Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bad day in La Crosse
Quote | Reply
I moved to Wisconsin this summer to start a medical residency. I live in resident housing next to the hospital. I've been training for IM Wisconsin, which didn't go nearly as well as last year (besides the point) and every time I have gotten up for a morning workout the outside light on my neighbor's apartment was on. When I got back it was out and then I saw him at the morning meeting.
Today the light was still on after the morning run, which was particularly difficulty due to the darkness that was compounded from the clouds. Around noon I got word that my nextdoor neighbor and fellow cyclist was killed climbing a local hill by a motorist. On a hill I've been on dozens of times at the hour he was hit and others.
The light's still on and last I've heard no one can locate his family to give them the news. The flowers are starting to accumulate at his door and the tears are flowing here.
My mortality seems closer than ever now. I think about the number on Semi's and other vechiles the blew by me yesterday when I road the 40 miles by myself alongside the two-lane highway by myself and shudder.
Sorry for the downer post, but what can you do? Misery loves company.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad day in La Crosse [Nate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, Nate. I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but just about every cyclist I know has had a friend killed while riding. It really makes you think.

But if we put ourselves in a cocoon and insulate ourselves from all our behaviors that involve risk, we wouldn't really be living.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad day in La Crosse [Nate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,

Sorry to hear this. My sympathy and I'm sure from everyone else that posts here. We can all relate to this very real possibility.

I've never yet lost a biking friend but I did lose a scuba diving buddy in an unfortunate freak accident. It makes you realize your mortality. Everytime I go on a bike ride or a scuba dive I think about the possibility that something bad could happen. Every time I return safely I do sort of sometimes whisper a little prayer of thanks for my safe return - and I'm not at all a religious person. But it is a part of life that sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Try not to dwell on it. Another friend gave up scuba diving after our friend's death. Perhaps the best thing to do is go on a long ride. That's probably what he would have wanted you to do and not quit doing what you enjoy.

Although I don't know you or your friend personally, you have my most sincere support. That's one of the wonders of the net - communications of feelings with other people.

Greg(cerveloguy)
Quote Reply