Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks,

I used to be pretty fit my whole life (Team Sports) but about 5 years ago I became very lazy. About 3 Months ago i decided to get my ***** moving again and began training the triathlon disciplines (one of the three everyday for 6 days a week).
To monitor my training i bought a HR Watch (TomTom Multisport Cardio) and noticed that my HR is very high especially while running:

My Resting HR : 55
While Running 7min / km or even slower: 180
While Running <5min / km 187
Highest HR i can maintain for a "not so long" time: 196

I have no problem running for 20km and more and i don't even feel super tired after having such a high HR for more than an hour. Can you give me any advice on how to improve that? Is my breathing wrong? should i simply train at a very slow pace for some time? or should i visit a cardiologist?

Many thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [Vanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to say based on just a post, but it's highly possible you just lack general aerobic fitness after taking a lot of time off. You likely need to run slower than 7min/km. Also I am not sure how accurate or not so accurate the TomTom is (believe it uses opitcal HR). Maybe instead of shooting for a certain pace, try to run/jog at a pace that allows you to easily carry on a conversation. This should line up well with a zone 2 effort See if that correlates to a lower average HR. Once you have some basic fitness run a 5k or 10k to establish your run zones.

Vanity wrote:
Hi Folks,

I used to be pretty fit my whole life (Team Sports) but about 5 years ago I became very lazy. About 3 Months ago i decided to get my ***** moving again and began training the triathlon disciplines (one of the three everyday for 6 days a week).
To monitor my training i bought a HR Watch (TomTom Multisport Cardio) and noticed that my HR is very high especially while running:

I have no problem running for 20km and more and i don't even feel super tired after having such a high HR for more than an hour. Can you give me any advice on how to improve that? Is my breathing wrong? should i simply train at a very slow pace for some time? or should i visit a cardiologist?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by: JustinNorCal: May 21, 17 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks, i guess i'll borrow a HR with a strap not an optical one an check again...
I try to slow things down, but i usually don't have problems holding a conversation when running a "normal" speed but still have a HR around 180... :S

Regards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolute HR is super personal and doesn't tell you much. You may have a very high peak HR

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in my 20s, my heart rate was always around 189 beats per minute while running. My max was around 212.

I am 52 now and my heart rate is around 178 beats per minute while running.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [Freddo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do i determine my peak HR best?

Regards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run really fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vanity wrote:
Many thanks, i guess i'll borrow a HR with a strap not an optical one an check again...
I try to slow things down, but i usually don't have problems holding a conversation when running a "normal" speed but still have a HR around 180... :S

Regards

Just corroborate the TomTom pulse reading with a quick pulse check. Two fingers to your wrist, count the pumps for 6 seconds, multiply by 10.

Often, wrist based optical HR sensors suffer from 'cadence lock', where they will register your cadence instead of HR. For Garmins, this is usually 'left foot cadence', so normal values will be 80-90. Who knows? Maybe TomTom's algorithm is different and catches both feet, thus your 180+ readings.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's reassuring to hear! many thanks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While resting it seems more or less accurate, but i need to test it while running again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does your breathing feel?

Vanity wrote:
Hi Folks,

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by: Trev: May 21, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to focus on breathing in a 2-times in, 2-times out rythm in line with my stride, but i sometimes feel like i don't get enough oxygen that way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to think about breathing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably have a very high max HR. You might consider getting a lactate threshold/VO2 Max test done. The old 220 - your age equals max HR is waaay off for many people. Also, like others have said, run more and get to know your paces better.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [ECamp23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run with my friend. Same age. My Zone 2 easy heart rate is 150, his is 178. It is a pretty individual thing as people have mentioned. Either look up "lactate field test" on the Google or else see if anyone nearby can do a Blood Lactate Test for you.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Vanity wrote:

Regards

Just corroborate the TomTom pulse reading with a quick pulse check. Two fingers to your wrist, count the pumps for 6 seconds, multiply by 10.

