Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Base Training
Quote | Reply
Looking for some into on what people do for base training phase. I usually start in Jan until April. Most of it is running on the treadmill at about 140-145 HR. When I do my swim workouts I don't pay much attention to HR. Come March I am usually out riding at 120-125 HR. In late April/May I start speed and intensity work...than race from June to Sept.

1 When do you start base training and for how many weeks do you do it?

2 What HR do you work at?

3 Do you mix aerobic and anerobic training at the same time? (LVL says he does..??)

I'd like to hear and other comments and suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Base Training [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In working out my season I work back from my A races...usually an ironman. HR is an individual thing so you need to do the test etc and work on zones that apply to you specifically - typically all my running and cycling is done in high zone 2 / low zone 3 - no anaerobic stuff at all. Usually it lasts for 8 to 12 weeks - read either Going Long by Gordo or Triathletes Training Bible by Joe Friel for setting zones and how to plan a season (including base work)

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Base Training [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer to do some base stuff year round. I do mix aerobic/anaerobic stuff during my specific base period. But for long course i recommend putting in as many miles as possible. Unless your racing for a top placing most people just need tons o' miles and some threshold with very little if any above threshold work.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Base Training [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"there is no such thing as junk miles..." I would have to disagree with this. I see too many of my training buddies putting in more and more training and simply plateauing or getting worse. The key is truly quality hours not quantity. In the past couple of years, my hours of training have been shaved in half and I've never been faster. I've been doing this for about 15 years, so I have the years to compare.

Also, why would you be doing anaerobic work. It seems counter productive especially at this time of year.

my two cents

Paul
Quote Reply