Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco)
Quote | Reply
http://m.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2015/07/30/this-is-what-happened-when-bicyclists-obeyed-traffic-laws-along-the-wiggle-yesterday

Quote:
The protest hadn't even started before the first motorist laid on the horn.
Hundreds of cyclists rode through The Wiggle yesterday evening in protest of a San Francisco police captain's calls for a crackdown on bikers coasting through stop signs. But instead of breaking the law, protesters wanted to show the city just how bad traffic would be if every bicycle approached intersections just as a car does.

Riders arrived at every stop sign in a single file, coming to a complete stop and filing through the intersection only once they were given the right-of-way. The law-abiding act of civil disobedience snarled traffic almost immediately.
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The law-abiding act of civil disobedience"

How is that civil disobedience? Rather, it seems like civil obedience to me.
Last edited by: Trirunner: Jul 31, 15 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard from cyclists and motorists and there will never be consensus on what to do. Nobody obeys the law to the letter, its dumb to think people will. I like this demonstration because it will prove this point to a few people. The best think we can do is build new roads with all users in mind then monitor what happens. Learn from what works and be open to creative solutions. The biggest problem is ignorance and if nothing else this demonstration gets people talking about an important issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [gtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely put. +1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This stunt was in no way representative of the real life situations that would occur if people would just simply acknowledge road signage.

If the narrow minded techies would actually practice an "Idaho stop" and just yield as required by law, nobody would want to crack down on them.

Right now it is as bad as it can get, with pretty much no cyclist observing any "road decorations".

What a infantile bunch of immature and selfish hipsters.

Seriously

noofus wrote:
http://m.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2015/07/30/this-is-what-happened-when-bicyclists-obeyed-traffic-laws-along-the-wiggle-yesterday

Quote:
The protest hadn't even started before the first motorist laid on the horn.
Hundreds of cyclists rode through The Wiggle yesterday evening in protest of a San Francisco police captain's calls for a crackdown on bikers coasting through stop signs. But instead of breaking the law, protesters wanted to show the city just how bad traffic would be if every bicycle approached intersections just as a car does.

Riders arrived at every stop sign in a single file, coming to a complete stop and filing through the intersection only once they were given the right-of-way. The law-abiding act of civil disobedience snarled traffic almost immediately.
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

If the narrow minded techies would actually practice an "Idaho stop" and just yield as required by law, nobody would want to crack down on them.

Not true. I've seen cyclists ticketed (and have been "lectured" myself) for not physically touching my foot to the ground at stop signs that were "Idaho stopped" with no car in sight for right-of-way to even be remotely an issue. On mine I effectively came to a full stop - track-standed it for a half second because I saw the cop - but I didn't put my foot down, so he didn't consider it a stop.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 31, 15 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done dozens of track stands in front of cops all over the Peninsula (except SF proper) without being pulled over and ticketed.
In fact, I trackstand a stop sign adjacent to a Peninsula city police station every day.

Maybe you city people just pushed a little too far?
Like several hits and a kill of pedestrians up there in the city?

You reap what you sow.

trail wrote:
windschatten wrote:

Not true. I've seen cyclists ticketed (and have been "lectured" myself) for not physically touching my foot to the ground at stop signs that were "Idaho stopped" with no car in sight for right-of-way to even be remotely an issue. On mine I effectively came to a full stop - track-standed it for a half second because I saw the cop - but I didn't put my foot down, so he didn't consider it a stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Nope, sorry to blow your worldview. Checking the stats, in order of #, deaths are car-on-car, car-on-cyclist, car-on-pedestrian, and none for cyclist-on-pedestrian. Hmmm...where should law enforcement resources be focused there? Not to say that cyclists don't break traffic laws. Certainly they do like anywhere else. But I think you're reaching a little over-the-top in attempt a "contrarian" viewpoint.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 31, 15 22:35
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windschatten wrote:

Nope, sorry to blow your worldview. Checking the stats, in order of #, deaths are car-on-car, car-on-cyclist, car-on-pedestrian, and none for cyclist-on-pedestrian. Hmmm...where should law enforcement resources be focused there? Not to say that cyclists don't break traffic laws. Certainly they do like anywhere else. But I think you're reaching a little over-the-top in attempt a "contrarian" viewpoint.

Chris Bucchere pled guilty to felony vehicular manslaughter and was sentenced on 8/15/13.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windschatten wrote:

none for cyclist-on-pedestrian.

You seriously need to work on your google-fu. I suggest you start by using google search and type in the name "Chris Bucchere". That was sort of a tipping point when city cyclists lost all credit and empathy.
You do not seem to be local and have real world experience being a pedestrian in the city (yes, cars are the primary menace, but cyclists are way more unpredictable). Cyclists also die, but the public burden is now on the victim to prove that they followed the code.
Very "unfortunate", indeed.
Feel free to do a proper google search for bicycle versus pedestrian accident stats or court cases in the city.

Just to be contrarian and since the world just revolves around me, of course..
Last edited by: windschatten: Jul 31, 15 23:31
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So stats aren't your strong suit?
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
So stats aren't your strong suit?

Nope. Liberal arts.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you wish for (stop sign protest in San Francisco) [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
Chris Bucchere pled guilty to felony vehicular manslaughter and was sentenced on 8/15/13.

I think he was asking about my city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
scofflaw wrote:

I think he was asking about my city.

Stats are like bikinis. What they show is interesting but what they conceal is vital.

—Mr. Hand
Last edited by: scofflaw: Aug 1, 15 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No cyclist-pedestrian deaths in 2014. Police report of all traffic fatalites:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ny6m3m5hedv07ep/Fatal%20Traffic%20Collision%20Summary%20Report.pdf?dl=0
Last edited by: TomkR: Aug 1, 15 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're going to have to be more specific - what are the stats hiding?
Quote Reply