Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Armstrong interview at TBI
Quote | Reply
i promised some of you on the TBI conference thread that if i could find a video or audio tape of the interview at the conference i'd post it. i found out. it's posted on the home page, as promised, but if you don't want to migrate over there, here it is:

if you're only interested in the drug stuff, and the bullying behavior, and his comments about this, omit the first 60 minutes and just to to the 1-hour mark. i think the last 6 minutes are his meatiest comments about his past behavior. (but i thought the whole interview was revealing.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 27, 17 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I still have nothing but respect for Lance, and would love to race with him any day, and get my butt kicked. The louder some bitch, IMO, the more I would be interested about what is in their closets.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, dave. i'm going to let the interview speak for itself; i'm not going to explain the interview, what i was thinking, why i asked what i asked; why i didn't ask what i didn't ask.

i just will say two things. first, right after the interview i fell into a group and somebody said, "can't we just forget and move on?" and i said, "no, we can't forget. but we can move on." and that describes about 80 percent of how i feel.

secondly, i don't begrudge anyone his opinion, and almost everyone has an opinion at odds with mine because mine is weird and nuanced and doesn't nicely fit in a camp. probably the one person who has come around to the view i hold about lance is lance, if you watch the last 6 minutes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 27, 17 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I look back at my first 39 years of life and at times I was a real ass hole. Now, for the folks who either only knew me then, or ones that never let go, I will
always be an ass hole.

I have worked hard the last 20 years of my life to grow and improve. Has Lance stated, I no longer care what others think, since the ones who talk the loudest usually,
well, ...

I bet 99% of folks if there were in his shoes at the time would have done the exact same thing! I just love how some try to be so holy.

This is why I wish him the best going forward. He gets it. I would LOVE to see him racing with us again. It would be by far the best thing that ever would have happened to our sport. I do not think I have ever seen such excitement in our sport as when he was racing again!!

And I would be shocked if most RD's would not love to have him on their starting line. I know I sure would. I would love to see him racing as an AGer on TeamUSA. Would be
so cool!

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I look back at my first 39 years of life and at times I was a real ass hole."

i'm glad i didn't know you then ;-)

"I bet 99% of folks if there were in his shoes at the time would have done the exact same thing!"

maybe. but that doesn't make it right. i've had this discussion many times here on the forum and i'm not going to do it again and i don't want you to take us down that rabbit hole.

"I would be shocked if most RD's would not love to have him on their starting line."

then you would be shocked. they'd love to have the 2012 lance there. most want nothing to do with the 2017 lance. it's not that they suddenly got ethics. they want sponsors and entries, period. and he's both very compelling and highly radioactive. most of the big RDs were at the TBI conference. a number of them talked to me about lance, after the interview. they just don't know what lance would mean to their races.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
probably the one person who has come around to the view i hold about lance is lance, if you watch the last 6 minutes.

That was really surprising. I don't know why I'm surprised by it, maybe because I always concluded that he was too egomanical and sociologically inept, but that spill about his "walk" at the end is pretty refreshing.

At the end of the day, he still strikes me as an extremely intelligent and very intentional person, but there seems to be a bit more inner reflection and perspective and all which is nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I bet 99% of folks if there were in his shoes at the time would have done the exact same thing! I just love how some try to be so holy.

Well, the 99% of folks that were there in his shoes didn't do the exact same thing (apart from the drugs), so that's a weird assertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always been amazed at how much support Lance had especially here in the US and still has. As a franco American triathlete and fan of the tour like almost the entire population of France, what he did to them (us) could be compared to a french guy who would, for 7 years in a row, come and steal the super bowl ball 5 minutes from the end and run away with it. Because of him it s been real hard to sell the american ideal over there and I can only understand that. I won't even go into how cancer victims, sport lovers....... have been fooled and hunted by this guy.
Vive la France et vive les USA
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [def] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
def wrote:
I have always been amazed at how much support Lance had especially here in the US and still has. As a franco American triathlete and fan of the tour like almost the entire population of France, what he did to them (us) could be compared to a french guy who would, for 7 years in a row, come and steal the super bowl ball 5 minutes from the end and run away with it. Because of him it s been real hard to sell the american ideal over there and I can only understand that. I won't even go into how cancer victims, sport lovers....... have been fooled and hunted by this guy.

You did hear Lance basically say EVERYONE did it, so why continue to single him out?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You did hear Lance basically say EVERYONE did it, so why continue to single him out?"

dave. did you read what i wrote to you a couple of posts up? are we going to break a record for how quickly a thread gets locked?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not everybody won the tour though. Nobody cares if they cheat when they finish 8th 25th or 230 th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"You did hear Lance basically say EVERYONE did it, so why continue to single him out?"

dave. did you read what i wrote to you a couple of posts up? are we going to break a record for how quickly a thread gets locked?

Locked for what? I just repeated what he said.

Our world has become too PC with too many snowflakes thinking their opinions are the ONLY ones that any of us can have.

So I respect that is your opinion. I just have a different opinion. We are going to have our Lake of the Pines Tri for fun back again after we put it on hold
after 30 years. Maybe I should invite him to come and race with us. Trust me, no one here will care about the crap some just attack on in your forum!
We all make mistakes. The bigger people can forgive and go forward. It is not what he has done, but what he will do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great interview. I would have loved to have been in your seat, especially around 32:00-34:00 with regard to cheating and why/how people do it and to some extent why he did it. I get he said later "everyone was doing it" but still it says a lot about how it's nearly impossible to have a pure race now days and that the human nature is to win at any and all costs. Fun to watch. Still wished we would have seen 1-2 attempts at Kona just to see how he would have done. Such is life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I look back at my first 39 years of life and at times I was a real ass hole."

i'm glad i didn't know you then ;-)

"I bet 99% of folks if there were in his shoes at the time would have done the exact same thing!"

maybe. but that doesn't make it right. i've had this discussion many times here on the forum and i'm not going to do it again and i don't want you to take us down that rabbit hole.