Often, wrist based optical HR sensors suffer from 'cadence lock', where they will register your cadence instead of HR. For Garmins, this is usually 'left foot cadence', so normal values will be 80-90. Who knows? Maybe TomTom's algorithm is different and catches both feet, thus your 180+ readings.
I use a Scosche Rythm+ for HR on most of my runs. It's generally pretty reliable but I have had a couple of runs where the values drifted or a minute or two and ended up synching with my cadence. I generally run with a cadence between 180 and 195 depending on pace and that's where my HR settled. After re-positioning and tightening the strap it returned to correct HR in both cases. This is a feasible cause but I'd be surprised if this was happening consistently!
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I use a Scosche Rythm+ for HR on most of my runs.

Nice, yes the Scosche is pretty accurate. When it cadence locks, it also defaults to one foot cadence, so you'd like see 90-100BPM. FWIW, I always found the best spot for it in the cleft between bicep and shoulder muscle, strapped down somewhat tight, so that after, I could see a pretty clear impression. Even better if you can pull a short sleeve over it to block out a little extra light.

Just continue to take data and see what is normal for you. Remember, '220-your age' is based on a bell curve. It is great for characterizing a population, but worthless for describing an individual. The idea is that as you get fitter, you'll go faster at the same HR or lower HR at the same pace (or maybe faster pace AND lower HR). Those are good signs.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
I use a Scosche Rythm+ for HR on most of my runs.

Nice, yes the Scosche is pretty accurate. When it cadence locks, it also defaults to one foot cadence, so you'd like see 90-100BPM. FWIW, I always found the best spot for it in the cleft between bicep and shoulder muscle, strapped down somewhat tight, so that after, I could see a pretty clear impression. Even better if you can pull a short sleeve over it to block out a little extra light.

Just continue to take data and see what is normal for you. Remember, '220-your age' is based on a bell curve. It is great for characterizing a population, but worthless for describing an individual. The idea is that as you get fitter, you'll go faster at the same HR or lower HR at the same pace (or maybe faster pace AND lower HR). Those are good signs.
Actually what I've seen is that it synched to both feet and therefore gave a HR around 185 or so which is my typical cadence. I can't imagine this is specific to the device but rather to the way it's worn. I assume what's happening is that when fitted a little lose, some light sneaks in between skin and device. That gap likely varies as your arms/torso moves and as you accelerate up and down with your gait. Light may get in every footfall or just for right or left, depending on a multitude of variables.

I wear mine in the same place above my bicep with the device on the front of my arm and it's generally very reliable.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weird. Does tightening down the strap fix it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Only happened on one or two occasions when the strap wasn't tight enough or had clothing caught in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the opposite going on, I have a hard time getting my heart rate in the 170's..

At the end of last year I did a lactate treshold test, where my max heartrate was 176 (25 y/o, 5'7.5", 152pounds).
They suggested I'd implement more intervaltraining as well, where I get my heartrate above my zone (upper limit is 167 bpm),
but I'm having a hard time actually getting to that point..
I can do a 5k at 4min25/k (7min04/mile) at an average heartrate of only 157 and max of 161..
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
I have the opposite going on, I have a hard time getting my heart rate in the 170's..

At the end of last year I did a lactate treshold test, where my max heartrate was 176 (25 y/o, 5'7.5", 152pounds).
They suggested I'd implement more intervaltraining as well, where I get my heartrate above my zone (upper limit is 167 bpm),
but I'm having a hard time actually getting to that point..
I can do a 5k at 4min25/k (7min04/mile) at an average heartrate of only 157 and max of 161..

Not sure what definition of "your zone" you are using, nor exactly what protocol you used for your LT test. But, its mostly irrelevant to the question you are implying....

What you are describing (decrease in average HR for a 20min effort) is pretty normal as you get more fit. Hint: no one wins races for having the highest heart-rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about the absolute number. I also run a very high heart rate. Closing in on 50 years old, my theoretical max HR is 220-50 = 170. But I hit 170 on any meaningful run, I race marathons over 170, 10k's over 180, miles over 190.

I assume this is just from having a congenitally small and evil heart. It has nothing to do with my fitness, except that the more fit I get, the higher a HR I can hold for a longer time.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good to hear! many thanks :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next