Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
August Fish Report
Quote | Reply
Welcome to August! The challenge this month is 80000 yards. Enjoy!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Report [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, August is here. I started it off with a bang!

Open Water swim at Shaw's Cove. Three of us headed north to Abalone Point before we turned around. I have a new GPS watch (Suunto Ambit3 Sport) so I can get accurate distance and see how well I swimming straight. Well, the plot came out a bit erratic, but generally swam straight to our intended targets. The round trip was 4.2 miles in 1:39 with another 13 minutes hovering/waiting to regroup. Immediately following that, I hopped on my bike for 22.5 miles, rode some hills - 2,144 ft climbing - 1:17.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you explain how the fish report works? I'm new to slowtwich but love swimming and would like to participate. Is it just: try to swim 80,000 yards and post about it here?

Thank you!

Chlorine is my perfume
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Report [TheSlugLife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the top of the web page you should see Training Log. Enter your swim yardage into the log. You'll also see Challenges in the Training Log sub-menu. Join the August Fish challenge. The challenge picks up your yards/meters from your log entries. This thread is for posting yardage, sharing workouts and interesting, fish related things. join in! And, Welcome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, last month I got in 71kms, (not bothering with this log anymore, I got tired of maintaining 2 logs), biggest month since sometime last year. Feel good too.

Sprint workout yesterday, did one based off the "auburn sprint set" posted on swimswam a couple of days ago. I also bought a pair of fins, wanted to try them out.

1000 warmup (various things)
Main set: all at 100m race pace (14 secs for 25's and 15 for fly)
10 x 25 @ 60
50 ez
10x25 @60 fly
100 ez
10 x25 @55
150 ez
10x25 @50 fly
200 ez
10x25 @45
250 ez
10@25 @40 (put fins on for these)
300 ez

Fins were Ok, I guess.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Report [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of fins did you buy? I'm looking into buying some and would like to hear your perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Report [scooter58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half speed , good swim yesterday. Took today off as i wasn't feeling well. Should be back in the water Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno if I'll make the 80k or not this month, I'm starting to come down from my swim block and will be going back to 4 swims/week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat). Each swim should be around 5.5-7k, some lower, some higher. I have to transition back to training 1x/day (it can still be longer, though), on most weekdays, since I'm heading to college at the end of the month. Weekends (mostly Saturdays), I can train twice.

I haven't swam yet this month, but I've had a good two days of training:

Saturday 8/1 - 102 mile ride in 6 hours (exactly 17mph). I went to a nearby gran fondo, the course had over 10k feet of climbing, and it was about 105 degrees. I rode with some sub-2hr oly guys and sub-10 IM guys! It was fun, I rode it at an easy endurance pace, heart rate avg was 135. I followed it up with a very easy 1.5 mi jog + strides, just to loosen up.

Sunday 8/2 - 75min run (10 miles). I ran very easy for the first 55min and picked it up to a little below tempo for the last 20min. Felt good! I'm done for the day minus some core stuff later if I feel like it. I got in my weekend riding yesterday, so none today!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Report [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
not bothering with this log anymore, I got tired of maintaining 2 logs)
I know what you mean there! I maintain:
USMS FLOG - just for fun and to rank me against dedicated swimmers
NOVU Health Care (from work) - I get points that count towards prizes - just minutes of training, no details.
ST Log - Tradition and rankings against dedicated triathletes and such
Strava - mostly for bike riding and running - tied to my GPS watch, but I throw my swims in there, too
MapMyRide - kinda dropping this one, but easier to win segments here than Strava.
Suunto Movescount - automatic, if I wear the GPS watch.

This AM, I and two friends ran a virtual 5 mile race called the Road Shark Run. We got shirts, race number bibs, shark socks and a finishing medal. It was pretty silly, but one of my friends is coming back from running Badwater 135. She had severely wrecked her feet and had to drop out at 75 miles. This was her first run since, she seemed to run it well.

Later, I got in the pool for 2500 yards
1000s 13:13
5x100 various kicks
2x200IM
2x100@2:00 1:13/:11
4x100 s/k cool

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam a long course masters meet yesterday (8-1). Not my best competition of the year, in part because I peaked for USMS shortcourse nationals in April, and because it was a small meet. I managed 4:47 in the 400 free and 19:02 in the 1500 (I was 18:33 in May).

Today, a 4300m +/- swim in a warm lake. No need even for a cap.

I did perfectly fine in both venues, an indoor pool and a lake, with my $4 brown-tinted Swedish goggles. Same pair both days. I'm still perplexed as to why people are paying $25 or more for inferior goggles (that also don't look nearly as intimidating or COOL as the retro look). Not a single leak, no fogging, and very minor and short-term marks around these 43 year-old eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
NOVU Health Care (from work) - I get points that count towards prizes - just minutes of training, no details.

What type of prizes?

I do the ST log, and I'm only updating my USMS at the end of each month.

Today 5.5 mi run w/ 3 x 1 mi 6:44, 6:44, 6:34 and 6325 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30
6 x [100 fast + 50 kick] avg 1:12
8 x 25 on :30 IMO
5 x 200 on 3:00
100 kick
10 x 300 alt fast on 4:30/easy on 5:30 (I wanted to start all of the fasts at the top) fasts 3:51, 3:49, 3:48, 3:49, 3:55
400 alt k/back by 50
200 + 25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can proudly say I only have one log! I tried Strava for about 3 weeks, but I didn't really like it, the platform made it easy for me to forget to change info about my workouts. Particularly if I forgot to log one day and had to go back and log a prior workout. It was more a case of my stupidity than an issue with the program, but regardless I prefer the ST log!

I forgot to post yesterday's stuff - Monday 8/3:
800 build/200 kick warmup
fins on 5x100 as 25 kick/50 drill/25 fast on 1:30
8x(400 build (w/buoy) on 5:45 + 100 strong (w/paddles and buoy) on 1:45) I did the 400s in 5:30 (negative splitting each one as ~2:50 and ~2:40 for the 200s) and the 100s in 1:15
3x100 pull/paddles breathe 3/5/7/9 by 25 (this was "cooldown")
total of 5800scy in 90min, plus 30min of weights, core, and pt later in the day

And today, Tuesday 8/4, no swimming:
75min on the trainer with 5x5' hard, hard, hard (5' recovery in between)
45min easy run off the bike (6 miles) + 4x100m striders

Might do a bit of core later, otherwise, I'm done! Kinda nice getting all of that done in the morning.

Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Report [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NOVU is part of our healthcare/insurance package. You get points for minutes of exercise - any exercise (and I mean ANY!) the points can be used in raffles - you can "buy" raffle tickets for cool things, like a GoPro Hero3 White - which I spent 300 points on, and sadly, did not win; The current 4 prizes are, a 9-month Organic Fruit of the Month club, Schwinn 170 upright stationary bike, Keurig coffee maker and a Char-Broil gas BBQ grill. I used almost all my points on the GoPro, but now have earned more which I think I'm throwing at the fruit club.

My Strava is automatically updated with rides and runs from my Suunto. And, I just found out I can export FIT files from Suunto for pool swims and import into Strava. But so far, the pool swim files, although accurate in total distance and time, screws up intervals and thinks half the time I'm doing breaststroke, like today where I swam a 2000 straight in 25:52. It got that right but the splits are all over the place. I also swam 500 as cool down. 2500 sc yardages.
At lunch, I ran (walked & scrambled) some of the steepest trails out here and clocked 5.5 miles in 53:18

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today, the pool was hot. 86 degrees. It was miserable. On Monday, the heater was broken and they weren't sure when it would be fixed. Unfortunately, it's "fixed," if being nauseated and dizzy is considered fixed. Times were not great as a result - I felt horrible in that water!

Does anybody have a rough guesstimate of what the difference in speed (per 100 yards) is between 85-86 degree water and 78-80 degree water? It feels like 2-3sec/100 for me, I'm curious what you guys think.

800 build
8x100 with fins as (75 drill 6-3-6, 25 fast)
Main Set:
200 pull on 3:00
200 pull/paddles on 3:00
2x200 pull
2x200 pull/paddles
3x200 pull
3x200 pull/paddles
4x200 pull
4x200 pull/paddles
Speed Stuff:
16x25 on :30 as 3 perfect form, 1 all out (was going ~:15 for all out)
4x50 all out on 1:30 (:30, :30, :31, :31)
Cooldown 4x100 pull/paddles breathe 3/5/7/9 by 25

Total of 6,600scy. No kick sets for me since my right IT Band is a little tight and causing outer knee pain.

I'm trying to work on my all-out speed a little bit, I realized that my pace doesn't really change whether the length of the workout is 1, 1.5, or 2 hours, so I know my endurance is fine. I just need to develop some get-down speed!

Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Report [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam a little short today, just didn't feel it, but it wasn't bad:
500s 6:12
3x100 various kicks
5x100IM@2:00 1:24~:19
2x100 various kicks

1500 sc yardages

And for lunch time, a bike ride:
12.7 mi in 40.5 min with 1,819 ft climbing and 39.8mph max (fun downhill)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 m today for me. Fun stuff.

I just did random stuff. 700 warmup, 500 kick, a bunch of 100s for pace trials, some 100 IMs and then 500 at pace and a cooldown.

Love the pool :)

I don't think I'll hit 80k for August though, so far I'm only at 7k. But this is a fun challenge!

Chlorine is my perfume
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Report [TheSlugLife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This AM felt pretty good:
1000s 12:27
5x100 various kicks
400IM 100k
10x50@45 alt hard/ez (H-:31~32/E-:35~:36)

2500 sc yardages

Then at lunch, picked a fairly flat 3 mile running loop, overcooked myself and did it in 23 minutes and change. It's again getting hot and humid in SoCal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thursday: 75min trainer ride with 5x6min very hard/4min recovery + 45 min easy run off the bike w/strides (exactly 6.2 miles)

Friday AM: Pool was warm but a tiny bit colder than Wednesday, about 84. Felt sluggish for the first 3.5k but pulled it together a little bit at the end:

400ez/400pull
fins on 2x100 drill, 2x100 fast, 4x50 drill, 4x50 fast fins off
4x200 pull on 3:00 (2:45-2:50)
100 paddles
4x150 pull on 2:15 (2:03-2:05)
100 paddles
4x100 pull on 1:30 (1:20s)
100 paddles
4x50 pull on :45 (:37-:39)
100 paddles
(wasn't trying to push that set, plus I didn't feel strong at all so I just kept it aerobic and worked on my stroke)
The important stuff:
8x50 all out on 1:30 (avg :31, best were :30, worst was :31.5)
8x50 all out with paddles and fins on 1:30 (avg :26.5, best was :25.5, worst was :28)
8x25 odds easy evens sprint on :30 (sprint was :15)
8x25 odds easy evens sprint with paddles and fins on :30 (sprint was :12-:13)
Cooldown 4x100 pull/paddles breathe 3/5/7/9 by 25

Total of 5600scy

Did about 35 minutes of weights and core afterwards. I liked going fast with paddles and fins. Hoping to someday be able to go :26 without the gear! I definitely need to work more on my arm turnover, and my streamline off the wall. I'm getting better at breathing less during sprints, though!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low-key swim this morning:

600ez
fins on 2x(2x100 drill, 4x25 fly kick)
15x100 pull/paddles on 1:30 all 1:17-1:18 these felt very easy
10x50 on :45 push it a bit, avg :35
100ez cooldown
3300scy total

I kinda used the swim as a warmup to my hard ride:

2hrs on the trainer with 8x3' very hard (2' recovery in between), and a 30min easy run off the bike (4.3 miles).

Finished up by noon! Might do core later. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a whopping 1000 yards in around 15 minutes.

This was after running 10.2 miles in an hour and a half & change. Probably too much considering I have a 3 mile swim race tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friday's swim was 3300 yards

3 x 1000 building the first 500 and cruising the second 500.
100 back
100 breast
100 free super easy

There was a young lady in the lane next to me, have seen her a few times this summer, ridiculously fast. As I was working through my first 500 build she was doing a kick set on her back and keeping up with me. I by no means am a fast swimmer, but damn that was impressive. If I sped up, she sped up. After my first set I asked her where she swims 'cause she obviously isn't just "a swimmer". She swims for Western CO State Univ. Then we both took off, I couldn't catch her if I was in a canoe. It was a something to swim next to someone so good.

ETA: keep an eye on the strange denizens of the pool thread, if she happens to be an ST-er she'll probably post about "a creepy old guy"

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Aug 8, 15 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd the three mile go, HS?

I ran 10.6 miles in 80 minutes today, long run day, took it easy (7:33 average). I'm going to do some core exercises later but otherwise I'm done for the day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally back home.
It was pretty sweet! Water temp was 70.
My GPS clocked 2.75 miles in 59:10 - a 1:13/100yd pace. That works out to a 51:35 IM swim. That's a pretty decent geezer speed :)
I was 1st in my age group with over a minute on 2nd. And, I think I was 6th overall.

That's all I'm doing today. No rides, no runs.

Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Aug 9, 15 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sheesh, nice swim! Congrats!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dayum, good swimmin.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply

Prev Next