Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Augusta 70.3 [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam the river yesterday. It took me 15 min to swim halfway up and I was putting a little effort into it. I turned around and came back in 3 min. I'm betting I could swim the 1.2 in under 15 min if not faster. Last year the backed the water up by closing it off down river. In my opinion if they can do that then I don't see why they couldn't slow it down for the race. I wouldn't recommend a weak swimmer entering the water right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [cmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully the rain will hold off for a few weeks and the flow will normalize. But I'll take a sub-20 minute swim any day ;)

I'm just wondering if backing up the river, with all the rain we've gotten, is a good idea, especially if the rain continues at a similar rate... don't wanna flood anything just so a bunch of alphas personalities can swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they would just reduce flow out of the lake. It can come up another foot or two without bothering much. Over the weekend they let the lake out and it came up several feet, hence the higher flow. I'm betting its fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [cmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm, if they cancelled the swim, how would they do it? Run bike run? or just bike run?
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [RWankles8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW!! Your Garmin shows twice the elevation gain that WTC advertises. How accurate do find your Garmin to be?
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riltri wrote:
WOW!! Your Garmin shows twice the elevation gain that WTC advertises. How accurate do find your Garmin to be?

Its usually spot on. But who knows! There's definitely some climbing involved. But lots of downhills too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
riltri wrote:

My 910 had 2,215 feet of elevation gain for that course.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call it spot on. Clearly from your Garmin file the minimum elevation is -32ft it slightly off......

The course is a fast bike course. You can stay in the aerobars for 95%+ of the ride as long as you are cool descending 3 deep while passing people at 40+mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
I wouldn't call it spot on. Clearly from your Garmin file the minimum elevation is -32ft it slightly off......

The course is a fast bike course. You can stay in the aerobars for 95%+ of the ride as long as you are cool descending 3 deep while passing people at 40+mph.

And I would exactly agree with your description of "descending 3 deep at 40+ mph". There might be one place you can go over 40, and that's just for a few minutes.

Just tryin to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanted to pass this along to anyone racing Augusta. TriAugusta club and the Saint Paul's church by the Augusta 70.3 swim start have teamed up to offer a Saturday night Pre-Race Pasta Dinner. A great chance to be with new and old friends! Bring your family! The location is perfect, on the Riverwalk adjacent to swim start and just a few steps from the Marriott and convention center.

More information at the link.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/...83&llr=ab5u84dab
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Dutins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp now at augusta?
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [SlammedStance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the river keepers.. 8/12/13 70.4F

http://www.savannahriverkeeper.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Dutins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dutins wrote:
According to the river keepers.. 8/12/13 70.4F

http://www.savannahriverkeeper.org/

Weird in the email I got this AM it says 'Average Race Day Water Temperature' is 79* !!!

Has this race ever NOT been wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Always been wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an issue with water level/flow a few weeks ago. Does anyone know the current status?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?02197000 - This is the current water level. Just to put in perspective, its running at about 10K cbs, which "above average." The problems last month were when it was running OVER 20k. When the river was running over 20k, averge swimmers were swimming the 1.2 mile course in 19 mins, but had trouble getting out! Should be a ok for race day.

RW
Quote Reply

Prev Next