Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike
Quote | Reply
I am in search of a travel bag for a tri bike that I do not have to take apart the front end.. any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike [JAG575] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a few and now have had the Scicon Triathlon bag for the last couple of seasons. No breakdown other than wheels and great quality! I ride an IA FRD and it has been awesome! Highly recommend especially if you have a bike with a somewhat intricate cockpit and don't want to take the whole thing apart every time....

DM

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as dmounts, I have the same bag and use it for both road and tri bikes with almost no disassembly. No front end removal or adjustments at all, I just take the wheels and pedals off. I can pack/unpack it in about 15 minutes tops and that's being somewhat anal about it. On the last trip I did I removed the rear derailleur and chain as well just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if you ever want to skip the bag fees and feel the least bit comfortable with taking the bars off, I suggest an armored hen house. I love mine and it's already paid for itself in saved fees.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier Tactical Bike case, some airlines wont honor claims on soft sided bike cases.

https://www.premierbike.com/products/bike-travel-case
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JAG575 wrote:
I am in search of a travel bag for a tri bike that I do not have to take apart the front end.. any suggestions?

I bought the Scicon Aerocomfort a few months ago for my new P5. Shipped it out and back from Philly to Des Moines and the bike was damaged on both
legs of the trip....even used lots of extra bubble wrap. Others like it....maybe my bad luck. Can't take any more chances so I just (last week) bought the Premier Tactical hard case. Haven't used it yet but initial reaction is positive......seems robust enough and better reinforced in the critical areas.....wheels and skewer holes than the Scicon Aerotech. Holds three wheels and no need to dismantle basebar. Don't know what kind of bike you have.....I still need to dismantle P5 front end.....but can't trust a soft case.
Last edited by: gphin305: Nov 17, 17 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does premier offer any kind of discount for ST members? I thought I remember reading something about a discount.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We offer a discount on optimized chains -$25 “sickle”.

If you pm me after your purchase I’ll make sure you get the same discount on the case,

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Does premier offer any kind of discount for ST members? I thought I remember reading something about a discount.

I suggest contacting (email) Dan Kennison directly.....he's been very responsive with my communication during my purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there..just wondering why you would need to dismantle the P5 front end with this bike box? I too have the P5 and a Scicon...and the last few trips have left me a bit concerned - notably this last one in which my front end was totally skewed to one side after I got the bike bag back from the airlines.

I am traveling overseas next year to race in Frankfurt and am very worried about using the bag.

It looks like since you don't need to take the basebar off - that the front end of the P5 could stay intact... it's just the aerobar extensions that would need to be removed along with the seatpost (and wheels obviously)?

Thanks so much.

Quote | Reply
After watching (just picture a soft case) I think I would limit my choices to hard cases. LOL. I don't think a soft-sided case stands a chance in the long run. How can you be shocked if your bike gets tweaked?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike [jar70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jar70 wrote:
Hi there..just wondering why you would need to dismantle the P5 front end with this bike box? I too have the P5 and a Scicon...and the last few trips have left me a bit concerned - notably this last one in which my front end was totally skewed to one side after I got the bike bag back from the airlines.

I am traveling overseas next year to race in Frankfurt and am very worried about using the bag.

It looks like since you don't need to take the basebar off - that the front end of the P5 could stay intact... it's just the aerobar extensions that would need to be removed along with the seatpost (and wheels obviously)?

Thanks so much.

My P5 is a 2015 model and the extensions cannot be removed from the basebar....not enough play in the cables to pull them completely out. Are you sure yours have enough cable to remove them? Maybe check the "official P-5" thread here regarding this issue.....maybe you can with newer models? I had the same problem with the Scicon Aerocomfort bag....front end totally skewed on the leg out. On the leg back, one of the extension shifters was totally smashed. Before buying the Premier Tactical, I wanted to make sure I was comfortable removing the front end and it's really not that bad....remove front brake and a few bolts from the stem/cap. I bought the Premier knowing that I really couldn't take advantage of the basebar feature but wanted a hardcase more robust than the Scicon Aerotech which completely fell apart on me over the last couple years.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike [TriA6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used my Pika Packworks since 2008, with numerous domestic trips and even more intl long haul trips - ZERO damage. Does 10 years count for the long run?

I've seen these bike bag threads time and again, and damage almost always comes down to the packing, and seems to be more a function of TSA improperly re-packing a hard case and forcing bike parts to rub on each other or crush each other in order to close it. The one exception seems to be the Scicon Aerocomfort bag mentioned above. In virtually every thread, folks have shared stories of the bike being damaged in that particular case. Although the majority have not had problems with the case, there are simply too many incidences of damage, and I would avoid it all costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see that Blue has a new soft bag that comes with some awesome padded velcro was for the bike. Great idea!

https://buy-blue.com/...vel-case-with-wheels

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Bag for Trithalon Bike [jar70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jar70 wrote:

Thanks so much.

FYI, as a follow up to my earlier post, Adrian from Cervelo just confirmed to me that the extensions cannot be removed from the basebar on the P5 without disconnecting and reconnecting the derailleur cables.....in other words, removing the front brake and fork is an easier process. I've had my Premier Tactical case for a few days now and will be doing a brief review comparing to my Scicon Aerotech over the next couple of days. Again, once you practice taking apart the P5 headset a couple of times, it's no big deal. I won't trust the Scicon Aerocomfort again.
Quote Reply