Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)!
Quote | Reply
5k National Championships this weekend in Elk Lake... and four other races to amount to a cool 11km of open water racing!

Plus, it's ePostal season... 5k and 10k...to be done by early September... I gotta get that organized when I get back. Here's to swimming with no roof for another month!!!

Enough sprinting (tho' that was the set this morning, and I did a lightweight swim at 2,600m)! I feel a challenge coming on, Halfspeed?

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Aug 1, 14 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance! [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring it on :D Still got a few more weeks of outdoor LCM swimming and thus it is very easy to do a lot of meters.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a 'no roof over your head' challenge this month... no indoor swimming counted. (Our pool has the roof panels off, sun is on my back, does that count?)

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Aug 1, 14 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, i could do that...

I have an outdoor meet next week, then I was planning on taking a break. Some OW swims would be a nice change...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 5k OWS on Aug. 10. It's in a harbor and I hear people come out with brown crap (might be literally) all over them. Looks like fun!
I can't imagine a 5k postal swim... that would drive me batty. And a 10k? unh-unh. Not gonna happen in my 25yd pool.
All my swims are outdoors. Even though I'm in Southern California, we've had some below freezing days - ice on the deck and all.

But today, I swam in the sloshbucket at work. 25 yards of 90°F, sloppy, choppy Hell. and 90+ outside to match.

1000s 12:47
5x100 various kicks
10x50s@:45 ~:32~:34

2000 sc yards - got out before I passed out.

Good luck at the 5k championship. What's your goal time?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
August 1st Swim Day:

Morning (5.30am-7.15am)

W/U
5x200 1-2 Free/Back, 3 Kick, 4-5 IM (Fins)
4x150m 50 Kick, 100 Swim
12x50 as 4x (1. Drill, 1. Build, 1. Max first 15m) on 60s

MS
6x100 on 1.30 Descend 1-3 on 1.30

then

8x
150 Threshold on 2.10
50 Max on 60s
100 Easy on 2mins

C/D
400 Easy

6ks (50m Pool)

Arvo (4.30-5.40pm)

W/U
800 Free/Back
8x50 Variable Pace on 55s
4x100 IM on 1.40

MS
5x400 Paddles on 5.30

C/D
400 Easy

4k (50m Pool)

Quote | Reply
Seeing as I've been doing everything either OWS or at our outdoor meter pool, I'd be game.

It's recovery week in the 140.6 build, so a pretty simple 1K set to just turn the arms over:

3 x (100 swim on 1:45, 50 kick no fins on 1:10, 100 pull on 1:45, 50 kick no fins on 1:00)
100 cool

Swim and pull were easy, arriving on 1:30. Pretty stoked for how much improvement there has been in my swim this season. Really hoping it shows in both overall fitness as well as swim time at Rev3 Cedar Point.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See you on deck. Heading to the airport in a few.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would USMS have a national race during worlds?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
End of day#1 of the Elk Lake Swim Festival - 3,000m swim last night. Two laps of a 1500m loop - here's me pulling the pack around the "end of the first lap turn buoy". I came 2nd in Mens at 43 mins. (There were two super fast collegiate girls off the front who chicked us all.) The 5k National Race is Sunday, and no, I wouldn't know why they would conflict it with Worlds- except to say this 5 race series happens every year at this time.

Quote | Reply
That looks awesome! Congrats on your race. Getting chicked has become the norm for me with the likes of Lexie Kelly, Mallory Mead and such doing the local races. I'm barely staying ahead of some women my age - Jenny Cook and Veronica Hibben!

Today I combined the challenge's edict of ladders along with yours for distance:

Down the ladder from 1000 to 100 with 100k in between. Held around 1:15 pace with the 200 at 2:28 and the 100 at 1:12 (I was beat down tired.)

6500 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another nice swim - expected lightning never appeared

8x[150s+100k]
10x50@1:00 w/band 25 pull/25 scull
5x100 various kicks
[50/100/150/200]@:45 :33/:1:08/1:44/2:21
[200/150/100/50]@:45 2:19/1:43/1:06/:31
5x100 as 25k/50s/25k

4500 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11 miles of swimming over the weekend (including Friday)... Results of the Cascade Lakes Swim Series.

