Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Athlete death post-IM Tremblant
Quote | Reply
http://triathlonmagazine.ca/feature/death-ironman-mont-tremblant/

Apparently the athlete passed away yesterday morning, after receiving medical attention on the run at IMMT on Sunday. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete death post-IM Tremblant [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw the news. Very sad thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is tragic...prayers for her family.

Not sure if she is the one I saw but there was a women put on a stretcher on the run (bike path section) and she was groaning in pain. When I saw the post on Facebook yesterday, my heart sank....So sad
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete death post-IM Tremblant [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Different person, I think. Friend of mine who was racing saw the athlete in question on the run course… It was a man, and he was down and unresponsive. Apparently he was quite close to the end of the race, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could have been.....The person I saw that was down was responsive and in a lot of pain. While I didn't get a look, it sounded like a female.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a gentleman. Very sad. Was apparently in a bike accident earlier in the race but still continued.
http://triathlonmagazine.ca/...nman-mont-tremblant/
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete death post-IM Tremblant [tri_pilot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is so tragic so terrible! I saw him down on the run course and he was being tended to. It looked and sounded to me like he was seizing. I wonder if he hit his head when he crashed on the bike. Just awful. I am so sorry for this and for his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also wondering if it was someone I had come across on the run course. I was maybe a km or two into the trail on my first lap, with a 1:14 swim and 6:01 bike, which according to results, put me in close proximity of the person in question.
I saw a guy laying down in the grass on the left side (going outbound) kind of looking around. I stopped and asked if he needed help getting up. He reached out his hand and I helped him up, but he was very unsteady. Otherwise seemed fine, but pretty woozy. Myself and another person sat him back down and said we'd notify the medics, and someone running the opposite direction said the same. I mentioned him to them at the next aid station...

But as I mentioned in another thread, I also saw further up the path, the medics flying in on an ATV pulling a cart with someone else laying in the back, towel wrapped over head and O2 mask on, medic sitting with them. So i guess that could have been the person too...

:(
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete death post-IM Tremblant [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this man about 20 minutes after you. He was in the fetal position lying to the left of the bike path about 500 m down the trail from the lake. He was being attended to by 2 or 3 race personnel. It appeared that they had packed ice bags around him.

The young woman was further down the bike path on the right (outbound). If I remember correctly she was near the aid station with the brass band. She was being loaded onto a cart when I saw her. She was on a stretcher and had an O2 mask on. She appeared to be unconscious. The female paramedic ( I assume) who was by her head said "Stay with me____. C'mon, stay with me". I felt sick when I heard that.

IM is such a beautiful sport in many ways. The pure joy and emotion of the man who was the last athlete to finish - to a thunderous crowd shout of " You are an Ironman" was a privilege to be part of. It is incredibly sad to learn that in that same event an athlete lost his life.

For me the joy of IM is the shared experience. I am so sorry to hear that this gentleman passed away. His family must be devastated. Perhaps it may provide a very small measure of comfort to his family and friends to know that his fellow triathletes and their families are saddened by this loss to our community. I hope that the female athlete made a full recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I think that was me helping you get that guy back up to the trail. Caught a race volunteer about a minute later down the course and they had medics passing me on my way to him about a minute later. Talked to a few of the medics after the race and they said they had a very very busy day out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete death post-IM Tremblant [HeartlessNomad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's bothered me a lot to be honest, but I don't think there is anything else to do other than what we did - sat him back down after realizing how dizzy he seemed to be.
Not that it is any of our business, but given that they got to him, and got him to the hospital, it would be interesting to know what the complications were that caused him to pass a day+ later.
:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having been trained as a first responder there was nothing else we could have done. Got him back on the trail and did our best along with everyone else to get medics there as fast as possible. Without water to give him there was nothing else to be done.
Quote Reply