Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best 2 bike hitch platform rack
Quote | Reply
In the market for a 2 bike hitch platform rack... What's everyone's thoughts on some of the following I'm looking at. I'm only going to use this a handful of times a year, so I'm torn on spending a ton of money...

Thule T2 Classic
Yakima Hold Up 2

Both those seem to be about the same quality and price range. Or, is it really worth the extra $200 or so to get one of the following:

Kuat NV
1Up

Again, will only be using this around 8 times a year more than likely... However, it will be holding roughly $8K in bikes. I'm leaning towards the new designed Thule T2 Classic over the Yakima. I just can't decide if it's really that worth another $200+ to go with the Kuat or 1Up...?
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2 bike hitch platform rack [estubbart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1up is badass. $8k worth of bikes is worth $200 extra dollars to spend and have an awesome rack. Just my opinion :) I am sure they are all pretty good from what I have read on here, but I absolutely love my 1up rack
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2 bike hitch platform rack [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuat Sherpa was what I ended up going with after looking at a few; very happy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an older Yakima Hold Up which I really like.
That said, you can't go wrong with Kuat or 1Up.

However, if you get a chance to look at the Swagman Semi 2.0 . . wow. A little heavy (no more so than the Hold Up) but fantastic features. My LBS had one they had on sale over the winter and I ALMOST bought it anyway. It easily converts from 1 1/2" receiver to 2", tilts down out of the way so you can open the trunk if you have bikes loaded, built in lock/cables, etc. Really really nice bike rack.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't speak for the others but I love my kuat nv. I've used every feature, including the repair stand extension while at a race. My brother has the Thule that costs about the same and I prefer mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely recommend the Kuat - worth the extra money? How much were the bikes again?

Quote | Reply
I have the Thule T2, works great. I'm similar to you in usage so didn't want to overspend for the stability and ease which I don't think this does, that's what kept me away from the kuat though it looks pretty. However, looking back the 1-up does seem ideal, I think if u got that you'd be good for life, sometimes I wish I would have just done that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 UP X2!! No pun intended.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2 bike hitch platform rack [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 1-up rack and it's great. It takes like 5 seconds to put the bike on and lock down both wheels. Very happy with the purchase and it was worth the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 upusa. Best out there. No plastic junk. Very easy to use and secure. Also have the option to make it just for 1 bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a 4 bike (add ons) 1upusa . . . awesome! You will never regret it.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like you, I only rarely require a rack. I was tempted by the 1up but ended up getting a cheap Curt 18084 on Amazon. It's no design beauty, but I've been happy with it and the 1up at multiples of the price seemed like overkill for my purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up ordering a 1Up today and bit the bullet. Seemed like there was a lot of positive things to say about them and it's a product that will last. I'll also have peace of mind with our bikes... Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
estubbart wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up ordering a 1Up today and bit the bullet. Seemed like there was a lot of positive things to say about them and it's a product that will last. I'll also have peace of mind with our bikes... Thanks again!

You won't regret it. I have one and it is the last bike rack I'll ever need to buy. If you like to buy things once and use it for life (or pretty close) you will be satisfied with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thule T2 all the way.

My girlfriend wanted a new rack so I got her a new rack for her birthday. One that everyone remarks is very appealing.

Jokes aside, I got her the T2 and it has worked awesomely for several years now with lots of on and off the car mounting of MTB's, CX bikes, road bikes, TT bikes.. A friend even has the 4 bike rack that we have used on occasion for stage races.

I saw an updated version at OR last year but it isn't showing on Thule's website. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong here with the T2. Just my opinion.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2 bike hitch platform rack [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have had Thule, Kuat and now 1-up. 1-up is like going to Di2 from a walmart bike with no-name components. 1-up provides flexibility for those who only transport one bike too, but can easily be expanded to 2-4. It's that nice.
Quote Reply