Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beam Bike
Quote | Reply
I want to buy a beam bike, either a Softride or TitanFlex. Can anyone recommend one of these?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Beam Bike [Race Condition] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could also get a used Zipp (saw one on ebay tonight). I've had one for nearly 8 years, and there still isn't a new bike on the market I'd trade it for. I keep thinking I should get something new, but there isn't a better time trial bike on the market in my opinion. They are slightly heavier than some bikes, and may not be optimal for hilly courses, but I'm guessing neither are the Soft or Titan (or any beam). The Zipp is just plain fast. Mine deserves a faster rider (but I do alright!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't already, do a search of this forum for 'Titanflex' (and spelling variations). There was a thread last week about Softrides and TF. And there was a whole lot of post lasts September about the TF -- all positive.

I just bought a TF which is currently on a FedEx truck coming my way. I seriously considered the Softride Rocket and Classic (along with several other high end bikes). I test rode many of these bikes, including a TF. A whole lot of things convinced me the TF was the best bike for me.

If you're considering a TF, Tom Piszkin will be incredibly patient and help you assess every option to make sure you get the exact bike you want (right down to the custom serial number). His service and pricing are very, very hard to beat.

Rob
Last edited by: rjackson: Feb 9, 04 20:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nothing but glowing things to say about my Softride Rocket TT. Rides like a bat outta hell.

Truthfully I don't think you could wrong with any of the beam bikes. I would go try one and see if you like it. My advice on what you should do is to try the beam bike and THEN try your regular road bike. You won't notice how smooth the beam bike is when your riding it. But once you get off it and ride a double diamond bike over the same roads you'll really notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently sold a Rocket TT7 and bought a Titanflex. I feel very strongly that the TF is the way to go, both because of how nice the bike is and also because of the problems I had with the Rocket. Do a search of this forum for TF and you'll find a detailed comparison I did a few days ago. More specific questions, just let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Beam Bike [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't trade my Softride for anything! It is so much more comfortable and easy to run off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Softride Rocket for a few months about 4 years ago. That sucker was fast when it was sitting still indoors! Just a fabulous machine to look at and ride.

After 2 beam failures, the dealer supported my desire to change to something less exotic, and worked with me accordingly. The beam problem was in the adhesive between the beam and the gusset sleeve. That may have been solved by now.

A friend has had one for about 3 years now. He also had a beam failure after about 18 months, and Softride replaced the original aluminum beam with a carbon version. So far as I know the bike is holding up fine and has three IM's on its resume.

Aside from the beam issue, the one thing I hated was the process of adjusting the beam/saddle height. From a materials standpoint that mechanism is brilliant, but it took a lot of trial and effort to get the height right. From what I have seen about the Titanflex on the web, its saddle adjustment would be simpler.

In spite of the problems, I STILL *grieve* over the passing of my Softride. Man, what a machine!
Quote Reply
Re: Beam Bike [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's a good point about being able to run after. I don't know of anything other than anecdotal evidence, but I tend to run very strong off the bike, and I think the beam has a lot to do with it
Quote Reply
Re: Beam Bike [prof v] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a softride qualifier for 9 years and had a TT rocket for about 3 weeks. I enjoyed both bikes, both bikes required more wrenching than a standard bike. Thats why i sold the rocket, too much wrenching to adjust and readjust. Both are heavier than a standard TT bike as well.

For the positives; The qualifer even though it weighed 23.5 pounds never seemed to hinder me in the hills. I'd climb & pass people on much cooler bikes and never see them again. The aerodynamics, especially with a disc will be hard to beat. No one ever passed me on downhills. pothole? more like a little crack in the road. They were both rather comfy. If I had to buy another beam bike I'd get the softride classic rocket with the stiffest beam offered. nevered owned a zipp but they look fast and aero. Another advantage is being able to play with the fit. I think there was 6in of fore/aft adjustment and 5 in of height adjustment. You can really dial in a comfy fast position.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure Cervelos are cool to look at and pretty aero to boot...but the heads the that turn when riding through urban areas when on a Softride need to be experienced to be believed. Actually had a guy pull over ahead of me and ask if he could take my picture with the bike. His son was into cycling and he didn't think he'd be able to accurately describe the bike to him..it was that cool in his opinion. Also..at the recent World Cycling Champs here in Hamilton (god bless Guiseppe Ferrera) I was camped out near the finish line for the amateur time trials. I had a couple of guys gawking at the bike from Switzerland who had never seen one up close before. They were totally floored when I offered to let them each take it for a spin. Afterwards they took a ton of pics and thanked me profusely for the opportunity. Doesn't matter where I go, if I'm on the bike and someone wants to give it a try I'll let them. I have loaned one of my two (had three at one point) Powerwings out for long periods of time on a couple of occassions and both people who rode it are now owners of Powerwings themselves. We can post all we want about how it rides or how it handles..but nothing compares to the rush of riding one down a steep switchback the way it is meant to be ridden (very different from a conventional bike...and wayyy faster if done right). Find someone who owns one..beg them to let you take it for a spin. You will never go back to conventional bikes again. UCI banned them from professional racing..declaring them an unfair advantage. They're damn right. Now that I have a set of 404s and a Renn disc I don't think there will be a faster bike in either race series I do this summer. Recommend Softride? They oughta pay me for the amount of times I've endorsed them at races. Best of luck..and enjoy the ride.

cheers

Kent
Quote Reply
Re: Beam Bike [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have been really happy with my softride powerwing, all of the problems have been with the engine!

I would love to have one of the original Zip bikes or a new Rocket, but that really would not help the previously mentioned engine problems!

Don't know enough about Titanflex to comment, Ride them all if you can after all you're the one who will have to ride it!

Key point for beam bike riding- unclip before checking out the people checking you out when at stoplights!!

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my Soft-Ride for 5 months. Yes, it's a pain in the reat to adjust (I have to carry a tape measure everywhere), but it's easy on the rear to ride. I hit a utility cover below the level of the new pavement at over 20 mph in a triathlon. My aerobars went down to 60 degrees downward, but my rear end didn't even notice. (That last mile to T2 was interesting.) And, it's fast.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a PowerWing for several years and the only real complaint I have is that the behind the seat water bottles would bounce out over rough roads. Other than that its a great bike.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply