Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Austin 70.3
Quote | Reply
Anyone doing the Austin 70.3 next Sunday? Looks like temp will be high of 75 and low 54, my question is wetsuit or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [vhz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non. Lake is warm due to power plant.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fish in that lake a lot. Last weekend the water temp was +85 on the park side. It gets up to 95 on the output side of the lake, but I doubt the swim course goes that far over.

I guess I know why I was seeing all the tri-freaks dressed in their day-glow skin suits over last couple weekends running/biking out there...training on the course and prepping.

Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the information. No wetsuit it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go sleeveless if you have one. That's what I did last year and it was comfortable. It was pretty gray/cool in the AM though. Also, don't take Loyola to get to the Expo Center. The light to turn left onto Decker was ridiculous and left a lot of people (including me) scrambling to get set up at T2 and get on the shuttle in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race last year, and they managed to find a temperature that was wetsuit legal. I didn't find it too bad - but I also know that I'd be way worse off w/o my suit!

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the race has always been wetsuit legal.

I did the race in 2011, record heat, record drought, etc. and it was still a couple degrees below the wetsuit limit.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temp was 72 last year. It was sprinkling in the morning so it was a little chilly to start (relative for Texas). I wore a wetsuit and felt fine. There was only a handful of guys in my wave that went without wetsuits. Make sure you carry your bike out of transition. Those stickers/prickers are everywhere around the lake. Having a flat tire would be a bad way to start the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I did the race in 2010/12 and they were both wetsuit legal and I don't recall being uncomfortable during the swim. Remember that the air temp will likely be in the 50's or cooler which will help it feel better along with making the surface temp of the water lower in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They announced it at 72 last year, I thought it was a bit warmer than that. I did it in a sleeveless wetsuit and was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have raced there 3 times and am excited to be going back! It was a wetsuit swim all three years. If I remember there was talk every year I was there about whether or not it would be non-wetsuit, but it never was. This includes at least one year where the pro cutoff was less. The weather has been all over the map. I cooked one year when it was around 30 C. The next time I raced 2012 it was 6 C when we got on our bikes race morning! This was before sleeved jerseys were en vogue. I purchased a $18 Long sleeve Baseball shirt that I wore for the swim and ride. Easily the best $18 I ever spent!

The last couple of times I had a great time staying with Jack Mott. Looking forward to the trip. Let me know if you have anymore questions on the course, I would be happy to answer them.

Jeff

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the weather in Texas in late-October can be all over the place.

It was 90 in 2011 and 50-something in 2012.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [ChevyTri27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone posted to avoid Loyola in getting to Expo center. What is the best way to get there?
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not the best one to ask about that. I tried to take a back way and hit some road closures and ended up having to loop around to Loyola Traffic. I would recommend just leaving 15 minutes earlier than you think and just chill in the traffic line. The traffic was kinda bad, it's just the pre race and stress to make the early shuttles that make it feel really bad! At most it delayed me by 15 mins, more likely 10.

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surface water temp on the swim course was 77 this morning.

Last edited by: Endo: Oct 19, 14 12:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vhz wrote:
Anyone doing the Austin 70.3 next Sunday? Looks like temp will be high of 75 and low 54, my question is wetsuit or not?

This is why everyone needs to buy a sleeveless wetsuit. It will be absolutely too warm for me to swim in full sleeve and I will nuke myself in the process. I will be wearing a sleeveless without question - the temp difference it makes for me is huge.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking to do another 70.3. How is the Bike course for Austin?
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [weilerD6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it has changed from last year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
vhz wrote:

This is why everyone needs to buy a sleeveless wetsuit. It will be absolutely too warm for me to swim in full sleeve and I will nuke myself in the process. I will be wearing a sleeveless without question - the temp difference it makes for me is huge.

For the exact reason you mentioned, I threw my sleeveless into the bike case for both IM Texas and Silverman which magically ended up being sub 76F! I would have overheated at both races in a full suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
non
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to be hot as all get out for those starting at 9am.... Start the run Kona style 85/87 degrees
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah... I am in the very very last wave. 2 days ago the forcast was for a high of only 79 on race day but now it's 86. I'm hoping for a surprise cold snap!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now it is saying 88 I am in that last wave with you! Going to be hot!
Quote Reply
Re: Austin 70.3 [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I am in the last wave as well and although I really don't care it is odd why the RD would put one of the fastest groups at the end. It will make for an interesting bike especially on one of the last sections coming back to Decker where it gets tight.
Quote Reply

Prev Next