Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower?
Quote | Reply
Through a friend i managed to get a really good deal on a 1080 zipp wheelset, now let me tell you i am a bigger guy 6'2 204lbs and from some of the comments I have received from others plus my recent experience (limited). This set up might not be ideal for me and further more maybe even deterrent from the original goal.

to put it lightly, bar any crazy wind conditions, is having this set worse than your standard aluminum wheels that come with an argon 18 bike?

thanks for your comments and thoughts
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [ec6863] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they faster than a standard Al rims, yes. Are they slower than other shallower deep rim wheelsets? Yes, slower than most.

But you are still ahead of the game compared to the low end Al wheels that ship with most bikes.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Jan 30, 15 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Are they faster than a standard Al rims, yes. Are they slower than other shallower deep rim wheelsets? Yes, slower than most.

But you are still ahead of the game compared to the low end Al wheels that ship with most bikes.

What shallower deep rim wheelsets are faster?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are these 1080s clinchers or tubulars? I seem to remember most 1080s are tubulars. What tires and tubes are running?
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rbuike wrote:

What shallower deep rim wheelsets are faster?

808FC for starters and I'm willing to bet the 404FC is too

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Jan 30, 15 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont forget all of HED and Flo... basically every deep, blunt nose wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubulars, and I am using Zipp tires, I dont remember the model right now
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much all of the modern shapes from Hed, Zipp, Flo, Bontrager, etc are faster. And likely any other rims using the current wider profile.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually they fall in between in terms of aerodynamics. http://www.zipp.com/...ro_edge_flyer_11.pdf

To the OP, if it's a handling thing, I'll trade you my dimpled non-fc 404 tubulars. But no, they are not slower wheels.
Last edited by: Runless: Jan 30, 15 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
correct me if i am wrong but i believe i've seen some data about yaw in actual real time settings that seems to suggest that we rarely see anything over 5 degrees and most of the time this is closer to 2.5 degrees. I believe this goes for half and down distances in the US where events are held early in the morning. It would seem to me that you would need quite a wind to get to 15+. I get that out here (CO) but only when riding parallel to the foothills on gusty days.

ETA: i *think* it was some data run with using either Balazs Csoke or Matt White.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: MarkyV: Jan 30, 15 16:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are waaay faster than stock wheels. Are they as fast as some of the modern firecrest/sct/flo shapes? No, but much much closer to those than to your alum trainers.

If you eventually want to do any upgrade, just go to a newer 60 or 90mm front. The back one is fine, since it drafts the seat tube and doesn't impact handling.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2013/04/why-tire-crr-matters.html

Tom has Mavic's yaw measurement plot in here (first place I could think of)

Heavily centered around low yaw #'s (the plot should sum up to ~200%, given it's symmetrical between -25 and 25)

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really if you look at the data the 1080 is neck and neck with the firecrest 808 up to 10 degrees(and the old 808 isn't bad at all and a touch faster up to 5 degrees), firecrest shapes just have a much higher stall angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely not worse than std. Al.

Great set - ride fast. Pro for training: you will be comfortable with any wind related movement come race day. Con for training: not bomb proof compared to std Al. but not bad either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 1080's are on par or even slightly faster than the Firecrest 808 according to the Bontrager white paper (page 16). Their paper of course shows the Aeolus wheel being very fast, but there would no reason to bias the Zipp vs. Zipp comparisons. If you don't have problems with handling or tubulars I don't see any reason to sell/replace.

http://media.bontrager.com/...aeolus_d3_wheels.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you are cycling moistly uphill and the 1080's are heavier than your old wheels (which I doubt they are) or you are just not used to the effect of side winds on a deep rim. I cant see them being slower.

how about doing back to back 10 mile tt's and see?
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good one but not the one that I saw. The one I'm referring too had something like 80-85% of time at yaw within 5/-5. I'll try and find it. But given this information it seems that high yaw values are marketing and not much else. The wider contact surface/rim/ trailing edge are good for crr but what else?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Almost makes me think then that if the data I'm digging for is evenly partly accurate that racing a non fc 808 would be smarter. Or at the very least not detracting (crr now withstanding).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
if the data I'm digging for is evenly partly accurate that racing a non fc 808 would be smarter.

I'll say this, I'm not selling ours anytime soon. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you make of the crr differences between a wide rim and a skinny rim? Assuming, say a gp4000s tire.

Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know which distribution plot you're thinking of, sorry. Let us know if/when you find it! (Trek had one public at some point, I think?) I do agree with you that I optimize entirely around low yaw.

SS20 is really low CRR. :-) It really seems that the CRR race is just happening at the 23mm level--which is understandable from a comfort standpoint.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. With these findings I'm moving my recommendation to a 23 GP 4000s on a rear wide rim and ss20 on the front. What i'm waffling on is whether skinny or wide rim up front is best taking into consideration handling issues as well on a per athlete basis.

Quote Reply
Re: Are my Zipps 1080 Making me slower? [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRC wrote:
Unless you are cycling moistly uphill and the 1080's are heavier than your old wheels (which I doubt they are) or you are just not used to the effect of side winds on a deep rim. I cant see them being slower.

how about doing back to back 10 mile tt's and see?

I am going to give that a try, sometimes I feel like its mental and I end up doing better just because I think I will do better. So even at slower speeds I am still better off? from what I have read, the real benefit comes after 19+mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
I agree. With these findings I'm moving my recommendation to a 23 GP 4000s on a rear wide rim and ss20 on the front. What i'm waffling on is whether skinny or wide rim up front is best taking into consideration handling issues as well on a per athlete basis.

Nobody has shown publicly, data based evidence that rim width changes crr, on road or otherwise.

If you are using a 20mm front tire though and hope for low yaw aero improvements, I imagine you would want to pair it with a narrow rim.

James haycraft saw no aero improvement from the ss20 on a HED Jet

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply

Prev Next