Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

B races
Quote | Reply
I've heard people say they "train through these races", but what does that really mean?

Even though these are B races, I really don't want to show up sore and fatigued. I'm in the middle of an IM build phase at the moment and feel I have to take a day or two easy before the race which disrupts the planned workouts. I actually feel pretty guilty about it, but racing is fun.
Quote Reply
Re: B races [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually it means not a full taper but a few days light leading up to the race. But I have pretty much trained all the way up until the day before a race then took an easy day. In reality unless you are doing an Ironman to prepare for an Ironman 4 weeks away racing will only help your preparation for a race. That is unless you totally drop a long ride/run and race instead. But even then racing is a great option and, as you said, a lot of fun.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm training right through Choo 70.3 (build for IM LOU). Just very little taper and set realistic expectations.

It is what it is. I'll have fun (even in the rain).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, a B race is two things:
  1. Not a major taper leading to the race that would be a major disruption to my overall training plan.
  2. Not an all-in effort that would disrupt training after the race.

In other words, put in a strong effort, but not so hard that it degrades everything else around it.

After an A race, I do not expect to want to run or ride for a few days afterword.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A modified taper of race week or a few days depending on the distance and how far away from your A race you are.

In my Iron man training the race was at the end of my 2nd IM build (Olympic race) - Taper was rest day on Friday and Saturday. Monday was off - Tuesday was swim only , Wednesday reduced load - Thursday Full training again. Then into a recovery week.
Quote Reply