Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Article: Carbohydrate Loading DOES NOT Work
Quote | Reply
Carbohydrate Loading DOES NOT Work

http://drmirkin.com/...g-does-not-work.html

this guy and his wife are pretty good. you may want to check out his Bio and Blog

Sports medicine doctor, fitness guru and long-time radio host Gabe Mirkin, M.D., and his wife, nutritionist Diana Mirkin bring you news and tips for your healthful lifestyle. A practicing physician for 50 years

Quote | Reply
Pretty misleading article title considering he goes on to tell people to carbo load. It would be more accurate and not click-baity if it said "You don't need to load for seven days" - which isn't exactly new stuff. I've never done anything but the 8-10g CHO per kg body weight in the 24 hours leading up to races that'll last over 90 minutes.

Abell
Quote Reply
Re: Article: Carbohydrate Loading DOES NOT Work [timeforacompact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"In endurance events lasting longer than three hours, you need carbohydrates, protein, fluid and salt"

I thought that protein regimen was proven incorrect (or at the least not really beneficial) long ago?
Quote Reply
Re: Article: Carbohydrate Loading DOES NOT Work [timeforacompact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A misleading title to get hits?

Never seen this before.
Quote Reply
Re: Article: Carbohydrate Loading DOES NOT Work [abell103] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i disagree that it was misleading. His first sentence is "“Carbohydrate loading” the night before a big race can harm your performance and your health." He then goes on to explain that the regimen of depletion/overcompensation, which most people would recognize as the 'Carbohydrate loading,' does not result in storage of extra glycogen.
"We now know that the theory was wrong because your muscles can only store a very limited amount of sugar and all extra carbohydrates are immediately stored as fat. When you load up on refined carbohydrates such as bakery products, pastas and potatoes before a competition, you just become fatter. "
He does not go on to tell people to carbo load. he says to eat a regular diet, a regular breakfast and a few extra carbs a half hour before the race. then how much to take during the race.

this isn't click bait, he's not that kinda guy. i know there are plenty of people out there that still think you have to stuff in the carbs the days before the race and especially the night before the race. well, they don't.

Quote | Reply
It's misleading and cherry picks the data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timeforacompact wrote:
i disagree that it was misleading. His first sentence is "“Carbohydrate loading” the night before a big race can harm your performance and your health." He then goes on to explain that the regimen of depletion/overcompensation, which most people would recognize as the 'Carbohydrate loading,' does not result in storage of extra glycogen.
"We now know that the theory was wrong because your muscles can only store a very limited amount of sugar and all extra carbohydrates are immediately stored as fat. When you load up on refined carbohydrates such as bakery products, pastas and potatoes before a competition, you just become fatter. He does not go on to tell people to carbo load. he says to eat a regular diet, a regular breakfast and a few extra carbs a half hour before the race. then how much to take during the race.
this isn't click bait, he's not that kinda guy. i know there are plenty of people out there that still think you have to stuff in the carbs the days before the race and especially the night before the race. well, they don't.

I don't think many people know about the depletion/super compensation idea. Most just think about sticking up on pasta/rice the days before a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the first few paragraphs and decided that this article was very misleading. Numerous conclusions that can't be supported. I would not read this.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Article: Carbohydrate Loading [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<You can eat anything you want as long as it:
• can pass from your stomach before you start the race, and
• is not full of sugar.
Most athletes take their pre-race meal three to four hours before they compete. The meal should contain some protein in addition to carbohydrates, but avoid sugar-added drinks or foods. A pre-race meal could include eggs, oatmeal or other whole-grain cereals, oranges, grapefruit and other fruits, bagels and so forth.>>

oatmeal or other whole-grain cereals, oranges, grapefruit and other fruits, bagels and so forth = SUGAR! So skip that crap. And the stoopid pasta dinner too.

Eat the eggs! And get some calories during the event.

I always liked the depletion/ replenishment phase, gave me a reason to walk around the office all grumpy and tired and talk about how I was gonna do a triathlon and had to do this elaborage ritual beforehand.

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply