Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beam bike winter project. What bike is this?
Quote | Reply
I picked up this carbon beam bike off craigslist as a winter project. I have no idea what brand or model of bike this is. I imagine someone here would have some kind of insight. Any help.

I'll likely strip off the paint and build it up in a nude carbon look. Should be fun. Any suggestion on the build would be cool too.

What I do know.

-650c compatible frame
-1" Fork
-Internal cable routing. Thankfully, I was able to put cables through it too. There was also frame mounts for externally routed cables (where the black squares are) but I removed them because they didn't make sense as there were no cable routing points further down on the frame.

Any insights?

Quote Reply
Re: Beam bike winter project. What bike is this? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be an older Pearson Venom (Australia)....check the website and fire him a question.

http://pearsonbikes.com/bicycles.php

Cheers and good luck with the project.
Quote Reply
Re: Beam bike winter project. What bike is this? [antlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly sure its a Carbonsport Total Eclipse, same company that builds Lightweight wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runless is correct.....
found this link:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...t=9397&start=112

Not many of these around I bet, would be worth the 'restoration'.
what did you pay for it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Please keep us posted on the build!
Quote Reply
Re: Beam bike winter project. What bike is this? [antlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun! Thanks for the info. If it was a Peason, I think I would have spotted those as I've drooled over them for ages.

I've never heard of Carbon Sports before, so thanks for the heads up (and runless too). It does look similar to the what you've posted on weight weenies, but mine must be a different year (or model). The one I have has cable routing ports on the down tube. The one from that link has the cables routed in through the head tube.

It's going to be a fun restoration. I paid $400 for what you see in the pictures (Frame, fork, headset, wheels), 105 (5600) derailleurs, and a 105 (5500) crankset + BB. ...I think that's pretty cheap for a unique bike project.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At first I thought it was the old Trek Y Foil. This was the best one I could find on google, but not quite the same:

Quote Reply
Re: Beam bike winter project. What bike is this? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely different chain stays than what I have.

I've been looking at the 'Carbon Sports' bikes and they are the closest approximation with a few key differences.

-My rear brake mounts under the BB (the ones from Carbon sports mount above the front derailleur).
-The internal cable routing placement is different between the bikes.
-Mine doesn't have any water bottle mounts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what bike it is, but will add that removing the paint will probable reveal some not so appealing carbon underneath as nude carbon frames have a cosmetic layer wrap to cover up the joints. But then again, maybe you're okay with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given how incredibly similar the general shapes are, I'd assume there were some running changes but that yours is a carbon sports. Try emailing them to see maybe.

Either way, that's a sick deal for the money.
Quote Reply
Re: Beam bike winter project. What bike is this? [snobum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update:
My Beam bike project is all painted up and on the road. I managed to buy / sell my way to the current build with a Ultegra 6700 drive train, Brezza II bars and a HED wheel set (with power tap). The biggest delay was trying to source one of those tektro r725 brakes that could fit under the bb. My LBS ordered me one (I paid in full), but still did not have it after 2 months of waiting. Fortunately, it was easy to get off ebay.

I had a -17 degree stem on, but I didn't anticipate that the drop would be much lower than what I usually ride with (16cm drop), so I put a -6 stem back on despite the fact that a -17 would look so much better.

It's a pretty smooth ride when it the drops. It does pogo's quite a bit when sitting up in the bullhorns... but maybe that's just a good reminder that you shouldn't be sitting up on a tt bike!

Anyway, it was a fun project to keep me busy in the winter. It has gotten some double / triple takes when my buddy showed up with it at our local TT race series.

[URL=http://s557.photobucket.com/...zps9ada2457.jpg.html][/url]
Last edited by: beston: Jul 26, 14 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's flippin sweet. I wish that frame would pop up on my local craigslist. Instead it's just walmart bikes...

What's e down tube like? Decent airfoil or pretty chunky?
Quote Reply
Re: Beam bike winter project. What bike is this? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky that I seem to live in a very active cycling area (Toronto). Lots of good deals to be had if you're willing to be patient.

Unfortunately, the down tube seems to have been created without any aero consideration. ...Oh well:(. It's a nice bike to ride, but I'm sticking with my P4 when the 'seconds' count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice!

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply