Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where?
Quote | Reply
I know the smart ass posts will come flooding in.....I deserve it so fire away. However, in all the nonsense I would love one, just one, constructive post on how I might proceed if at all. And yes I have been on the Shimano site and Googled to my hearts content looking for a parts list, diagram or schematic. No such luck in showing the gasket/washer on the site.

Having never worked with bar end shifters I thought I would give it a try as I passed the monotony on a 2 hour conference call.....needed a new rear shift cable(broke Monday night). I figured if I can string up an STI gruppo I can do this....uh wrong!

So when I unscrew the bolt holding it together stuff is popping out...joy joy. As you can see in my pic I have everything ready to go back in, but one particular little jagged washer balanced on my middle finger in the pic....I cannot for the life of me figure out where and how it fits into the maze.

If anyone could possibly lead me in a direction other than 'go to the LBS' that would be great. Already called both LBS: LBS 1 can have it back to me by Monday, the other said 5-6 days. Uh, I think I will try to work this one on my own if possible!

Thanks much guys and gals in advance as I am always grateful to the incredibly knowledgeable bunch here. And to the smart asses....thanks too;)!

Last edited by: ride2eat: Oct 21, 09 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? [ride2eat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know the smart ass posts will come flooding in.....I deserve it so fire away. However, in all the nonsense I would love one, just one, constructive post on how I might proceed if at all.

Having never worked with bar end shifters I thought I would give it a try as I passed the monotony on a 2 hour conference call.....needed a new rear shift cable(broke Monday night). I figured if I can string up an STI gruppo I can do this....uh wrong!

So when I unscrew the bolt holding it together stuff is popping out...joy joy. As you can see in my pic I have everything ready to go back in, but one particular little jagged washer balanced on my middle finger in the pic....I cannot for the life of me figure out where and how it fits into the maze.

If anyone could possibly lead me in a direction other than 'go to the LBS' that would be great. Already called both LBS: LBS 1 can have it back to me by Monday, the other said 5-6 days. Uh, I think I will try to work this one on my own if possible!

Thanks much guys and gals in advance as I am always grateful to the incredibly knowledgeable bunch here. And to the smart asses....thanks too;)!

Search the Shimano site. I'm sure someone here has the direct link, but they have schematics for their parts somewhere on there.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First thing I did. They don't even reference the part in my finger on the small parts list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
instead of trying to explain it over the internet, take a look at the exploded views (not the one in your hand, the one in the pdf), to see how it's supposed to go.

8/9 speed:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/...6577569830628723.pdf

10 speed (7800, 1st gen):

http://techdocs.shimano.com/...6577569830609202.pdf

10 speed (7900, 2nd gen):

http://techdocs.shimano.com/...6577569830651604.pdf

cheers,

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really do appreciate the links, but I went there an hour ago. Nowhere on that schematic do they reference in the list OR in the diagram show the aforementioned washer/gasket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same thing about 7 months ago. And there is no good reference in terms of a real exploded view of all the parts. I just used trial and error to figure out how to put everything back. But I'll try to remember how to do it... Take that washer thingy with the notches on your pointer finger and place that in between the two other pieces. You need to line up the notches correctly they are sized slightly differently so that you can orient it. In addition it has a protruding side and it should be self evident which way the protrustion goes. Then just place the other two pieces together with the washer sandwiched between and screw in. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I did the same thing about 7 months ago. And there is no good reference in terms of a real exploded view of all the parts. I just used trial and error to figure out how to put everything back. But I'll try to remember how to do it... Take that washer thingy with the notches on your pointer finger and place that in between the two other pieces. You need to line up the notches correctly they are sized slightly differently so that you can orient it. In addition it has a protruding side and it should be self evident which way the protrustion goes. Then just place the other two pieces together with the washer sandwiched between and screw in. Hope this helps.

Thanks! One question. When you say 'place it between the two other pieces'. Do you mean between the part in my thumb and the middle silver piece....or do you mean between the middle silver piece and the bar end housing already on the aero bar. Geesh was that as untechnical as it gets? I'm such a dumb arse. Hopefully you understood what I meant. And yes I definitely saw the little 'tooth' or protrusion....it's burning my brain up! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Campy has all the documents to rebuild....part numbers too....

