Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza
Quote | Reply
It's back. Do you NEED a bike? Read on: http://blog.rappstar.com/...m-you-up-scotty.html

(It's formatted better on my blog, but contents are same here.)

First thing, if anyone comes up with something as clever as "Shiv-away Giveaway" using the word "Dimond" (rhymes with diamond), you get a huge thank you (and maybe a present).

Okay, so you may remember that for (roughly) the past two years, I've given away my race bike at the end of the season. For a lot of reasons (mostly that having twins is really overwhelming), I didn't do that to start this year. I was going to do it at the end of the year, but then when it became clear that I wouldn't be back with Specialized, I had another idea. I proposed this idea to TJ early on when talking about doing a deal with Dimond, and he was in favor, so I knew that the bike giveaway would be back. Only difference is this time, instead of giving away the bike I have been riding, I'm giving away the bike I will be riding.

The crew from Dimond has agreed to give me a frame from the demo fleet to give away. On that frame, I will be putting a selection of Zipp and SRAM parts that I would have given away on my old bike. There are some caveats, like that it will require a crankset and brakes. And the aerobars will be limited to a size Medium Vuka Stealth (though with the 10mm spacer, that gives a lot of adjustability). I do not have a crankset (just like on the original Shiv giveaway; a crankset was required) to give away this time.

One other huge thing is that I can give away ANY size frameset. In the past, we had "fit" requirements. If you were 5'6", no matter how good your story, the bike wasn't for you, because you wouldn't fit it. That is no longer the case, though since the Dimond does not come in 650, if you are below about 5'5", I probably will not pick you since you really should be on a 650C bike...

So the bike will be:
Dimond frameset IN ANY SIZE!
Zipp 808 Firecrest carbon clincher front and rear
SRAM RED 2012 10spd shifters, front derailleur, rear derailleur
Zipp Vuka Stealth (size medium) with ski bend extensions and SRAM 990 brake levers

You will need to be able to provide:
Saddle
Crankset
Front and rear brakes
Pedals
Tire, tubes, rear hydration system, etc, etc, etc.

You get a bike, but the bike isn't entirely free, as you do have to buy a bike for someone else - by way of a $134 donation to World Bicycle Relief - AND make a $134 donation to a charity of your choice. To be clear, you do NOT have to do this in order to "apply." The person who receives the bike must make this gesture as a "pay-it-forward" of his/her own. In other words, IF you get this bike, THEN you must give a bike to someone via WBR and also support your own charity. That same rule applies here along with some others that I came up with as the other giveaway progressed:
You can't sell the bike for profit. This is about giving you a bike. If you want a new bike, great. You can get a new bike. But you can't SELL this bike. You must pay it forward.
Likewise the wheels and the parts, which I am going to include this year. No selling the wheels for cheaper training wheels or something like that.
Both of the wheels and parts are things I wasn't able to include in the giveaway the first year that I'm excited to include this year. I think they are tools that someone who can't afford them as a luxury should be lucky enough to use, because they do make a difference. They aren't ways to make money for you.
How will I know if you sell them? Let's just say that it's safe to say that I'll know, because there's a very, very, very good chance that I will. And you'll know, and I think that should matter more.
Same format as prior years - you can nominate someone or tell your own story. BUT, this year, because I do have three kids, and doing this is actually a lot of work, you ONLY get 250 words to tell your story. More than 250 words, I will just delete it. 250 words is a hard limit.

You need to tell me:
Your name
Your email address
Your height
Your story.
Only the "your story" part counts against 250 words. I will highlight the paragraph(s) you write, go to "Word Count," and that number better be 250 or less. Capiche?

So, what is "your story"? The way this works is simple. You tell me:
*WHY* (this is key)
*YOU* (though you can write on behalf of someone else, as Drew Ziegler's wife did; Drew got the very first bike; Freddy Galbraith got the second, also via his wife writing about him. Wives are awesome... Duh.)
*NEED* (and it must be a N-E-E-D) a bike.
I have a trusty team of five or so people that helped me last time that I'll enlist again in the evaluation of the various entries. Plus the various fact checking and internet sleuthing that I specialize in. So no funny stuff...

