Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [Jeff_Argon18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff_Argon18 wrote:
PINGBEN wrote:
undies wrote:
the problem isn't with the stem (other than the recall on the spacer!!), but with the extension fitting, (with the 2 vertical bolts per side). With any riser spacers it is impossible to stop the extension fitting rotating left/right, so bar ends move together and apart!

I agree the design with 2 vertical bolts (aligned with the extension fitting) is too weak. A design with 3 bolts in triangle would have been safer ( but then there would have been very little side adjustements possibilities).
I am not confortable with the aerobars even without riser spacer.

Today, ESM ( the Importer for Argon in France) had accepted that there is a problem. They mentionned that they ( Argon18) are working to design a new piece that would improve the system. A part will improve the system.

They also mentionned that we perceive a high flex in the aerobar when we are static and that it is not that bad when we are on the bike.
[ I will reply to them - in curve , it is unconfortable!!]

Re: East-West movement of extension bars some of you may be experiencing at raised position:

We are in the midst of producing a computer mount that will be shipped to all our distributors/dealers world-wide in the coming weeks. This will not only be a good accessory for your computer set-up but also serve as a bridge between the bars as it is designed by Argon 18 specifically for our configuration.

We do want to maintain as much adjustability as possible and this is a common issue with spacers installed however it is much more noticeable when the bike is stationary without a rider in motion. It takes very little force to turn the wheel in motion. That said we are providing a solution for this, it is coming soon, we will advise our retailers as to shipping timing in the coming weeks. It should be available at your LBS in May however we are working to get it done sooner.

Is the Computer Mount available now?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [JonnyB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The computer mount is available ( 1 year approx). At least, it avoids the flex but creates problem with front hydratation system.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [PINGBEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where can I get one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact your local Argon 18 dealer and they should be able to hook you up.

Quote | Reply
Cheers I've managed to get one from iRide the UK importer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello to all
I also bought a 118e I had the same problem of the rotation of the handlebar on its mounting point.
My dealer I installed the new sram red with new zipp firecrest 404 and 808 and I have problems with the brake adjustment and contact between the rear wheel and frame.
You as you have solved?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [vecioalpinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply]The rear brake problem can be solved by removing one or 2 spacers. The bike is delivered with spacers 1mm and 2mm. You can remove them both if necessary.
I admit that the brakes are not easy to adjust but, with the time you will manage.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [PINGBEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Pingben
This evening I will control it, I'm also in contact with Jeff, of Argon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with sideways movement of the bars. Movement was considerable and the bolts under the left pad seemed to come loose during any ride over 40 km or if I hit a big pothole. I tried the profile designs water bottle and mounting bracket up front between the bars with the bottle mount zip tied around the extensions. This worked pretty well but after longer rides I still noticed some play. I finally inverted the bottle mount, mounting the bracket upside down but still forward facing, and got a much tighter connection of bracket to extension. 2 zip ties on each side and all is good-no movement and bolts are still tight after very long rides. The only drawback is that moving the bracket as such will tilt the bottle enough that some liquid may prove difficult to access with the straw(maybe an ounce or so).
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlowAmericano wrote:
I had the same problem with sideways movement of the bars. Movement was considerable and the bolts under the left pad seemed to come loose during any ride over 40 km or if I hit a big pothole. I tried the profile designs water bottle and mounting bracket up front between the bars with the bottle mount zip tied around the extensions. This worked pretty well but after longer rides I still noticed some play. I finally inverted the bottle mount, mounting the bracket upside down but still forward facing, and got a much tighter connection of bracket to extension. 2 zip ties on each side and all is good-no movement and bolts are still tight after very long rides. The only drawback is that moving the bracket as such will tilt the bottle enough that some liquid may prove difficult to access with the straw(maybe an ounce or so).

Hi SlowAmericano
Can you post some photo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure- I should have them up by tonight
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not experienced this issue to an extent that id be worried. There is minimal movement jsut due to tolerance of the assembly, but theres really no way for the bars to rotate is isntalled properly. Make sure the indentations are going into the basebar properly, and they are torqued down well.

I also run a BTA bottle setup which adds some stiffness but I didnt always have it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to replace the fork in the 2012 Argon E118? Is the headset standard size?

The reason I ask is that I would be able to
1. Use a standard front brake caliper
2. Have greater fitting flexibility (stem)
3. POSSIBLY shave a little weight off

* I understand that this would basically be the E116 set up then...
* I understand that I would lose the aero advantages of the argon -bayonet fork

P.S. absolutely love the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [B Bartels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B Bartels wrote:
Is it possible to replace the fork in the 2012 Argon E118? Is the headset standard size?

The reason I ask is that I would be able to
1. Use a standard front brake caliper
2. Have greater fitting flexibility (stem)
3. POSSIBLY shave a little weight off

* I understand that this would basically be the E116 set up then...
* I understand that I would lose the aero advantages of the argon -bayonet fork

P.S. absolutely love the bike.

Thanks for the love!

As for the fork swap-no it's not possible. The main issue is not the bearings as they are the same. The issue would be with the shape of the E-116's rear head/section of the fork which is larger in diameter than the one on the E-118. So using the E-116 fork on the E-118 would reduce the turning angle and rub on the frame, making it impossible to steer the bike properly.

Re weight; note that lighter materials are used in the E-118 vs the E-116
Re fitting; stem is adjustable as well as pads, so you should be able to achieve any reach between 65-95 mm's
Re brakes; aero V brakes=enormous stopping power

Any further questions, just message me with your email as I am not on here often.

Thanks for the support of our product!

Optimal Balance makes the world go 'round!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, i am lucas. I have a question abt getting an extension bar holder replacement.
My shipper lost both the extension bar holders in a shipment to overseas. I have been trying to find for replacement in order for me to race in the coming up ironman 70.3 in April. Now my bike is incomplete. Any advice?

can mail me at seowfung at yahoo dot com

lucas
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E 118 (2012) aerobars problem [mine75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mine75 wrote:
Hi, i am lucas. I have a question abt getting an extension bar holder replacement.
My shipper lost both the extension bar holders in a shipment to overseas. I have been trying to find for replacement in order for me to race in the coming up ironman 70.3 in April. Now my bike is incomplete. Any advice?

can mail me at seowfung at yahoo dot com

lucas

Contact Argon directly. If you have no local dealers, you can order from them directly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next