Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Chain Lube [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epic from white lightning is pretty good. I tested a few other ones and I liked this one most.
Smooth shifting and not allot of dust/dirt buildup which is something I noticed with the other brands.

We have a limited amount of shops and I buy local, this is the best we got where I live, for road/TT bikes at least.
There's a bunch of other ones for MTB which I didn't try.

PS: Sorry that I don't remember the other brand names. I don't pay too much attention to brands of everything, just my main stuff.
I would not have remembered the name of this one of it wasn't for the time I bought it home, and my girlfriend saw it and asked if that was for her.
Sorry honey, it's for my bike.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO, cleaning chains, beyond the WD40 wipedown I described, is a waste of time.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to know why your results differ from the velonews results. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

You guys crack me up...3 in 1 is within 1.5W of the best liquid option in that study...and on a performance/price basis, probably the winner. Actually, that was the main takeaway from that article: the vast majority of chain lube options are within 1-1.5W of the best (I'm not including the wax option because I don't really consider that a practical alternative...based on experience).

THIS.

That chart looks damning... until you read the Y axis units. The differences between most chain lubes amount to less than 1.5-2W. Might be significant if trying to win a Pro ITT. Might. If you aren't a Pro ITT star just use whatever lube attracts less dirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

One "pro" tip a teammate gave me for keeping a clean drivetrain, no matter what lube (besides wax, of course)...after each ride, take a rag a spray a good amount of WD-40 on it and then wrap that portion of the rag around the chain and run the chain through. That will clean off the road grime residue and leave a silicone film, while not disturbing the oil that's in the pin/bushing interfaces.

Works like a charm and takes literally 10s.

This does work quite well. I use one of those clip on chain cleaners occasionally as well, when I have ridden on really nasty days and really long rides. It save on the amount of rags I would have to use otherwise.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then again, there have been probably a few hundred posts on here about the Tririg brake, which costs $175 and saves... a grand total of 2 watts. Seems like buying an $8 bottle of lube to save 1.5-2 watts has a much better cost/watt benefit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone put anything on the rear cassette when lubing the chain?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [bmsumpter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmsumpter wrote:

I just run the chain up and down the cassette, one cog at a time for a few revolutions, to get some of the lube on each one.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

You guys crack me up...3 in 1 is within 1.5W of the best liquid option in that study...and on a performance/price basis, probably the winner. Actually, that was the main takeaway from that article: the vast majority of chain lube options are within 1-1.5W of the best (I'm not including the wax option because I don't really consider that a practical alternative...based on experience).

THIS.

That chart looks damning... until you read the Y axis units. The differences between most chain lubes amount to less than 1.5-2W. Might be significant if trying to win a Pro ITT. Might. If you aren't a Pro ITT star just use whatever lube attracts less dirt.

This +2

Aso what was reported about the durability of wax goes against my own experience. I found it did not last long at all and the slightest , briefest bit rain made it worthless.

Second, who gives a shit if your chain leaves a mark on your leg? Wipe your chain down after riding and don't touch your chain with your freaking leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [AmaDablam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ another 1... wax is great if you live in a desert(ish) area as it won't collect that dry dusty film like an oil-based wet lube, but it sucks royally where I live as it'll get washed away barely halfway into the first rainy ride. I use a variety of oil-based lubes in varying weights depending on how much rain they expect to see; very lightweight for the race bikes, a thick gooey oil for the rain & commuter bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

do you remove the original stuff that comes with a new chain? if so, how do you do it?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:
Tom,

do you remove the original stuff that comes with a new chain? if so, how do you do it?

Yes. I typically just put the new chain in a ziploc bag and spray it down with WD40 and let it soak for a bit. The I just remove it and wipe it with a clean rag, install, and apply the lube of choice.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ziploc bag - brilliant! I was wasting a ton of solvent by soaking chains in a container. Thanks

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [hedgefund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post: The best chain lube isn't marketed to cyclists hence it is not tested. Any of the Mobil 1 synthetics for hybrid vehicles is far superior to any marketed cycling specific lube. You're welcome.
Nice, I have to try this. I just picked up a quart of chain saw lube (for the bar), for $4. I put on each link to soak in, then wiped clean. I am hoping that the sticky lube will stay put more than others will.

But Mobil 1 sounds like another really good option. I tried Teflon, however, the oil based lubes seem to work better and protect the chain more from the wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS sold me "Purple Extreme".
I have no idea if this stuff is good or not.

Goes on wet, I wipe it off and then dries to a more waxy finish. Seems to do a good job at not picking up too much dirt. I can put quite a few hundred miles into her in the dry dusty conditions that I ride before it starts looking black. However- my chain does get a little 'squeaky' after 100miles or so.

I use one of those clip on chain cleaners every couple weeks. the Filzer (the orange one) is better than the Park(which is blue). Does an excellent job of getting all the grit off the chain and out from between the links.

I also have a bottle of the Boeshield T-9 lube and use that as well.

I use WD-40 for cleaning my bike. It's a good solvent, inexpensive and handy in a spray bottle, but its lubrication qualities are very light and don't last long.
Last edited by: morey000: May 10, 13 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
bmsumpter wrote:

I just run the chain up and down the cassette, one cog at a time for a few revolutions, to get some of the lube on each one.

Why? The friction point is the chain links. My protocol for years has been (starting with a cleaned and dry chain) to put a drop of lubricant on each link. After spinning it a few times I wipe off the excess. To my mind there is no need for lubricant on any other outward facing part of the drive train. Internal lube is quite another matter. I'm open to correction on this point, but I think getting lubricant on the cassette will have no benefit and will make dust and other stuff adhere to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [bmsumpter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We manufacture a coating that reduces friction and is baked onto cassettes and chainrings. It is a dry-film lubricant. This does not mean you can skip the lube on the chain, it just reduces mechanical friction. Meredith Kessler and Kelly Williamson both raced on it at St George last weekend.

We also manufacture chain lube...

Last edited by: QKRTNU: May 10, 13 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our team relies on Gnarlube - which not only does it duties as lube, it smells fantastic, too!

Mandatory reference: their "how to lube your chain" video (NSFW): http://vimeo.com/33946564 :)

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgran wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
bmsumpter wrote:

Why? The friction point is the chain links. My protocol for years has been (starting with a cleaned and dry chain) to put a drop of lubricant on each link. After spinning it a few times I wipe off the excess. To my mind there is no need for lubricant on any other outward facing part of the drive train. Internal lube is quite another matter. I'm open to correction on this point, but I think getting lubricant on the cassette will have no benefit and will make dust and other stuff adhere to it.

It's just something I've always done - maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. It's never caused me any problems and I clean my cassette and chain often enough that significant dirt buildup never happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Park Tools chain lube
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chain Lube [rhett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the friction study. Looks like I will be switching lubes. Hell yes 2 watts matter to me. It's 2 free watts. I for one am more than willing to pick us the extra watts on a $7 bottle of lube.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.”
¯ Desmond Tutu
Quote Reply

Prev Next