3000m, 43:36 - 1st in AG, 2nd in mens
500m TT, 6:54 - 1st in AG, 3rd in mens
1500m, 21:40 - 1st in AG, 2nd in mens
5000m, 1:12:36 - (National Championship) 3rd in AG, 9th in mens
1000m, 14:58 - 1st in AG, 2nd in mens

Long Series (5k+3k+1.5k) - 1st in AG, 2nd overall in mens

I note "in mens" because there were a couple of women or wetsuits that showed up in the overall standings. Overall good for my first open water swim race (as opposed to a tri). I found myself 'pulling' a marauding crowd only to be passed in the last 300m (at least it was only a couple of people). In the 5k I decided to find feet, and had a very bumpy ride. The 22 y.o. (I am 47) who won the overall long series was one that came out of my bubbles at the end of the 3k and 1.5k. Still, I think I prefer swimming from the front. The two who beat me for the national podium only swam Sunday.

Hope worlds is going well!!!

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Aug 4, 14 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've learned that in OWS finding feet is pretty much a top priority. Once found, I can relax a bit, evaluate the situation, see if there is anyone I can bridge up to, etc. I do find it choppy, and my stroke rhythm goes to crap, but it does work. Unfortunately, that rarely works for me in triathlon as I typically lead my wave. Good job!

Continuing with the August Ladder challenge:
100 to 500 with 50k in between
[25/50/75/100]@:10RI
8x50@1:00 alt k/pull with band

2400 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, looks like I'm out. Fractured T5 in a bike wreck this weekend. C7 is touch and go as well. Lucky to be resting at home, not so lucky in that it hurts to breathe.

New training plan: get healthy. Then see if I'm ever allowed to race again.

Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Owwww so sorry for you. Never let them tell you you'll never race again! I figure if my back and hips go out completely, I'll start wheelchair racing.

This AM:
10x[100s/50k]@2:30 1:13~1:04
[25/50/75/100]@:10RI pull w/band
[25/50/75/100] alt bk/br/fr cool

2000 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First swim of Aug was a 200m from sailboat to Government Island on Columbia river. Nice Portland vacation, sailed some on the Klackamas river, probably under several of the same bridges you guys swam in your bridge race a few weeks ago. Damn cold water for this southerner!

Last nights,
500 wu
6 x 200 @ 3:00, desc x3 (2:43 - 2:37)
5 x 100 @ 1:30 (~1:18)
200IM cd

right into 6 x 1000m mod pace run wkout

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True to the no roof title, my first swim of August was today - 1200 short course meters outdoors :-) midday swim; 6.5 mi run +14.1 mi bike this morning.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [rdmyers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rdmyers wrote:
Nice Portland vacation, sailed some on the Klackamas river, probably under several of the same bridges you guys swam in your bridge race a few weeks ago. Damn cold water for this southerner!

We swam the Willamette. Cut short due to lightning. I got under three of the bridges. TC might have made four. Temp was fantastic 70+°

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
woops, meant the Willamette. 70 is plenty cold for me, I'd be swimming with white hands and feet after 10 minutes.

Did that swim start in downtown Portland?

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to brag a bit since I just swam my biggest workout of the year using the basic 4x1000 suggested by Gerry Rodriguez from Tower 26.

300swim
300pull
300kick

4x1000:
1 - 5x200 pull w/ ankle band @ 3:00
2 - 10x100 swim steady @ 1:30
3 - 2x500 pull w/ ankle band
4 - 10x100 swim strong @ 2:00

100CD

Total: 5000scy

Really worked on my turnover and felt at first like I was spinning my wheels, but was still coming in about 1:15 on the fast 100s (fast for me!) and the effort felt less taxing on my lats and shoulders than my previous slow turnover style.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [rdmyers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

We started at the Sellwood Bridge – seems about 3 miles from entering Portland proper as I got hauled out, right by the OMSI submarine which is just past the new Tillikum Bridge, a little more than one hour into it. I was in the third wave, so others were 20 and 10 minutes ahead (plus or minus their swim speed compared to mine.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another work week on the road... I managed to find a pool at University of Denver, good for 6,000 yards.

Quote | Reply
I haven't been keeping up with the training log this week, but so far

Monday 100 free. 59.90. (29.4, 30.5)

Tuesday 200 free 2:14.17 (30, 32 high, 35, 35high). Ouch

Wednesday 200 IM 2:37.x (30.1, 38, 50, 37. Out too hard again.)
100 fly 1:04.35 (30.8, 33.5)

2 days off from competition then the 400 on Saturday.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: August Fishies... It's all 'bout distance (and no roof)! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You back in Maine? If so, I'm going to be really bummed we're not going to be at Kiwanis at all at the same time...

6 weeks of back brace, probably tore my rotator cuff as well...good times.

Quote Reply

Prev Next