Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Awesome IMAZ volunteer experience!
Quote | Reply
Flew out last weekend to volunteer and register for 2015 and had a great weekend. My friends and I, were at running aid station #3 from 12-3 so we got to see a lot of the pros come by (who looked fast and were killing it). The volunteers were awesome, the crowds were infectious and the Ironman spirit was alive and well. We spent most of the weekend at the bar drinking IPA's, and it was as if downtown Tempe just closed for the weekend and Ironman had its own party. Congrats to all the finishers, and see you all next year!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Last edited by: shivermetimbers: Nov 23, 14 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome IMAZ volunteer experience! [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome work out there!

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys were awesome out there, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kick ass job out there! Thanks for volunteering!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome IMAZ volunteer experience! [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how many volunteers would say if it was awesome not expecting anything in return (ironman entry opportunity) ?
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome IMAZ volunteer experience! [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've volunteered twice at an Ironman with no expectation of anything in return.

It was awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
how many volunteers would say if it was awesome not expecting anything in return (ironman entry opportunity) ?

It's interesting, because we were talking about that at the race. Knowing what I know now, I would still love to volunteer just to be part of something great. I think everyone should at least once, volunteer at a race. It really gives you a different experience when you race....makes you really appreciate all the people taking time out of their lives to help out the racers. Without volunteers....people couldn't accomplish their life long dreams and goals.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

kind of a dick statement. with over 4k volunteers i would venture to guess that about half do it with "no expectation" of something in return.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteered without an expectation of signing up for 2015. It's nice to give back and it's great to see the perseverance of the athletes. The only downer was that I worked Run SAG and had to pick up people whose day had ended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volunteered at IMLOU the last 3 years, IMAZ the last 2 years, IMCHOO this year. My last 3 races are/will be IMTX, IMTX and IMMOO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I have volunteered at least 7 years herding kids on the bike course at a local kids triathlon. It is a Saturday race and I often race the adult course on Sunday.

I don't have kids nor do I live in the town the race is held, but I volunteer to "give back", but also because I have a good time seeing the pure joy of their racing.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will. I volunteered this year at IMFL to sign up for next year. But I plan to go to IMKY next year to volunteer and I doubt I'll ever do that race.

Being in T2 was a lot of fun. And it is a place I know I can impact someone's race and have some actual interaction with them.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I volunteered in '13 to race in '14, and volunteered again in '14 w/o any expectation of anything in return. (OK, I got a t-shirt.) Got to grab a wristband for Mr. Kessler at VIP reg. It was awesome. YMMV. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome IMAZ volunteer experience! [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
synthetic wrote:
I volunteered in '13 to race in '14, and volunteered again in '14 w/o any expectation of anything in return. (OK, I got a t-shirt.) Got to grab a wristband for Mr. Kessler at VIP reg. It was awesome. YMMV. ;)

then you sir, earn the up most respect and some race karma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
then you sir, earn the up most respect and some race karma.
Karma quota probably depleted when I got a Beeline tube change from a mechanic w/o waiting for 15 mins… Forgot to pre-glue the spare, but the tech had tape with him. Karma! :) And the volunteering wasn't necessarily selfless: I wanted something to fill up the hours btw. early arrival and race day, and early volunteering (Fri / Sat) fit the bill. And I got lucky with the volunteer sign-ups, so was able to pick slots outside of other events (practice swim etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks your aid station was awesome. I didn't even have to stop to refill my run bottle - one of you ran alongside me refilling it as I ran. I would like to import all of you to volunteer at other races!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply