my feet with shoes that had thin tongue on them. I've had Lace Locks, but the thin diameter of the lace when super tight necessary for my narrow feet, dug into tendons at the apex of the curve. Rip Laces, my latest set of elastic laces, worked really well from a comfort standpoint not hurting my feet, but it was almost too loose, as they don't include a smaller loop. If they had a set 1/2 the size of what they include, that would work better. Shoes felt almost too loose. I had the Zoot Ali'i with BOA system, but wasn't thrilled with the overly soft sole material. Aw, I'm just overly picky about shoes and laces I suppose.
Quote Reply

Prev Next