Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baltimore Inner Harbor Run Routes
Quote | Reply
I am headed there next week and want to get a longish run in one morning. Any suggestions? Staying Inner Harbor/West Pratt Street area. Also would appreciate any dining suggestions or must sees. Been to BWI numerous times but never downtown.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Baltimore Inner Harbor Run Routes [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only place I've run within city limits is Druid Hill Park. There is a winter 5 miler held there every year, as well as a few other races; it's a little small. If you are mobile and have the time (30 minute drive), the best place is the Northern Central Railroad (NCR) trail. 20 miles of crushed gravel, flat, with mile markers. A little closer is the BWI Trail that rings the airport and connects to the B&A Trail, about 25 miles total one way, asphalt, mostly flat.

If you are an expense account, the Charleston is the best restaurant in town. Little Italy has good Italian-American, Sabatino's is probably the best known. Woodbury Kitchen is one our favorites, too, a little north of downtown. The National Aquarium is a big draw downtown, within walking distance, as are the Maryland Science Center, IMAX, etc.. Lots of shopping and restaurants in the Inner Harbor. Orioles and Ravens stadiums are in easy walking distance if they are in town when you are here.

Book everything soon as the MLB playoffs are here Thurs-Fri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just run along the south side of the waterfront..you can run as long as you want, turn around, and run back without getting lost. Fells Point for dinner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
I am headed there next week and want to get a longish run in one morning. Any suggestions? Staying Inner Harbor/West Pratt Street area. Also would appreciate any dining suggestions or must sees. Been to BWI numerous times but never downtown.

thanks

That's near where The Wire was filmed! Run around there for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:

thanks

You could follow some of the Baltimore marathon course out to the lake and back. You'd have to run on sidewalks for some of it depending on the time you start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel free to shoot me an email at runbaltimore@gmail.com. Let me know what "longish" means in terms of time/distance, what kind of pace and what time of morning you're looking to run and I can probably hook you up with a group.

In general, don't go west or north. Not only do they go through some potentially less favorable neighborhoods for running, but it's broken up by traffic lights and stop signs.

From the Harbor, your best bet is always to stick to the bricks. Most people run out to Fort McHenry (which doesn't open until 8am), or out to Canton. From the intersection of Pratt and Light, the "long" way to the Fort is about 3 miles. It's also about 3 miles to the opposite end in Canton. You can get 12 or so pretty easy just by going out-back, out-back. Patterson Park is a good option on the east side. If you take Eastern Avenue east you'll get there in a little over 2 miles from the Inner Harbor. Inside the Park there's a figure 8 that's about 2 miles and features a decent climb up to the Pagoda, or you can stick to the perimeter roads around the Park and run a little longer.

Places to eat - as mentioned, Harbor East restaurants, including the Charleston, are quite nice. You can't go wrong almost anywhere in Little Italy. If you're looking for something a little more "Baltimore" I'd recommend Captain Larry's on Fort Avenue in the Fed Hill area, Abbey Burger Bistro on Cross St in Fed Hill, Mama's on the Half Shell in Canton, or Kooper's or Red Star in Fell's Point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The garmin connect running heat mac is pretty much made for this question.
Quote Reply
Re: Baltimore Inner Harbor Run Routes [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the waterfront path. Plenty wide and good sight seeing as you run.

For dinner I really like The Fork & Wrench on Boston Street. It's a small foodie place with great food.
Quote Reply
Re: Baltimore Inner Harbor Run Routes [rmcgrath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooh food! I also recommend The Helmand (Afghan food, within walking distance of the Inner Harbor). Not quite as good as some of the places in the (SF) Bay Area, but still pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks to all for the responses. I will likely head out on this suggestion and will email you as well. Looking forward to hopefully some cooler weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't run east either.

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply