5 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
200 fast 2:25
4 x 100 on 1:30
200 fast 2:24
16.5 x 100 on 1:30, hold 1:19 or better
125 c/d mix backstroke and kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished up Monday, after killer pool session with a 10 mile bike ride with 867 feet of climbing

Yesterday
Morning - 2307 yards at Shaw's Cove - weird short period waves that none of us could find a rhythm in. Never seen 2 foot chop like that.
Lunch - 4 mile run with 406 feet of climbing

Today
Morning - just 2013 yards at Shaw's while playing with my new GoPro. It's getting pretty dark at 6 AM, so it's not picking up a lot.
Lunch - 11.3 mile ride with 1516 feet of climbing. That felt really good.
I might go back to Shaw's this afternoon to meet some fellow Pod members for Dusk Patrol. The wind is gonna kick up to 10 mph, though. Could be sloppy.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A swim challenge in August? Isn't that like learning to drink on December 30? Unless you are in the southern hemisphere but I ain't seeing no 🐨 here in Okanagan Falls.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuesday
75 minutes on the trainer w/ 5x6' intervals

4 mile recovery run on the treadmill

Today
8 mile easy run, pretty even splits

2300 yd swim w/ 400/200 CSS test
300 easy
200 pull
4x50 fins kick down build back
4x100 (fast/easy -> 25/75, 50/50, 75/25, 100/0)
4x50 recovery
400 TT - 4:55
4x50 recovery
200 TT - 2:17
2x100 easy c/d
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A swim challenge in August? Isn't that like learning to drink on December 30? Unless you are in the southern hemisphere but I ain't seeing no 🐨 here in Okanagan Falls.

never too late to start swimming more

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 mi run 1:16:51, started with a 24:48 split for 3 mi and things went downhill from there. Donated blood yesterday and am a bit tired.
2225 yd swim

600 8:25
50 kick
6 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
6 x 100 odds fast 1:13s evens easy swim
50 kick
100 fast 1:12
50 kick
100 fast 1:13
15 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friday - 4 mi bike
Saturday - 11.5 mi run, 2 mi bike
Sunday - 2500 yd OW swim, 8(?) mi run

Well, I got my first DQ :-( I am mad at myself and ashamed. The race was an aquathlon, advertised as a 2000 yd swim and 10 mi run. Others' garmins had 2500 yds on the swim, and I don't have a time (didn't start watch until run) but it felt more like 2500 yds.

Two loop swim course: I took off fast to get away from would-be foot finders; enjoyed lapping people just after the first buoy of lap 2, and tied with one male; one male ahead. It is a point of pride for me to be first F out of the water, if not first overall, so I was happy with that.

Put shoes on, started running. Was pretty sure RD had said "go right at the top of the hill" but the volunteer sent me left. The result was that I missed a part of the run course, not sure how far but probably 2ish-miles. It is totally the athlete's job to know the course, so when another athlete mentioned to the RD that she hadn't seen me on that part of the course and the RD checked with me, I described my mistake and asked to be DQ'ed. Embarrassing :-(

This was my first "tri" race in Oklahoma, and I hope people believe me that it was an honest mistake - it was - when I got to the end, my watch time seemed right (turns out I must have been running way slower than I realized - as I run on the treadmill so much, I don't have a good feel for pace, and there were no mile markers).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be angry, but not at yourself, and don't be ashamed. I know there are two rules that can conflict. To me, the 'follow the directions of course workers' takes precedence. They may know things that have happened since the race started that forces you to deviate. It's not your fault and the 'Know the course' is a BS excuse for a race director to not take responsibility for the misdirection given out by course workers. I'm so sorry it happened to you.

