Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beet Juice? Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
I have been doing a little reserach on beet juice and beet crystals and am wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the matter. I've been taking a shot glass of it each morning, and feel more energy, and feel like I don't get out of breath as quickly on my workouts. It could all be in my head, and I'm fine with that, but I am interesteed to know if there is really something to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Beet Juice? Thoughts? [ThePhoenix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supposed to help oxygenate the blood a bit.

Quote | Reply
Use the search. This question has been beeten' around a lot over the past year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfinLamb is a big proponent of beet juice so you know it has to
be for real.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Beet Juice? Thoughts? [Kayastah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^this^, though I've never heard of crystals. Started loading a few days before races this year, seems fine. Hard to isolate a variable as I also cut out caffeine the week before races. No GI issues though, and it seems to have more backing it up than other things.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ergogenic wise? Did nothing for me.

Health wise? I assume more beets are good enough real food.

Taste wise? Blehhhh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is about the best info that you can find.

. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...=Nitrate+AND+Jones+A

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big advocate of it as well... I'm not a daily drinker but 8oz a day, everyday, leading into a race.

Also, FWIW, I was told by a KQ doctor that Tart Cherry juice is a must 7-10 days out as well.

And I know very little but I would think a shot glass isn't enough to give you the best results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know people who have studied it carefully at a university and got a null result, and they said they are not likely to be published because it was a null result.

something to keep in mind, with all supplements.

ThePhoenix wrote:
I have been doing a little reserach on beet juice and beet crystals and am wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the matter. I've been taking a shot glass of it each morning, and feel more energy, and feel like I don't get out of breath as quickly on my workouts. It could all be in my head, and I'm fine with that, but I am interesteed to know if there is really something to it.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought that BeetElite shit on AMZN. Holy hell it tastes bad. I can barely yack it down. I felt nothing positive or different from taking it. I took it for 6-7 days straight. That's all I could handle.
Quote Reply
Re: Beet Juice? Thoughts? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> and they said they are not likely to be published because it was a null result.

I never like that attitude because

a) a null result is still good information

b) punishing researchers (not publishing is a punishment when your reputation depends on # of publications) for null results creates a bias in researchers to produce positive/negative results.
Quote Reply
Re: Beet Juice? Thoughts? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the study that confirms a cardiac benefit to using beet juice products:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661447

Here is a study which supports using beet juice to lower blood pressure:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Coles+L+nutrition+journal

There seems to be more scientific evidence supporting beet juice claims than natural running, "slow burning" carbs, amino acid supplements, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Beet Juice? Thoughts? [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am an advocate and it's a part of my race morning routine. I don't believe that you need to do it any longer than the day before and morning of the event to see some results. I make a morning juice with 1/4-1/2lb dark cherries, 3 beetroot bulbs, 10-12 ripe strawberries, a piece of ginger root and then add that to a blender with a whole banana and some honey. Is it gross, definitely but it's fuel to please the body not taste for the tongue. HTFU get it down and even if it's mental it could give you an edge.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jul 30, 14 9:54
Quote Reply