Really there are not many options, with the index washer it is 50/50 and you will know in a minute if you have it in properly or not. Just play around and see what works. And you are right, Shimano's site is worthless for stuff like that.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly between the part all ready on the aerobar and the next silver piece. But I'm not a 100% positive. If you can't figure it out I'll take apart my shifter and figure it out when I get home tonite (west coast time), cuz it's driving me crazy that I can't remember. I think that I must have some early form of alzheimer's or something:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have one right here to look at, so I can't tell you offhand how to put it back together. However, for future reference, I can tell you that you shouldn't have to take the shifter apart in order to replace your cable. I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but it sounded like that was the reason why you disassembled it in the first place.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I did EXACTLY the same thing about a month ago, checked the Shimano site which is exactly as useless as you described as the schematic does not show all of the parts (seriously, WTF????), worked on it for about 2 hours, and gave up. Finally, got my last part I needed to complete my build in the mail today and was going to try again. Thank you for this post, if you get a definitive answer or figure out where that frigging thing goes, please send me the answer.

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? [pcombs22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be home in a bit and can take some photos...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was it. You guys kick ass. Saved me 5-6 w/o a bike courtesy of the LBS and $30-40.

I think at some point everyone goes a little blind after staring at all those intricate little pieces and sometimes the obvious escapes us. Had I asked one of the 5 year old neighborhood kids to come over I'm certain it would have taken all of 45 seconds to figure out;) Like a kids puzzle, with a dumb ass adult at the helm. I was MIA for a bit b/c after I got 'er together I tweaked my shifting and derailleurs. Wanna hear what else is funny. I thought these were index only. I saw the bolt to go to friction....I'm in heaven. I'm just old school and dig my friction shifters.

Thanks a bunch all!
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? [pcombs22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I feel your pain. I did EXACTLY the same thing about a month ago, checked the Shimano site which is exactly as useless as you described as the schematic does not show all of the parts (seriously, WTF????), worked on it for about 2 hours, and gave up. Finally, got my last part I needed to complete my build in the mail today and was going to try again. Thank you for this post, if you get a definitive answer or figure out where that frigging thing goes, please send me the answer.

Phil

Ok Phil just saw your post. Will do my best to describe how it fits. By the way, Shimano if you are reading this, your manual writer can suck my left nut!

Ok, the little black gasket in my middle finger pic, that will fit right into the wide silver piece just to the left of my middle finger. On the gasket there is a little tooth that sticks out. You will want that facing up or out towards my blue book on the ground. If you will take notice the little cogs are all different sizes so in that sense it's just like a puzzle. once that is snugly in place you can fit the wide silver part up against the actual shift body which you see sticking out the end of my aero bar. Note: the 'other' silver pice that fits between aforementioned puzzle and the housing.....that is NOT in my hand. It's already on the housing and on the bar....can you see it? Hopefully this makes sense and if not just PM me and maybe we can figure it out.

Good luck....let us know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for the record: I HATE that little piece in shimano shifters. If you get it just a little wrong you only get 6 speeds, or lots of other screwy combinations. I try my hardest to keep this little bugger in-place when I'm swapping out the rear shifter.
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? (Bumping ancient thread!) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread, but this past weekend I undertook the task of swapping the stock bars on my P2 for some Zipp Vuka Aero bars picked up from the classifieds. Similarly to this OP from 6 years ago, after disassembling the right bar end shifter to get at the expander nut I was left with a handful of pieces. Well, I somehow managed to lose that jagged washer piece (pictured on tip of OPs finger) between when I removed the shifters and when I was ready to install them in the new bars. I've turned my apartment upside down looking for it, but cannot find it anywhere. I put the shifter back together anyways (minus this piece), fastened the shifter cable, adjusted the barrel adjuster, and the whole thing seems to be shifting pretty smoothly without this piece. So, am I asking for trouble by running the shifter without the jagged washer/spacer piece in there? Is the system more likely to wear out quicker or fail me in the near future?
Quote Reply
Re: Bar end shifter explosion....what goes where? [wiffcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered that the washer may not have come from the shifter in the first place?
If the parts all exploded on to the floor, then there is a chance that it was just on the floor beforehand.

If it all broke apart into your hand then obviously my suggestion is moot.
Quote Reply