Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BTA hydration options for a Dimond
Quote | Reply
First, thanks to the folks at Dimond whose customer service has been absolutely top notch. TJ has a great team there in Iowa.

Additionally, thanks to folks here that helped me with choosing a bar and stem config for my new Dimond build. Decided to go with the Zipp Vuka Stealth medium. Getting a custom paint job of dark blue with orange accents.

Now I'm thinking about hydration options. The last 2.5 years I have been riding the 2nd gen Trek Speed Concept which had somewhat limited options when it came to BTA hydration due to the funky mono extensions. I used the Torhans 20/30 on my gen 1 SC and it worked great.

Does anyone know if the Torhans 20/30 sits flush against the head tube with the medium Zipp Vuka Stealth system?

I've tried the Speedfil A2 in the past with very mixed results. If that straw gets turned upside down inside the bottle then it becomes next to useless.

The Torhans AeroZ looks very nice. I think that would be my next option if the 20/30 doesn't work well with the Dimond + medium Zipp Vuka Stealth.

I have a Xlab Torpedo 400 system somewhere that I have never used. So that's a free option. I'm sure I will try it out.

The PD HC system looks nice as well but I've read the setup is finicky and it doesn't work well with certain bikes and bars.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration options for a Dimond [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Does anyone know if the Torhans 20/30 sits flush against the head tube with the medium Zipp Vuka Stealth system?
i don't think so. not close but could be closer with the new fork and the mag mount cover.

you could look at the zipp bta mount

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bought the fastest bike there is. Don't slow it down w poor decisions on accessories. (zip tie a bottle cage between aerobars and if needed, have a bottle behind the seat. Check out Chris Borden's Dimond. 1 bottle zip tied BTA, and spare kit shoved under the seat. If you search Chris Borden in the search function, his bike will come up. ST did an short piece on it at IM Chatt 2014.
Last edited by: cmsamp3: Jan 5, 16 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Aero30 doesn't sit flush with the Dimond headtube using a the short stem Vuka Stealth. If aligned vertically (Aero30 notch against nose of bar) to sit as far back as possible, it is probably 3cm from the headtube. The headtube height, basebar stack. brake cable and Omega brake also limit how close you can set the Aero30. With a new Dimond order I'm guessing you'll be going with the new superfork as someone mentioned above. I don't know if the guys at Ruster have production versions they can measure for you yet, but the front of the fork cover looks to be at least 2-3 cm in front of the headtube. It should end up very similar to the SC Gen 1 front end so the Aero30 might be a great match if you can set it where the bottom is above where the fork/brake cover tapers forward.

Jim at ERO did do a lot of testing with the FC35 and on the bike setup tested it worked out well when the mount was flipped to set the unit lower between the extensions. He's hard to track down, but he's had a lot of Dimonds come to thru Carson so he may be able to offer some ideas of hydration options tested recently.

Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration options for a Dimond [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike will have the new fork.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Zipp Vuka bars I do suggest to mount the Aeromount for the Aero 20/30 between the extensions, not on top of the extensions. Make a 'U' with the mount. You will find you can slide the 30 back further, which helps aero. You cannot do this with the AeroZ nor does it matter as it is a BTA.

And I agree, the guys at Dimond are awesome. Enjoy your new ride!

Hans

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're making your comeback in style. Post pics when you get it all setup.

I'll just say I've been using the XLAB Torpedo 400 on my SC (on top of the monobar extensions) and really like it. Definitely give that a try. Zero leaks, straw problems, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first choice would be to undertake the mod to the Torhans 30 as in this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5635494;search_string=p5%20torhans;#5635494

I think that would accomplish the ~5w gain that ERO found with the Torhans 30 and bayonet-style headtube, and maintain maximum usability.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration options for a Dimond [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted Striker wrote:
For the Zipp Vuka bars I do suggest to mount the Aeromount for the Aero 20/30 between the extensions, not on top of the extensions. Make a 'U' with the mount. You will find you can slide the 30 back further, which helps aero. You cannot do this with the AeroZ nor does it matter as it is a BTA.

And I agree, the guys at Dimond are awesome. Enjoy your new ride!

Hans

Hans, thanks for the suggestion. I loved using the 20/30 on my old Trek SC but it was a no go with the new SC and those monoextensions.

Looking forward to trying them again.

Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration options for a Dimond [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
You're making your comeback in style. Post pics when you get it all setup.

I'll just say I've been using the XLAB Torpedo 400 on my SC (on top of the monobar extensions) and really like it. Definitely give that a try. Zero leaks, straw problems, etc.

Will definitely take some pics. Comeback looks like it might be postponed a bit. I have to have another surgery week after next which is going to set me back another month. Looks like Raleigh will be my first race back and not Galveston.

Quote Reply