Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BarryP and 70.3 training
Quote | Reply
I've been doing BarryP for about 3 years now. My half marathon is probably 1:30 to 1:32 and according to McMillan, my easy pace should be 7:32-8:33...

For the past 3 years I've been in phase1 and run 6 times a week all easy runs: short run is 4 mi, medium run is 7 mi, long run is 12 mi.. I've been very conservative with putting in quality runs and bricks because I've had an issue with overtraining in the past. But for 2016 season, I want to incorporate phase 2 and phase 3 of the plan .. I do two 70.3's a year and one full a year. A few questions:

1.) I'm thinking of doing 4/8/12 as my run mi's but is 40 mpw too much? I may lower it to 3.5/7/10.5 which brings my mileage down to 35 per week.

2.) For phase 2, it says swap a medium run for a threshold run and subtract about 1-2 miles. So my medium run should be 5-6 mi at about 6:43-6:59 pace?

3.) For phase 3, do I swap out the medium run for a brick run? How long should the brick run be and how fast?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP and 70.3 training [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1.) I'm thinking of doing 4/8/12 as my run mi's but is 40 mpw too much? I may lower it to 3.5/7/10.5 which brings my mileage down to 35 per week. I don't think you'd see much difference in the results between 35 and 40 mpw, if you're spending that extra time doing quality swimming or biking. You might not have that final 5-10% of your peak run fitness, but it's a tricky balance between getting the time on the run or someplace else.

2.) For phase 2, it says swap a medium run for a threshold run and subtract about 1-2 miles. So my medium run should be 5-6 mi at about 6:43-6:59 pace? You might end up having to drop from 6 to 5 runs per week, in which case I would want to up the pace on at least one run.

3.) For phase 3, do I swap out the medium run for a brick run? How long should the brick run be and how fast? Not an expert on running or Barry's plan, but have found that more miles are good (for me), even if they're easy. That usually means, when I'm training for multisport instead of run-only, I try to make up some of the mileage off the bike. Any few miles, 3-5 easy, tally up if you do them a couple times each week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 35 - 40.....whatever feels good.

2) The total length of the medium run should be 5-6 miles, but that includes warmup/cool down. The threshold portion of it should be between 20 and 60 minutes, in general. In your case, 60 minutes won't be possible because you'll go over your 5-6 mile limit. 20 minute threshold runs will be faster than 30-40 minute runs.

In the grand scheme of things, its not going to matter much whether you do 1.5 warm up, 2.5 threshold, 1.5 cool down, or 0.5 warm up, 4.5 threshold, and 0.5 cool down. There's no magic bullet here. You just need to run 20+ minutes at threshold. Personally I like to mix up the distances and paces, but some people prefer to do the same every week.

3) From the post that I wrote......oh, so long ago that I can't remember =)

"In Phase 3 many veteran athletes and elites have the foundation to run two solid workouts a week in addition to a regular long run of 18+ miles when preparing for these events. I feel that most athletes lack this foundation and are better served by running one race specific workout a week while reserving the second workout day for a second long run that is half way between your normal long run and your usual medium run (for example, if a normal long run is 12 miles, the second long run would be 10 to 11 miles). It would not be unreasonable for athletes with a little more experience to alternate their 2nd long run with a threshold workout. "

I'm not a fan of bricks, but if you need to do a few as a confidence builder, or to work the jitters out of your stomach, or to get used to the feeling of jelly legs, go for it. Again, it really won't matter much how you do it. Ride for 30 minutes hard, and then go for a 5-6 mile run. Its really that simple.

Good luck!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP and 70.3 training [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks for the input, both of you ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything BarryP said. When I do the occasional brick, I substitute it for a medium run even if it's only 1/2 the total distance. I'll also substitute a "C" sprint or olympic race for a medium or long run.

35-40 mpw is a good target for 70.3. 45-60 for IM.

One note, not sure if all of Barry's posts cover this. But when you add in intensity (phase 2) drop the mileage initially. This is important. IF you are injury prone, you might avoid any faster running altogether or do very short and minimal intervals only.

I've adapted his plan into my own long course training and for my athletes. The guy that KQ'd in M25-29 at Louisville this last weekend went from about a 7:15 to a 6:15 threshold pace runner in about 5 months on his plan all while raising his FTP almost 30% and improving his swim. He overall dropped 1h42m off his IM time in 1 year on a similar course. The biggest contributor was consistent, higher volume running with a high frequency.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the medium quality run I alternate 20 minutes threshold and cruise intervals as described by Jack Daniels. I feel this falls very much within the spirit of BarryP and iirc he references him as well. So one week I do 20 min threshold and the other week I do 4x5-6 minutes with 1 minute active rest. Pace is the same for both durations, based on VDOT paces. All of this is also in Daniels' book Running Formula.
Quote Reply