Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Bike Split... Users.
Quote | Reply
Just about to pull the trigger and sign up, using the 35% code.
Thought I'd do a quick search here first, to see what you guys think, but there is very little out there...

So, any users on here care to share their thoughts on this product, please...

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it to be pretty accurate. Plus you can use it as a virtual wind tunnel to test equipment. Ride a short course, go back to put actual weather conditions in, change equipment, ride it again, compare your numbers. It's a lot of work but it can give you a good idea.

Quote | Reply
Thanks.
I just bagged a pair of Recon Jets, dirt cheap, and thought they may help, when it's all sync'd with Garmin, to give like a HUD cheat sheet, amongst other things...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully this will be less work in the near future!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... A new development on the horizon?...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always working on new developments! Often it's in the background around the model etc, but this winter we are focusing more on user facing features. The latest dev work is very sensitive to certain variables so we want to make sure the wind data we are pulling and the elevation correction we implement in is as accurate as possible. More to come soon.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was scarey accurate the one time I used it - like within 2.5 mins over an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that on the trial I used, but more interested in the validity/ need of the other features, and their practical uses...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good enough for me, I just pulled the trigger on a Premium membership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
Always working on new developments! Often it's in the background around the model etc, but this winter we are focusing more on user facing features. The latest dev work is very sensitive to certain variables so we want to make sure the wind data we are pulling and the elevation correction we implement in is as accurate as possible. More to come soon.

Sounds very interesting!

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I wasn't even aware they had other features.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does BBS only work with kickr? or any smart trainer?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are referring to the ELEMNT integration. With the ELEMNT and the KICKR you can simulate a BBS race course based on gradient, head/tail wind, drag and rolling resistance adjustments for each section of the course. The BBS plan will then give you the power target for these sections. On an Edge (520/810/1000) unit you can simulate a course on several FE-C smart trainers; however it is limited to elevation changes only so it gives a less realistic simulation.

If you want to train on a plan similar to a normal workout we do have output workout files based on the power plan that are compatible with most training software such as TrainerRoad or Zwift. These workouts are ERG based so they will control the smart trainer. If you have it set that way or you on TrainerRoad we have the gradient on screen as well so you can adjust your cadence to better simulate what it would be like on race day.

Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Dec 24, 16 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, let me say that it's a very well developed app. The user interface is good and the features are well thought out and useful. Some people use it just to predict their bike times for a race, which IMO is cool but is not primarily what I use it for. Some things that I use a lot:

- advanced weather feature helps me to fine tune my race pacing. For example if a big headwind is going to pick up in the latter part of the race, I make sure that I leave enough juice in the tank to ride hard through it.
- the same feature helps me with equipment selection. For example, the general weather forecast at the race start may predict 20 mph winds, but 50 miles down the road that could be 60 mph winds. I'm not going to ride my 808 up front in 60 mph winds.
- race modeling allows you to adjust the rider weight and see the result on your overall time. I find that especially useful when I'm planning my season, and let's say I have an important bike race that is 9 months away. I can see that being 10lbs lighter could gain me 8 minutes, so it would be worth the effort to lose 10lbs, even if I lost a few watts of power in the process. But on another race, being 10lbs might only gain me 2 minutes. For that race, I would rather not invest the effort in weight loss, since being heavier may in fact help me sustain a higher power output.
- equipment choice for particular terrain: for Ultraman Hawaii, I modeled 808, 404 and 303 front wheels to see the impact on time savings. The 808 would have bought me a few minutes "on paper" but with the high winds I would have been slower than predicted (my brain told me that, not the software). But there was very little difference between the 404 and 303, just a few seconds. And modeling the weight difference on that hilly course, I felt it would be a wash between those 2 wheels. So I chose a 303 because the handling would be so much better, without much (or any) time penalty. I also modeled the weight savings of ditching certain equipment for the climbs and incorporated that into my planning.
- pacing for a specific time goal: Using ultraman 2016 again, BBS helped me calculate that with the 2015 day 1 conditions, I'd need to ride about 245 watts to equal the fastest 2015 day 1 time. But using 2016 weather, I'd have to ride 340+ watts which is impossible for me. So before I started the race, my expectation was that I would be more than 40 minutes slower than if conditions were the same as 2015. That helps both develop a pacing strategy for the day, but also a nutrition plan that accounts for being out on the course much longer than expected.
- finally, a cool thing that you can do with a bit of hacking/workaround is to save the power plan file to your garmin, giving you an "ETA" on race day, based on your power plan. This can be both good and bad. At Ironman Boulder I planned out a 4:26 bike split, which I could see I was on track for, until I got a flat and was sidelined for 15 minutes. Since that was my only real goal for the race, I was then without purpose and didn't really enjoy the remainder of the race. My preference is to just "go through the process" on race day and the outcome is what it is, instead of having time goals for each leg. But it was cool to do that and it kept me very engaged in my pacing, until it didn't!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense, thanks!