Questions, however, may come via Slowtwitch, Twitter, Facebook, the contact form at the right, etc, etc. Just don't ask me on Instagram, because I pretty much only use that for outgoing, not inbound.

You have until Feb 10th, 2015 (I'm in Mallorca training until then) to send these to me at: beammeup@rappstar.com

Alright, I think that's it. Now let's get someone a bike...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great thing that you are doing. I certainly would love to have this but do not N-E-E-D it, so I won't be submitting, but I'm very happy that some deserving triathlete will end up with such a sweet ride.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here I thought "New to You-ster Ruster" was kind of clever.

As always, awesome of you doing this.

--RH

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dimond to Diamonds for charity exchange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
First thing, if anyone comes up with something as clever as "Shiv-away Giveaway" using the word "Dimond" (rhymes with diamond), you get a huge thank you (and maybe a present).
Some throwaway ideas:
-- Climb on a Dimond
-- Dial In on a Dimond (maybe "Dialed on a Dimond" instead?)
-- Dimond for a Dime (ok, 2680 dimes, but whatever)

Congrats on the sponsorship.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimond N The Rapp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You demand it, We Dimond it"

let me know when you want to send me a check for that gem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Dimond in the buff

Twinkle, twinkle...Like a Dimond we supply?
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan Rapp Wants To Put A Dimond Between Your Legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dimond dividend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dimond, your forever bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimonds are a cyclist's best friend.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [boszoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boszoom wrote:

My 13 year old inner child is busting a gut right now.

Thoughts on "Ride a Rappstar's Dimond"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dimond is Yours.

Weird bilingual play on Scarface...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Free bike? Dimond if I do!
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [The Wall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm more interested in the cause and the bike than rhyming dimond.

This is a fantastic looking event - is it open internationally (or at least to us Canadians)?

I'll enter it regardless - its all about supporting those who help others anyway. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by: IronLiam: Jan 7, 15 15:05
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [IronLiam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. What an awesome thing to do. Is this a US only promotion or can Australians apply? Happy to pay for shipping ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dimond Mind-Bend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan, I assume that wanting to be more comfortable riding a beam or going faster riding an aero bike does not count as "having a need". Can you confirm?
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimond- Cut through the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you like my bike bike
Bike my Dimond bike bike.

Quote this post if you know from where I ripped it off.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [boszoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boszoom wrote:

This is my favorite so far.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [IronLiam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronLiam wrote:
I'm more interested in the cause and the bike than rhyming dimond.

This is a fantastic looking event - is it open internationally (or at least to us Canadians)?

I'll enter it regardless - its all about supporting those who help others anyway. Keep up the good work.

Yes, it is open internationally. Australia, Canada, etc. But probably not to anyone who addresses me as "dear esteemed sir or madam" and claims to know a Nigerian prince...

Quote Reply
Re: Beam YOU Up! The Third Annual Rappstar / First Annual Dimond Bike Giveaway Extravanganza [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Jordan, I assume that wanting to be more comfortable riding a beam or going faster riding an aero bike does not count as "having a need". Can you confirm?

Drew Zeigler who got the first bike was racing on a friend's borrowed bike because he sold his bike to help make ends meet at home working as a firefighter (he did not get to train on a bike because of this). Fred Galbraith has four daughters (I cry) and was racing on an entry-level road bike while inspiring his fellow police officers to get fit. Those were "needs."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Drew Zeigler who got the first bike was racing on a friend's borrowed bike because he sold his bike to help make ends meet at home working as a firefighter (he did not get to train on a bike because of this). Fred Galbraith has four daughters (I cry) and was racing on an entry-level road bike while inspiring his fellow police officers to get fit. Those were "needs."

Just trying to clarify what fits in as "needs". In the end none of us "need" to race in the sense that racing is way up on the self actualization scale on Maslow's Hierarchy...at least way above the basic needs of food and shelter. Once we get into talking about sport, it's all "wants" anyway, since none of it is essential to human existence. But I suspected it was along these lines. I so support what you are trying to achieve with this. Keep it up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next