Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes!
Quote | Reply
these positions are not what we all had in mind when we got together in the 1980s to make bikes specifically for the use of aerobars.

not everyone, mind you, but a number who are primarily ITU racers (and who are very, very good ITU racers!) look like fish out of water on tri bikes. maybe better just to have brought your road bikes to the race? and, of the specialized riders? specialized? you out there? did you drive up to spectate this race? you happy with this?

to my friend pat cunnane: greg billington is a star studded stud runner and a very good athlete and he'd have won the race perhaps if he wasn't positioned like a deformed pretzel.

to my friend rob gitelis: you're getting ready to take the world by storm with the factor brand, and you have one of the truly great talents on your bike. barely on your bike. threatening to slide off the back of it.

[/kiley mode]

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 13, 17 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of them looked fine to me. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
these positions are not what we all had in mind when we got together in the 1980s to make bikes specifically for the use of aerobars.

not everyone, mind you, but a number who are primarily ITU racers (and who are very, very good ITU racers!) look like fish out of water on tri bikes. maybe better just to have brought your road bikes to the race? and, of the specialized riders? specialized? you out there? did you drive up to spectate this race? you happy with this?

to my friend pat cunnane: greg billington is a star studded stud runner and a very good athlete and he'd have won the race perhaps if he wasn't positioned like a deformed pretzel.

to my friend rob gitelis: you're getting ready to take the world by storm with the factor brand, and you have one of the truly great talents on your bike. barely on your bike. threatening to slide off the back of it.

[/kiley mode]

I think Greg Billington put all his effort into avoiding any "your seat's to high"-comments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of those pictures are perfect examples of folks being fitted to a bike and not the bike being fitted to them.

sigh....

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and i'm sure if mauricio was in his bars we'd see another questionable one. and if max fennell was in his bars, we'd see another questionable one. also why isn't collington running the bottle? the bottle is faster, even if it's empty. and yea, billington debuting that brand spanking new bike from kestrel with that position is pretty disappointing.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jun 13, 17 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see Paula Findlay back in the mix.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
billington debuting that brand spanking new bike from kestrel with that position is pretty disappointing.

But what is more disappointing the position or the new bike by Kestrel?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised more don't race on their road bikes. Maybe it's because they feel pressured by their sponsor to race on a bike that's designed for non-draft racing. I remember talking to Hunter Kemper about this a few years ago. He routinely won races on the Life Time circuit on his road bike. Said he just never felt as comfortable on his TT bike and knew he could run faster off his road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, I'm not one usually to comment on positions but some of those were funny. When I first looked through them I honestly thought the Billington one was of an age grouper that slipped into the photo set. That was before I scrolled down to the caption. Katie looks like she's riding a loaner bike that she picked up 5 mins before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMEN! I still think Gwen's stint on the S-Works Shiv for Island House was one of the most ridiculous looking things I've seen in a long time and an epic PR fail for Specialized.
Last edited by: velox canis: Jun 13, 17 10:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just awful, really.

Meanwhile you have half these people rocking round bottles on the down tube and/or seat tube. In an Olympic. That didn't have a swim.

Shameful.
Last edited by: kileyay: Jun 13, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We should start a "good bike fit of the week/month" segment/thread/etc to bring awareness to this disastrous monstrosity of bike fits.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
billington debuting that brand spanking new bike from kestrel with that position is pretty disappointing.

But what is more disappointing the position or the new bike by Kestrel?

It looks like the photo was taken just as he was looking up.
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just because someone is a pro does not mean they have any idea how to set up a bike. Last weekend at Boulder I saw some truly eyebrow raising setups on the pro rack.

The Ceramic Speed oversized pulley system must have been on the bike of an athlete trying to squeak out every advantage, yet they had 2 round bottles inside the triangle. Nothing at all behind the seat.

And the pro with the brand new Trek Speed Concept with two massive nutrition bars taped on top of each side of his base bars, long ways to the wind.

Lots of pros without disc wheels. Running slow tires. All sorts of bad decisions.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velox canis wrote:
AMEN! I still think Gwen's stint on the S-Works Shiv for Island House was one of the most ridiculous looking things I've seen in a long time and an epic PR fail for Specialized.

There, I fixed it.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...se_overall_6092.html

All I see are high-profile, Specialized-sponsored ITU triathletes, winning. Frequently.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 13, 17 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair...reaching a bit with that last part. Yes, she wins a lot, but anyone with a decent bit of knowledge knows she (or anyone else in that position) looked like a donkey humping a camel humping an octopus on that thing. For all the money and bikes she gets can't they hook the lady up with a decent fit? She'd probably go even faster
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so...pros and / or age groupers with perfect ST approved position / and set ups will always win all the races..............

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am more surprised by the number of them still racing with mechanical group sets. I count 3 if I am not mistaken.
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StuckJB wrote:
I am more surprised by the number of them still racing with mechanical group sets. I count 3 if I am not mistaken.

But a mechanical group set does not make them go any slower.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll step in and provide a new target for people's criticism (constructive hopefully)

Less than a calendar year into the sport... How am I doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:
so...pros and / or age groupers with perfect ST approved position / and set ups will always win all the races..............

Of course not.

But imagine how much faster/powerful they would be with a good position. It's the fact that these folks are professional athletes and they are leaving so much time/speed/watts on the table.

This really isn't a knock on the athletes as most just don't know any better. Their fitters and the majority of fitters these days are really doing a disservice to them and all their clients.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:

No but it sure flipping helps. Last time I had few races a couple years ago I was around 210 watts normalized and in the mid 24mph range depending on the course. If I become an aero brick like half the pros and I'm doing 250 watts for the same speed(assuming I could do it), do you think I'll run better off 210 watts or 250watts.

The fact this argument still comes up is about as amazing as the fact that I had a better position and bike setup in 2007 than a lot of pros do now.
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
I'll step in and provide a new target for people's criticism (constructive hopefully)

Less than a calendar year into the sport... How am I doing?

Seat is probably too high, you can lower the front some too if you take out the spacers. Get a disc cover. But overall better than half the pros out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:
ST approved position

what is the "ST approved position" of which you speak?

the backdrop against a statement like this is that there is no such thing as a consensus good position, or orthodox position. allowing for variances, isn't there a general consensus on what makes a good swim stroke? a good baseball bat swing? proper behavior for a pole vaulter as he approaches, plants, and vaults?

you're saying one of three things here:

1. the general notion of an orthodox technique or body position is wrongheaded;
2. there is no such thing as orthodox position in triathlon;
3. the ST idea of orthodoxy is at variance with what is truly orthodox.

which is it?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Before Kiley says it, jeebus cripes(!) it's a train wreck watching ITU racers on tri bikes! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Lots of pros without disc wheels. Running slow tires. All sorts of bad decisions.[/quote]

Just curious why so many pros weren't using a disc....anyone have thoughts?. I'm still trying to figure out my fastest combo on my new P5.....my relatively new set of Enve 8.9s or my 6 year old Zipp 404/900 disc combo for OLY distance racing.
Last edited by: gphin305: Jun 13, 17 13:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next