Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC flat bar vs V cockpit
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the sizing geometry for the new TM01's and I noticed the picture on it is that of the V cockpit. I was wondering if he the flat bar has the same geometry. I rode a M-S in the older version ('13), but I wanted to see if I could still fit on a M-L. The geometry BMC posted is not that helpful with the measurements I was given during my fit. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC flat bar vs V cockpit [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new BMCs come with the V cockpit standard and the flat cockpit as an additional option. I have a 2012 TM01 M/S and had a bike fit just this month. My fitter said I would need the M/S with flat cockpit to retain the same back angle I have on my old TM01 since the new V cockpit is more relaxed. My fitter had to contact BMC to get additional fit measurements that were not available on the BMC website. The website does note the following:

"The V-Cockpit (spec on all complete bikes and frameset optional) offers optimal aerodynamic performance for taller pad stack dimensions, while the forward-offset promotes vertical compliance – a state-of-the-art blend of high-performance and comfort. "

By contrast: "The Flat-Cockpit (optional on frameset, not included with complete bike) offers the maximum aerodynamic advantage, letting riders attain the lowest possible pad stack configurations."
Quote Reply
Re: BMC flat bar vs V cockpit [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Did your fitter happen to say if you could manage on a M-L with a flat bar and still achieve the same position? I’d like to think I have a fairly aggressive position so I think the flat bar would be best. There’s a M-L available for me, but I can’t understand BMC’s sizing guide to coincide with my measurements from my fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He specifically said I need to remain on the M/S size (I'm 5' 8"). I ride with a 21 degree back angle on my current TM01 which he says is very aggressive and that I need the flat cockpit to achieve the same position on the new version. I'm also looking at the QR PR6 and my size for that bike would be a 50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I was looking at the sizing geometry for the new TM01's and I noticed the picture on it is that of the V cockpit. I was wondering if he the flat bar has the same geometry. I rode a M-S in the older version ('13), but I wanted to see if I could still fit on a M-L. The geometry BMC posted is not that helpful with the measurements I was given during my fit. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you know your pad x(back of the pad)/y and your saddle height, BMC has a tool on their B2B that is pretty handy. Feel free to post it, and I can let you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to get on the TT cockpit if you can...
From Tour mag testing:

Tri cockpit may suffer more if you try for any other hydration than a BTA.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC flat bar vs V cockpit [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I had not seen this. I take it the TT cockpit is the "flat" one? Was there any testing of either variation against other bikes?
Quote Reply