I've been doing my regular ocean swims and practiced the bike and run of an upcoming local Triathlon. Today, though, I went to a USMS stroke clinic. We spent too much time on free, bringing us closer to a front-quadrant style swimming. But most profound were drills in butterfly. For me, it was a revelation as to breath timing. I may actually develop a nice fly if I keep on these drills. Backstroke had some good revelations as well.
I'm off to Hawaii in a few days for Maui Channel Swim relay and Waikiki Roughwater swim.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pool has been closed for annual maintenance, so I've been "gasp" running instead. :-0

4 runs last week, Strava says it was 18 kms total. Plus a 5k hike with my wife, dog and toddler, and a 20km ride yesterday during his (and my wife's) naptime.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks - nothing could put me off racing :-)

Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 mi run, a mile w/u then pretty even, 8:06 - 8:13s
2625 yd swim

23 x 100 on 1:30
325 c/d mix stroke and kick

Not sure how many 100s on 1:30 it would take for me to get bored of them...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like a challenge!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi easy 61:30
2025 yd swim

main set 10 x [50 kick + 100 fast]
held 1:13-1:11 for the first 9, then went 1:14 ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Not sure how many 100s on 1:30 it would take for me to get bored of them...

Try this...
Nova Masters Triple Crown In The Pool
All kinds of swim teams and swimmers did their 100x100s (one hundred one hundreds or century swim) in December.

Under the leadership of Michael Collins, the Nova Masters swimmers of Irvine, California puts a different spin on their distance freestyle swims. They annually do a Triple Crown during the American holiday season.

"We have special swims in November, December, January called the Triple Crown. No equipment is used, but athletes can bring hydration on the pool deck during the Triple Crown," explains the renowned adult swimming and triathlon coach.

The three swims are as follows:

Part 1 includes 50 swims on a 1:40 interval for a total swimming time of 1 hour 24 minutes total time
Part 2 includes 75 swims on a 1:30 interval for a total swimming time of 1 hour 53 minutes total time
Part 3 includes 100 swims on a 1:20 interval for a total swimming time of 2 hours 14 minutes

Coach Collins lays out the rules for the Triple Crown:

1. Swimmers are not allowed to get in once the set begins.
2. Swimmers must do every repeat without sitting any out. If a swimmer is close to missing the chosen interval or need extra rest to re-fuel or hydrate, they can swim a shorter distance.
3. Swimmers cannot miss their chosen interval. If swimmers come in after the sendoff time, they must deduct one length from that repeat. For example, if they are alternating 100′s and 75′s on the 1:30 interval and they come in on the 100 at 1:32 it only counts as a 75.
4. Swimmers cannot use any equipment such as fins, paddles or buoys.
5. Swimmers must leave :05 apart and no earlier. 0:10 apart is OK if there is space in the lane.
6. Swimmers must complete all 3 practices to be listed in the Triple Crown final results.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ocean got cold(er) 64-65 degrees. Still swam skin only, though, and so I went only 2056 yards in 31 minutes. Got out and got the shivers and white fingers about 15 minutes later. I think tomorrow morning I'll use my Orca SwimRun wetsuit. It'll be my last swim before heading over to Hawaii.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.7 mi run w/ 5 mi progressive 8:00, 7:53, 7:47, 7:41, 7:35
1300 yd swim

1000 straight
2 x [50 kick + 100 easy]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi easy run (62:12), 1000 yd swim.

August total - 25 swims = just over 48,250 yds = 27.42 mi

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my second week at altitude in Fort Collins, CO. Between moving, settling in, and starting my new job, I haven't had much of a chance to work out too many times. But, I have been in the water a few times.

Yesterday, speed work since I didn't have much time, and I tried a home-cooked version of USRPT. Again, at "altitude (is 5000' considered altitude?)."

500 as 100 swim, 25 kick (faster than W-U pace)
500 with snorkel
4 x 100 @ 1:30, hold 1:04-:05
100 swim, in 1:10
4 x 50 @ :55, held :30
50 swim
4 x 50 @ :55, held :30
200 paddles, 25 br, 75 free
100 C-D

2300 scy
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Again, at "altitude (is 5000' considered altitude?)."

I think so. My brother lives in Salt Lake, and I refer to my visits at his place as "altitude camp."

Quote Reply

Prev Next