Solid input Robgray.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great insight Rob. Always love hearing how people are using it! Soon it will be a much easier to get plans onto a Garmin (at least the newer ones) and be able to follow the plan once it's there.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add that BBS can be a fantastic training tool when paired with Trainer Road. I used the workout creator tool to create trainer sessions using the BBS power profile for my races this year. Riding the course virtually weekly allowed me to experiment with different intensity factors to dial in my pacing strategy, bred familiarity with the course and resulted in much confidence on race day.

Last edited by: GreatScott: Dec 24, 16 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, have to ask, did you ride IMC at an IF of 0.82? How was the run, after?

Thanks for posting those screen shots, I haven't gotten around to trying that with BBS but look forward to it for some of my longer trainer rides in the spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Trainer Road, too and have downloaded a couple of profiles for training, based on the BBS power stats.
Not had time to use them yet, but hope to in the New Year ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question! Looking back, I can see that training ride exceeded BBS target of .79 IF (as indicated by the spread between the yellow (actual) and blue (target) line in the screen shot). I found that training at higher intensity made for an "easy" bike segment on race day. I ended up racing at .78 IF and enjoyed every minute of the ride.

Training at those higher intensities also provides an opportunity to see how easy it is to blow up your run by over biking. I generally did a one hour run-off those .82 IF rides and was pretty much shattered at the end of the session. On the other hand, running off .78 felt great (for the first two hours or so).

Which brings us back to the real benefit of BBS. Bike smart and race better!

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Dec 24, 16 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about subscribing to BBS, but I'm having a hard time justifying the $20/month subscription (I'm a broke kid on a budget).

Is it really worth it? I think it'd be very interesting to play around with to figure out race time estimates, but once you get this info does it lose its luster?!? Is it something that you regularly use? The "free trail" addition doesnt really let me use any of the features, so it's hard for me to gauge how I'd use it...

And when do these 35% off coupons come out?? That could ease the burden some too! Thanks for any input!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
I've been thinking about subscribing to BBS, but I'm having a hard time justifying the $20/month subscription (I'm a broke kid on a budget).

Is it really worth it? I think it'd be very interesting to play around with to figure out race time estimates, but once you get this info does it lose its luster?!? Is it something that you regularly use? The "free trail" addition doesnt really let me use any of the features, so it's hard for me to gauge how I'd use it...

And when do these 35% off coupons come out?? That could ease the burden some too! Thanks for any input!

The annual subscription rate is half the price of the monthly. Google search for discount codes as there seem to be 25% off premium annual subscriptions offered to coaches and bloggers.

You should just set up the free account and try it. You won't be missing out on much with the free version besides the convenience of multiple setups and races. Everything I use it for with premium was available under the free version except duplicating races.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the free version and while it's a bit cumbersome not being able to save multiple bikes, for example, it's still very usable and useful. If it was cheaper I might consider subscribing but I think it's too steep for my purposes as it stands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
If you want to train on a plan similar to a normal workout we do have output workout files based on the power plan that are compatible with most training software such as TrainerRoad or Zwift. These workouts are ERG based so they will control the smart trainer.

I'm a big fan of the power-based course simulations, but I've recently discovered one little foible.

If I simulate a course with a steep (10%+) hill, allowing a maximum power of 125% FTP, BBS will throw out a power plan that has me riding at (or near) 125% FTP up that hill.

However if I try & ride that hill in real life, even in the easiest gear & rather low cadence I'm having to put out >>125% FTP just to get up it.

It's likely that I could use speed to highlight the possibility of this in other courses, but it would be great to have some warning of this during the plan generation.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
Mrcooper wrote:
If you want to train on a plan similar to a normal workout we do have output workout files based on the power plan that are compatible with most training software such as TrainerRoad or Zwift. These workouts are ERG based so they will control the smart trainer.

I'm a big fan of the power-based course simulations, but I've recently discovered one little foible.

If I simulate a course with a steep (10%+) hill, allowing a maximum power of 125% FTP, BBS will throw out a power plan that has me riding at (or near) 125% FTP up that hill.

However if I try & ride that hill in real life, even in the easiest gear & rather low cadence I'm having to put out >>125% FTP just to get up it.

It's likely that I could use speed to highlight the possibility of this in other courses, but it would be great to have some warning of this during the plan generation.

BBS assumes you have sufficient gearing. Get more teeth and you'll be set.
Quote Reply

Prev Next