Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Asthma & Racing & Doping
Quote | Reply
So after 2 years of suffering from breathing/inhaling problems I have finally been diagnosed with having asthma....something I only seem to suffer from when I m in Munich, Germany, but never when I m in away from Munich! I tend to be fine when I m on the WestCoast or the UK for longer periods of time, and not being able to train properly for the past two years and seriously taken its toll.

I have been prescribed Symbicort twice daily and Salbutamol to take before training sessions, and after 2 weeks of taking Symbicort my lungs feel a lot better already.

As far as I m aware both come under Doping. But also have been told that if I have a letter from my doctor stating that I have a medical condition, then I can still race Ironman or Challenge Events.

1) I presume I need a letter in English from the Doctor, not the German one currently provided?
2) Do I need to declare it when I sign up for a race?
3) Do I declare it when pick up start documents

My presumption is that i won't get pulled in for a doping test, as I m just not fast enough ti even get near to qualifying for 70.3 or Kona for example!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I m doing Miami 70.3 in October (first race since Ironman Mallorca 2014) and don't want to run foul of the regulations!

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Asthma & Racing & Doping [alexne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most (if not all) typical asthma medications are not prohibited items except in extremely high doses. You have no issues to worry about. You don't need a physician's note or declare it or get a TUE or anything. You will not fail a drug test.

Here is WADA's prohibited list: https://www.wada-ama.org/...t_2017_eng_final.pdf

S3. Beta-2 Agonists
All beta-2 agonists are prohibited at all times by any route of administration (oral, inhaled, injected), except for:
  • Inhaled Albuterol (also called salbutamol) in dosages under 1600 micrograms (mcg) in any 24-hour period (not to exceed 800 mcg in 12 hours)
  • Inhaled Formoterol in dosages less than 54 mcg in any 24-hour period
  • Inhaled Salmeterol in dosages not to exceed 200 mcg in any 24-hour period

If you use more than these amounts of albuterol, formoterol, or salmeterol, are taking a diuretic medication in conjunction with these inhalers, or using an inhaler with another beta-2 agonist (like pirbuterol, indacaterol, procaterol, reproterol, terbutaline, fenoterol, olodaterol, vilanterol or any other beta-2 agonist), you are required to submit a TUE for use. The table below is a guide to determine the dosage of albuterol, formoterol and salmeterol inhaled beta-agonists that may be used in sport without a TUE. However, an athlete should examine his/her inhaler closely to determine the exact dose delivered.

Examples of Inhaler Brands and Strengths

Recommended Dosing by Manufacturer

WADA MAXIMUM doses per 24 hours

Advair Diskus 100/50, 250/50, or 500/50
Each has salmeterol 50mcg per puff

1 puff twice each day
(=100 mcg salmeterol)

Do not take more than Salmeterol 200 mcg in 24 hours

Advair HFA 45/21, 115/21, or 230/21
Each has salmeterol 21 mcg per puff

2 puffs twice each day
(=84 mcg salmeterol)

Albuterol 108 mcg per puff
(dosing 90 mcg of salbutamol)
ProAir, Proventil, Ventolin

1-2 puffs every 4 hours as needed for wheezing

Do not take more than 8 puffs in 12 hours

Bevespi Aerosphere 4.8/9

2 puffs twice each day
(=9.2 mcg formoterol)
Do not take more than 11 puffs a day

Dulera 100/5 or 200/5
Each has formoterol 5 mcg per puff

2 puffs twice each day
(=20 mcg formoterol)

Do not take more than 10 puffs a day

Foradil Aerolizer 12 mcg per puff

1 capsule inhaled every 12 hours
(=24 mcg formoterol)

Do not take more than 4 puffs a day

Serevent Diskus 50 mcg per puff

1 puff twice each day
(=100 mcg salmeterol)

Symbicort 80 /4.5 or 160 /4.5
Each has formoterol 4.5 mcg per puff
2 puffs twice each day
(=18 mcg formoterol)
Do not take more than 12 puffs a day

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Asthma & Racing & Doping [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

TUE not needed. Asthma medications are not prohibited for normal dosage.

Quote Reply
Re: Asthma & Racing & Doping [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Good to know. There is a section in there on Asthma which I didn't read.
I was specifically looking for insulin (which I will eventually need) when I saw it the other day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I was specifically looking for insulin (which I will eventually need) when I saw it the other day.

It's a common misconception that worries people (like the OP) all the time. I wish the fact asthma meds are not prohibited was more well known.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

It's a common misconception that worries people (like the OP) all the time. I wish the fact asthma meds are not prohibited was more well known.

The link I provided points to the official document that explains it all.
https://www.wada-ama.org/...fo-asthma-5.1-en.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. Makes it a lot clearer, and I can happily puff along ..... within limits!

Better start training then!

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Not needed for insulin with diagnosed diabetes either unless you are an international/professional athlete. But worth the note to usada, they're very friendly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

The problem is that they really are performance enhancing in absurd dosage levels. So they need to include them in the list. However yes at any reasonable prescribed dose, asthma meds don't count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

The link I provided points to the official document that explains it all.
https://www.wada-ama.org/...fo-asthma-5.1-en.pdf

Right, and you don't need a high level of Google-Fu to be able to find that. Still kind of amazing that athletes who need to know such information don't seem to bother to go looking for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Asthma & Racing & Doping [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but I did have a look and there was just to much info, and I do not have the patience to sort through it! So asking you guys to some insight seemed like an easier option. :)

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexne wrote:
True, but I did have a look and there was just to much info, and I do not have the patience to sort through it! So asking you guys to some insight seemed like an easier option. :)

of course. But I'm going to channel Kevin M here and say that if you are going to rely on ST to give you info on what is or is not allowed (in and/or out of competition), then you deserve whatever penalty you might get.

They actually make it pretty easy to determine what you can and can't do.
Quote Reply
Re: Asthma & Racing & Doping [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's prescription like others have said, you're probably good to go.

Welcome (albeit sorry you had to join) to the asthma family. Not the coolest group of kids at the table but hey, there are lots of us!

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply