Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

At what age ?
Quote | Reply
Just bought my 9 year old daughter, soon to be 10 a road bike. When should I start her on clip in pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: At what age ? [sidlulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anytime.

Like most kids, after a few sessions, she won't think anything about it (clipping in and out). As a parent however, just be sure to predict/forecast safety at crucial places and stopping points. Also, you might consider starting with MTB shoes & pedals (SPDs) - easier to walk around, etc.
Last edited by: Brushman: Oct 21, 14 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've actually wondered whether toe cages are better for the shorter races, which are typical for for the kids. Get shoes on once, then they don't come off for the rest of the race.

And I can't imagine the carnage of a 9 year old crit race.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age ? [Lastcall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lastcall wrote:
I've actually wondered whether toe cages are better for the shorter races, which are typical for for the kids. Get shoes on once, then they don't come off for the rest of the race.

And I can't imagine the carnage of a 9 year old crit race.

Hardly carnage. Most of the ones around here have between 5-10 kids at that age, and by the time they finish one lap they are so spread out that their only danger is to themselves. The worst danger is one of them falling over at the start line. :p

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sidlulu wrote:
Just bought my 9 year old daughter, soon to be 10 a road bike. When should I start her on clip in pedals?

Now. There's no reason to wait.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age ? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 9-year-old son has been riding clipless for the past year on the mountain bike. I used some old Ritchey (Wellgo) pedals from the parts bin. They can use the readily available 2-bolt SPD cleats but have a softer release than Shimano pedals.
Quote Reply