Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help!
Quote | Reply
Been a lurker for a while, so a warm hello for this, my inaugural post on ST.

I'm currently building up a BMC TM02 with an Ultegra Di2 groupset and have stumbled across a curious issue which I was hoping someone here might be able to help answer. I can't seem to get the Ultegra Di2 battery mount to slip through the hole for the "battery cavity" in the frame.

LBS owner has suggested two options, neither of which is ideal: i) mount the battery externally; ii) 'snap' off part of the locking latch on the battery mount, which slims the battery mount down to a point where it fits through the hole.

Anyone come across this before and if so, how did you resolve it?

When I say "battery cavity", I'm referring to this:

Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help! [branng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange because you can buy a BMC TM01 with Ultegra Di2 group. And I am pretty sure that the battery side behind the flap.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you installed the battery as illustrated here ?

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help! [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I've tried every angle and direction imaginable (including that specified by the manual) - still very much like fitting a square peg through a round hole. Worth also noting that the battery mount illustrated in the above images is probably a Dura Ace battery mount (as wire runs directly into the battery mount, rather than plugging into a female E-tube port), which I can only assume is marginally slimmer than the Ultegra Di2 E-tube battery mount.

Tillquist wrote:
Strange because you can buy a BMC TM01 with Ultegra Di2 group. And I am pretty sure that the battery side behind the flap.

Exactly why I thought I'd have no problems with the build. My guess is that BMC's using Shimano's 2013 SM-BTR2 seatpost battery though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All sorted now! LBS just informed me that they managed to get in by jamming it through - the Jeremy Clarkson method... "POWER!!!"

Just to end this thread on a bit of a high, some bike pr0n:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations and happy new year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Di2 on my TM01 and it does take a bit of force to get the battery in, and you have to do it at a certain angle. Beautiful bike though; the color scheme is great in your picture. Enjoy your new ride!

Quote | Reply
What does your final build look like? I've just bought a TM02 with 105 that I plan on stripping out and replacing with Ui2. Just waiting on those dual controls to come out. Any other roadblocks?

Rav Dighe
Coach & Director
w: http://www.alohatri.com
e: rav@alohatri.com
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help! [Ironrav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Since someone's interested, I'll take some shots on Sunday when I pick it up from the LBS. They're finishing up with the build tomorrow (some E-tube wiring bits which we were waiting on just came in today). Specs are as follows:

Frame: BMC TM02 Medium-Long Silver (2012)
Fork: BMC aero road fork, pure carbon, with subA
Base bar: Profile Design Ozero
Aero bars: Profile Design T2 Plus
Groupset: Shimano Ultegra Di2 (172.5mm 53/39 crank) // Wheels Manufacturing BB30 adapter & bearings
Saddle: Fizik Arione K3
Brake levers: Shimano TT78
Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium Equipe

Not quite the beast Tillquist has, but this is my first TT bike...

Roadblocks? Aside from the above "roadblock" (more a learning point), none really. I did buy Shimano's E-Tube Internal cable set, which came with the long bottle cage battery mount (SM-BMR1-Internal) and this doesn't fit into the battery mount mounting point in the frame, so we cut the mounting plate down to size. I believe the SM-BMR1-Internal / SM-BMR1-External / SM-BMRS1-External battery mounts are all identical, with the exception of the length of the mounting plate.

Just note (in case you haven't already, although I'm sure you have :) ) that if you're planning to run both the aero bar & brake lever shifters, you will need the SM-EW90-F 5-port junction box. Make sure you have the wiring schematic very well planned out because I found this bit goodness awful. The fact that Shimano gives their parts cryptic names like the SM-EW90-A / SM-EW90-F / SM-EW67A-E hooks up to the SM-JC41 via an EW-SD50 doesn't help either. If you need something to help you decipher the Di2 nomenclature enigma, this would be a good place to start: http://dev2.infocaster.net/tech-info/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot pal. Early days for me, but I appreciate the advice!

Rav Dighe
Coach & Director
w: http://www.alohatri.com
e: rav@alohatri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which aerobar shifters and junctions are you using? I have a TM01 build (photo) and waiting for SW-9071, ST-9071 and SM-EW90-F to finish it with brakes and gears.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help! [VP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got back from the LBS at dusk so I couldn't take any good shots in the absence of decent lighting. Will sort something out for next week.

First impressions are how smoothly the bike rolls on pavement.

VP wrote:
Which aerobar shifters and junctions are you using? I have a TM01 build (photo) and waiting for SW-9071, ST-9071 and SM-EW90-F to finish it with brakes and gears.

I'm using SW-R671 shifters with the SM-EW67A-E junction. I did consider the SW-9071, ST-9071, SM-EW90-F route, but the price differential I was quoted was about CNY5,000 (about $800) - maybe something for the future if I'm unhappy with the current setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the SW-R671 plug straight into the SM-EW67A-E? I'm getting a bit nervous that all the necessary D-A pieces won't be available before TT season starts in April and that might be a backup plan if something goes awry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, since both the SW-R671 and the SM-EW67A-E have male lead wires coming out, you link them up with a SM-JC41 (or a SM-JC40). So the cockpit wiring goes SW-R671 --> SM-JC41 (or SM-JC40) --> SM-EW67A-E. Leaves you with loads of wires to deal with in the end, 90% of which we've shoved inside the frame - I don't know how the TM01 would fare here as the front end's completely different.

All the functionality of the SM-EW67A-E (battery meter; rear derailleur adjustment) is maintained.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help! [Ironrav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Final build pics:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice build :-)

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice, I like the white theme.
My bike says hello :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installed the Ultegra Di2 battery mount on my TM01 yesterday and it went in smoothly, no need for power at all. Might be a TM02 specific problem or some tight tolerances on your particular frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size of battery mount did you get? They come in three sizes....intermediate, long, short. Thanks in advance!! Yoeri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size of external battery mount (SM-BMR1) should I get for my Tm01? Intermediate, short or long? I am guessing short based on your experience?
Also what length of wires did you get for the internal routing?
Thanks in advance!!

Yoeri
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help! [yoerig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short external mount. My wires were 1 x 1000 mm (cockpit to BB), 1 x 600 mm (RD to BB) and 2 x 300 mm (FD and battery to BB).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!! Very helpful...cheers, Yoeri
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help! [yoerig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the length of wires, what size frame was this for?

Planning a Di2 6879 groupset for my TM01 size m/s

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 + Ultegra Di2 battery mount - help! [esox.flucius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easiest way to figure out the length of the wires is to take a tape measure and gauge the length you will require… I did it that way and it worked great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for TM01 the Rear Junction Box needed is the -SM-JC41 right?
Quote Reply

Prev Next