Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Author Andrew Tilin killed when hit by truck while changing bike tire
Quote | Reply
RIP Andrew. He was an editor at Triathlon Today magazine, the predecessor to Inside Triathlon, before becoming an editor at Outside. He was probably best known for the book The Doper Next Door.

http://www.statesman.com/...pUTWBHjIszvfDMKKxRL/

https://www.outsideonline.com/...in-dies-in-collision
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Feb 18, 18 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: Author Andrew Tilin killed when hit by truck while changing bike tire [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awful
Quote Reply
Re: Author Andrew Tilin killed when hit by truck while changing bike tire [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read his book last week. Wasn't familiar with him otherwise, but the book was fascinating. His kids would still be fairly young, so that's horrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty popular route around here too.

Ugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really awful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't Karen McKeachie from Triathlon Today killed in a bike accident via car also? That sounds like some really dark luck associated with Triathlon Today. I didn't know Andrew, but knew Karen, what a hard hit to bikers, triathletes & their families--tragic & sorry to hear this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's obviously cold comfort, but I was expecting to read another story of a grossly negligent driver doing something like texting, and instead this appears to be a combination of events, with bad weather conditions leading to loss of control of a vehicle which in turn struck another vehicle which then veered off the road and hit the cyclist, in other words maybe less in the category of the grossly negligent, highly preventable incidents we hear so much about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was a great guy and I liked him very much. He just recently called me to check in on me.
Quote Reply
Re: Author Andrew Tilin killed when hit by truck while changing bike tire [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
It's obviously cold comfort, but I was expecting to read another story of a grossly negligent driver doing something like texting, and instead this appears to be a combination of events, with bad weather conditions leading to loss of control of a vehicle which in turn struck another vehicle which then veered off the road and hit the cyclist, in other words maybe less in the category of the grossly negligent, highly preventable incidents we hear so much about.

My initial thought as well. Still a devastating loss but based on the article it seems to be an accident. Somehow easier to digest.
Quote Reply
Re: Author Andrew Tilin killed when hit by truck while changing bike tire [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While maybe not grossly negligent, it's still a crash - not an accident. From those initial reports the first vehicle was driving too fast for the conditions.
Sad to hear.
Quote Reply
Re: Author Andrew Tilin killed when hit by truck while changing bike tire [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
While maybe not grossly negligent, it's still a crash - not an accident. From those initial reports the first vehicle was driving too fast for the conditions.
Sad to hear.

Agree. Sometimes when cycling and I'm waiting at a red light at an intersection I think of what could happen to me if two vehicles collided in the intersection or a vehicle behind me at the intersection was hit from behind. I feel so vulnerable.

All road users are highly vulnerable sitting on the shoulder with a mechanical issue. I'll definitely try to learn from Andrew's tragedy and get as far off the road as possible when dealing with a mechanical.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Feb 18, 18 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another person killed by a human-driven vehicle.

Can't wait for all cars to be piloted by robots that can adjust to poor road conditions, rather than the average ignorant meatbag.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this thread come up yesterday. Honestly I was delaying opening it. I used to wait eagerly for my Triathlon Today to arrive in the mail. Honestly I don't know why I was delaying opening it as your thread title said it all, but I did not want to face the reality of this happening! RIP Andrew and thanks for your writings making me and others very happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Author Andrew Tilin killed when hit by truck while changing bike tire [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
He was a great guy and I liked him very much. He just recently called me to check in on me.

Yes great, great guy

Sickest part is if it wasn’t in the middle of a prime, we all would’ve stopped with him as he changed tire. Then, instead of 1 it could’ve been 15
Last edited by: mvenneta: Feb 19, 18 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been off the forums for a long time, and just heard of Andrews passing. I was a reporter/writer for Triathlon Today while at Texas A&M. I wrote about the early days of the Wind Tunnel for the magazine...such an amazing time when Dan/Steve/et al were just "figuring it all out"...and Andrew was my editor for a good part of that time, and he taught me so much about not just writing, but life. Another great guy will be greatly missed. Damn.
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply