Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best BTA Water Bottle Cage?
Quote | Reply
Currently using a Bontrager Race Lite cage zip tied BTA. Had some launching issues so thinking of trying a better one. Any recommendations for a good one that is cheap (not looking for a $50 carbon one) that doesn't launch but is still easy enough to get bottles in and out of while in aero?

thanks all!

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Best BTA Water Bottle Cage? [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
speedfil z4, it has a built in garmin twist mount, and extra zip tie mounting holes

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Best BTA Water Bottle Cage? [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree on teh z4

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:
speedfil z4, it has a built in garmin twist mount, and extra zip tie mounting holes

^^This.

Quote | Reply
^^ That

It's really the best priced option you're going to get for around the price range you want. If you want to throw down the coin though, and I haven't tried it out, but I am kind of in love with the new Zipp Vuka BTA and it's "bolted-in" option. The Z4, no matter how tight the twist ties will still feel not feel 100% solid when you remove/install bottles. I like options that are solid and immovable like the Zipp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read great things about the Nathan system if you want to drop $75.

I bought an $8 profile design cage and zip tied it. I then bought a camelback big bite and put homebrew hose into an old bottle. $12 total. Looks bootleg but it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Speedfill a2 with zip ties - no bottle cage at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XLab Torpedo cage or Gorilla cage. Sometimes zip tied, currently mounted on a carbon Torpedo Mount.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Best BTA Water Bottle Cage? [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
competative cyclist has the zipp carbon cages normally $60 on sale for $25. they are very good cages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my current setup... XLab Torpedo in a carbon Torpedo cage (I bought the upgrade, not the 100/400) mounted on a carbon Torpedo mount. I have it Ziptied right now instead of the Velcro straps. I also removed the dolphin tale and use super strong magnets on the straw and the body to hold it down.

The Edge 810 is not mounted to the Torpedo mount, but rather on a homemade mount.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Ribcage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:

Like the cage, not a fan of having my Garmin up on top though. I was using the Profile Designs Aero HC with my 810 strapped on top. Not exactly worth the BTA if you're going to put a huge brick on top of it.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Best BTA Water Bottle Cage? [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp Bta mount puts the garmin out front, it is awesome. And it was designed with input from rappstar, which is also good.
Last edited by: dongustav: Jun 12, 14 3:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We tested numerous water bottle cages during the development of our BTA mount and cage. It is surprising how quickly cages that you think are strong eject bottles readily in the horizontal position. There are only three cages I would say are "ejection proof": the Zipp BTA carbon cage, SBC Rib Cage and X-Lab Gorilla cage.

Last edited by: waitebe: Jun 11, 14 18:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x-lab gorilla is good, better than most. Your bottle ain't going any where. The only downside is that it takes a bit of effort to get in and out, which is why it works in the first place.

...But this bottle cage (the Tortec Air Cage), I like better!
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...air-cage/tortbotc260

It's made of fairly flexible plastic with rubberized grips around the cage that keeps the bottle from sliding / launching forward. It's flexible enough that it's a breeze to pull bottles out / push them back in at any angle.

For the price, I think you'll be very happy. I have the tortec and the gorilla cage, ...and I prefer the tortec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you mount it backwards (opening facing you), any cage works.
Quote Reply
Re: Best BTA Water Bottle Cage? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Specialized Ribcage.

This. I've never launched a bottle from a ribcage and they are less than $20.
Quote Reply
Re: Best BTA Water Bottle Cage? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rib cage or xlab gorilla. Awesome!!

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Best BTA Water Bottle Cage? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
owen. wrote:
Specialized Ribcage.

This. I've never launched a bottle from a ribcage and they are less than $20.

I have a couple carbon Ribcages, ejected a bottle on a Carbon Wing behind the saddle mount. I use them on the frame mounts and like them alot, just not on the back.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Profile Design Kage in the front with great success. It cost me $3.49 at price point. Same as the XLAB P-cage for less $$. I found that zip ties bounce around too much so I built my own carbon fiber BTA mount from 6x9, 1.2mm carbon fiber sheets I found at the hobby shop. I dremel cut to the desired width, sand down the edges and drill the holes. I have extra left from the sheet so if I ever change the width of my bars I just make new ones.[/img][/img][/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the z4 but the thing is so flimsy. Moving a bottle in and out feels like you're going to break the cage off no matter how you have it imo.
Quote Reply