"I would be shocked if most RD's would not love to have him on their starting line."

then you would be shocked. they'd love to have the 2012 lance there. most want nothing to do with the 2017 lance. it's not that they suddenly got ethics. they want sponsors and entries, period. and he's both very compelling and highly radioactive. most of the big RDs were at the TBI conference. a number of them talked to me about lance, after the interview. they just don't know what lance would mean to their races.

Well, assuming I have the correct email address, I just wrote Lance a message inviting him to our Tri for Fun at Lake of the pines on Sept 2nd, and CCed you. Now, no way he will
accept, but I did want to show I walk my talk. I am an RD who would love to have the 2017 Lance be my guest racing in our little community event. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
.......(apart from the drugs).............

That's a pretty big "except" don't ya think?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love him or hate him he was a killer on two wheels. Did he cheat absolutely did everyone else absolutely. It's extremely easy for all of us to cast stones at what he did having not been in his shoes. Would I have used EPO as an age grouper no way but if my livelihood and income depended on it you bet your ass I would. I would never condone the way he treated people and went after them when they called him on his lie. But to chastise him having never walked a mile in his shoes seems pretty unfair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For myself and others, it's not the cheating. He just out cheated the best. Whatever.

What makes him disposable is the way he went about trying to destroy good people just to save his ass. He is in a class of asshole most of us are not.

Frankly, I think he fits the classic definition of a sociopath. So maybe it's not his fault?
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, he bankrupted anybody who was against him with his army of lawyers.
That is not behavior of "everybody"
People seem to have forgotten that lives and families were irreversibly destroyed
Not sure if supporters can see that fact, maybe if it were to happen to them or their family....

Jason80134 wrote:
For myself and others, it's not the cheating. He just out cheated the best. Whatever.

What makes him disposable is the way he went about trying to destroy good people just to save his ass. He is in a class of asshole most of us are not.

Frankly, I think he fits the classic definition of a sociopath. So maybe it's not his fault?
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [def] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
def wrote:

Hinault seems to be well respected in France...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Locked for what? I just repeated what he said.

Our world has become too PC with too many snowflakes thinking their opinions are the ONLY ones that any of us can have.

So I respect that is your opinion. I just have a different opinion. We are going to have our Lake of the Pines Tri for fun back again after we put it on hold
after 30 years. Maybe I should invite him to come and race with us. Trust me, no one here will care about the crap some just attack on in your forum!
We all make mistakes. The bigger people can forgive and go forward. It is not what he has done, but what he will do.
Funny how you're so forgiving of Lance but you were aghast at Julie Miller's behavior.

Or maybe we should just call a troll a troll.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What makes him disposable is the way he went about trying to destroy good people just to save his ass. He is in a class of asshole most of us are not."

can i ask you, did you watch the interview?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lennyk wrote:
Correct, he bankrupted anybody who was against him with his army of lawyers.
That is not behavior of "everybody"
People seem to have forgotten that lives and families were irreversibly destroyed
Not sure if supporters can see that fact, maybe if it were to happen to them or their family....

Sounds like you have been listening to Bitchy Andreu and Greg LeMond. Here is a clue. Both of them are liars just as much as Lance ever was. The difference is that Lance fessed up while those two continue their lies. Neither of them give a damn about drugs in cycling. It was always a way of pursuing a feud with Lance.

You don't see Greg crying about all those he competed with using drugs and stealing victories from him. He refuses to acknowledge it. He could have told the public, "I know Lance is doping because everyone at that level is doping. It was like that when I was a pro. It was like that before I turned pro. It was like after I retired. It is still like that." Instead he fabricated an elaborate lie about how he used his 1983 knowledge of exercise physiology to figure out Lance must be using drugs. He continues to tell this bogus story to anyone who will listen--that is when he is not doing public events with Merckx, Hinault, and Indurain or glad handing Sean Kelly. Yeah, this guy really cares about doping.

Betsy is now spending her time spreading rumors that Lance was using a motor to win the Tour. It is complete and utter bullshit and she knows it. Her Facebook page looks like the wall you would find in the basement of a whacked stalker who pins up surreptitiously snapped pics and lipstick stained napkins fished out of a garbage can. It is all about Lance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing, Dan.

One thing that resonated with me was Lance talking about having to either cut back or stop running. He said, "I'm back on the bike." It was an issue with his psoas muscle. Man, I feel for him. I assume he loves to run. But, due to the muscle issue, he can't. That sucks. I can relate because I have a health issue that is causing me to have to give up things like running. But, in my current condition, I have to also give up cycling and swimming.
Last edited by: Recoverie: Jan 27, 17 19:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
..."no, we can't forget. but we can move on." ...

I think you're spot on with this... and I personally think Lance is trying to, but only time will tell if he's moving on the right way.

I think the last 6 mins pretty much sums up the "Lance" issues. It's either 1 or 5 stars and people will never convince the 1 he's a 5 nor will the 1's be able to convince the 5's the other way around.

I think we all could agree though that Dan gives Oprah a run for her money... well except that whole phone ringing thing. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong interview at TBI [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
rubik wrote:
.......(apart from the drugs).............

That's a pretty big "except" don't ya think?

No, not at all. And he says the exact same thing in the last bit of that interview.
Quote Reply

Prev Next