Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bad News. Michele Scarponi killed in training accident.
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bad News. Michele Scarponi killed in training accident. [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just heard. Terrible. RIP

http://www.n-tv.de/19804494
Last edited by: Meek: Apr 22, 17 4:30
Quote Reply
Re: Bad News. Michele Scarponi killed in training accident. [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cycling/italian-cyclist-michele-scarponi-killed-after-being-hit-by-van-during-training/ar-BBA8YEI?li=AA572I&ocid=spartanntp

Very sad.

Oh man, that really sucks for his family and teammates. It is a hazard of our sport, doing it on open roads with traffic, but it feels like it hits closer to home when its a pro cyclist vs a random person on a bike
Quote Reply
Re: Bad News. Michele Scarponi killed in training accident. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met Michele in December. Super nice guy. He had a certain "joie de vivre". All the other guys seemed burned out by there multi hour long rides but Michele was laughing, smiling, easy to chit chat with.

Seeing the camaraderie amongst the riders I suspect it will be really tough times for a few of them. But my heart fell when I saw the pic of him and his two young children.

RIP Michele.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad News. Michele Scarponi killed in training accident. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly whenever this happens it gives me reservations about riding on the road. I mean I know the odds of it happening to someone are pretty low but still. Obviously it was Michele's profession so he had to but for us recreationalists it gives pause.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad News. Michele Scarponi killed in training accident. [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrible news, watching Eurosport now, I know the sport goes on and these guys are professionals but it just brings it home the danger on our roads is always there.

Be safe all.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad News. Michele Scarponi killed in training accident. [Baggie bird_rj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This photo was taken last night, really hits home with 2 little boys of my own.
Last edited by: trener1: Apr 22, 17 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

terrible. young kids, career looking to wind down on a high having just won a stage of trentino too, set to lead giro.

i hope this was truly an accident and not assault. (texting/drunk/etc)
Quote Reply
Re: Bad News. Michele Scarponi killed in training accident. [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adktriguy46 wrote:
Honestly whenever this happens it gives me reservations about riding on the road. I mean I know the odds of it happening to someone are pretty low but still. Obviously it was Michele's profession so he had to but for us recreationalists it gives pause.

I don't recall the last time a pro cyclist or pro triathlete was killed in a traffic accident. Several age group athletes in both sports have died recently in crashes but I am going with the odds being low. I have a 50% change of dying from either heart disease or cancer anyway (as do most of you)....so ride on friends. RIP Scarponi.

Nice article by Andrew Hood over at Velonews:

http://www.velonews.com/...mile-scarponi_436120
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I don't recall the last time a pro cyclist or pro triathlete was killed in a traffic accident.
Quote:

Unfortunately there are too many:

Amy Gillet 2005
Amy Dombrowski 2013
Burry Stander 2013
Ellen Waters 2016
Mike Hall 2017

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I have a 50% change of dying from either heart disease or cancer anyway (as do most of you)..

The average age of death by cancer and heart disease is typically over 70 in first-world countries. And that's average population, not endurance athletes. Scarponi was 37.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some years ago here in Seattle a woman was hit by a commercial truck and killed right outside of my office. Watching the body laying there under a white blanket really made me rethink where and how I biked.

Anyone lost in traffic is nothing but sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I don't recall the last time a pro cyclist or pro triathlete was killed in a traffic accident. I

Last Spring the entire Alpecin-Giant world tour team almost bought the farm due to head-on impact with a tourist driving on wrong side of road. Took out the entire group and did not brake..
Quote Reply