Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TM01 vs S5
Quote | Reply
Dear ST aerogods,
A little help if possible.

I have 2 race bike options, a BMC TM01 and an S5, my road bike.
I have a handful of races where there is enough up and down that I would like to be on the S5, but also a few flatter races that I would like to use the BMC for.
I am considering selling the BMC early (it was due to be sold in July anyway) to help put some money towards my wedding.

*IF* both bikes had the same wheels (808 firecrests) and the same position in every way (I have done this no problem) with the S5 having 38cm drop bars and clip ons, compared to an ultra aero ADR setup on the BMC. In theory, whats the cost in terms of watts and time?

I plan on doing some testing to see if I can pinpoint figures, clearly there are tonnes of variables but it would be nice to know a ballpark, if anyone has any ideas based on aero data etc.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 vs S5 [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New or old s5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drop bars cost about 30 seconds to 1 minute per 40k in my education guess (from some field tests and wind tunnel tests)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 vs S5 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah ok, so a fair chunk on the bars.
What if it was setup with aero bars? would I be looking at similar performance to a p4?

its an old s5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Ah ok, so a fair chunk on the bars.
What if it was setup with aero bars? would I be looking at similar performance to a p4?

its an old s5.

yep. assuming you can get in your ideal TT position of course.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is very little good aero data on the penalty of drop bars when the rider uses advanced clip ons and is in the aero position. However, some wind tunnel data suggests that the penalty (per 40 km) of aero drop bars might be a lot less than 30 sec.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 18, 15 5:36
Quote Reply