Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Are Disc's really Faster?!?
Quote | Reply
Everyone says "Disc is the fastest" or "Always use a disc". So this past month I purchased a brand new Zipp Super Carbon Clincher. Yesterday I took it to Verona and rode two loops of the IM WI course. The first 40mile loop I used my standard race wheel set. Bontrager Aleous D7 Front and D9 back. Both with the Bontrager R4 Aero tires about 115psi. After the first loop I switched to the disc. I used the exact same cassette and the disc was pre mounted with another Bontrager R4 Aero tire and I pumped it up before I left to 115psi. My bike is the new Speed Concept 9 - Not sure that matters in the discussion, but thought I'd mention its a dedicated Triathlon bike.

My overall time was within 20seconds of each lap. The second lap with the D9 was 20seconds faster. So I'd say it was the same or close enough.As the ride progressed it got steadily windier out, from the South. The radio said 10-15 with gusts as high as 25. I'm not sure it was that high, but it was definitely windier then second time out.

Using the Garmin Vector Peddles and the Fenix3 watch here is the break down in 10mile Auto Lap segments. I've used Training Peaks to do the data analysis.

• I think the higher heart rate over the second lap was because of the temperature increasing as well as some cardio drift. So I can't say I was really working harder to maintain the same avg pace the second time out. But what does everyone think?

Lap 1

Lap 2

Lap 3

Lap 4

Time (Disc)

32m 16s

30m 27s

30m 42s

27m 20s

Time D9

33m 26s

29m 20s

30m 9s

27m 26s

Kj Disc

KJ D9

Normalized Power Disc

Normalized Power D9

Avg Power Disc

Avg Power D9

HRT (BPM) Disc

HRT (BPM) D9

Cadence Disc

Cadence D9

Pace Disc

Pace D9

Temp. Disc

Temp. D9

Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [Jimmycool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as you noted, your conditions changed throughout your ride with the wind increasing as the day went on. you are not going to get a good comparison. was same way at my tt yesterday, 100mi from you. the earlier you went the better off you were. my being 98th in line was not so good as it would have been to be 1

we also don't know if you rode in the exact same position at exactly the same time for both laps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well from what I can gather from wonderful formatting numbers on the second lap:

Disc = 209AP/213NP and D9 = 221AP/229

Hmmmmmmmmm. Rode the same? I do not think so.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single Bong?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to say the same thing. Riding the D9 with ~10-15 more Watts will defiantly show the D9 to be faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, more like hack a lung. :) allergies last week became chest infestation Saturday afternoon. all I can do is cough now and try and recover over next 2 weeks, or 4. looks like more softball coaching and less riding for a bit
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh....struggling with allergies, too, but not that bad!

Was gonna do the Single Bong, but too much yard work was on the schedule so had to bail. At least it was warm this year!!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "sailing effect" of a wind coming in from the side at just the right angle with a disc can be significant. You can actually feel the bike surging and you are not putting in more power!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you went slightly faster, in higher wind, with lower watts when using the disc. Sounds like a win to me.

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the formatting issue with the numbers. It looked good this morning on my desktop.

But to correctly state the AvgPower and Normalized Power values over the entire loop:
Disc: NP 224w and Avg P 218w
D9:NP 229w and Avg P 223w

A 5 watt spread over 4 hrs is pretty close. Assume I was in the aero position for most of the ride as well. Of course there are going to be some differences out there, but its not like I rode sitting up with D9 and aero with the disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In case some formatting helps...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking to see a bigger effect for your $2500 purchase? The thing is you probably wont. You are looking at roughly a minute or 2 and 5 watts saving in windier conditions. Versus the wheel you are comparing thats about the extend of it. Its VERY condition dependent as you can see with your splits of the Verona course. overall you *should* come out ahead with the disc, but its probably slight with all things else being equal.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. At least I look fast. That's half the battle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I played around with Best Bike Split after Ironman WI. Switching between disc and 90mm, if I recall, was less than 1 minute on that course. The biggest difference was switching between butyl and latex tubes. Latex tubes would have gained 7 minutes! Wish I would have played around with it before I actually did the race because I ran butyl. Maybe because of all the hills aero has a bit less of an effect??
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been seeing the same thing on BBS with my model for IMTX. I'm actually faster by 3 minutes with front/rear wide 90s and latex than with a 90 front and disc (which I used last year). Very different course from IMWI, so this is kind of mind-boggling based on the 'disc-is-always-faster' adage. Depending on certain choices it may not be always faster and is very dependent on tire/tube, wheel width choices and conditions. As a rule of thumb with all things maximized then yes a disc is, but it might be close enough that in triathlon its not a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends, under the ideal head/tail wind condition, the difference between disk and deep wheel is not that much.
But IRL this condition will not really happen a lot. So yaw involves. And yes under side wind condition disk has a big advantage on normal deep wheel. When air goes through the spokes and hollow part of wheel turbulence occurs. Therefore drags you.
Your power data explained good, disk saved your watts. At most of time.
Also data shown that disk cover performs even better than normal disk wheels. But it's UCI illegal, not sure about Ironman. It's a better solution than $2500 purchase under certain circumstance
Last edited by: wzlsimon: May 4, 15 17:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember hearing from a bike shop once that terrain matters when it comes to the disc ... i.e. a pancake flat course (aka more consistent speed) v. a lot of climbing & descending (aka speeding up and slowing down more). Any thoughts on that?
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [SBRTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRTri wrote:
Remember hearing from a bike shop once that terrain matters when it comes to the disc ... i.e. a pancake flat course (aka more consistent speed) v. a lot of climbing & descending (aka speeding up and slowing down more). Any thoughts on that?
Try another bike shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [wzlsimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wzlsimon wrote:
Also data shown that disk cover performs even better than normal disk wheels.

I think that was one test, pitting one wheel cover against one disc wheel. I don't think it can be generalized to state that wheel covers are better than discs as a rule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After using my $90 disc cover for the past 5 years, I can feel a noticeable difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discs are not faster. Suggest two things. You send that D9 to me. I'll dispose of it. And next time we race together you should ride the $200 OEM wheelset the bike came with. They are all the same anyway. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buys most expensive wheel on the market. Runs mediocre tires.

Last edited by: Nick B: May 4, 15 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A disc is your fastest option....no one said it was massively faster than a 90mm rear. However, if you have access to both run the disc.

BTW, good on you for doing the test and sharing the data.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [RandyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
18 mph on 225 watts on a TT bike with a deep front and a disc?

Were you wearing parachute pants?
Quote Reply
Re: Are Disc's really Faster?!? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha true, But I tried bunch of "disk" wheels, one is made by Hed, not the high end ones, I noticed it's basically a normal wheel has spokes covered by two piece of plastic/carbon?
Quote Reply

Prev Next