Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general FYI, I just posted up a brand new pair of Kayenne's on the classifieds forum.

I wanted to like these goggles so bad, they just didn't work for my face. The whole design was so functional and comfortable, but I couldn't solve a leak around my left eye.

In general I have a lot of trouble with goggles (I have pretty deep set eye sockets). I think I'm finally ready to give one of their "swim masks" a shot. Can anybody give me some info on the Seal vs. Seal XP vs. Vista?

AAA Tri Team | Team Sports Bistro
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [ktj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktj wrote:
TimBikeToo wrote:
Can any of the reviewers compare the width of the Kayenne to the Speedo Hydrospex - http://bit.ly/mjhTjB ? Any other info on comparison?

Thanks,
-Tim

I don't have the speed hydrospex so I measured the Kayennes.

The regular fit was 5.5 inches measured from the outside of the gaskets that touch your face. The small fit was a quarter inch less.
I feel like it stretches a bit when on my face.

Yep, the width is nearly the same, it's the size of the lens area that is smaller, with a smaller socket footprint.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received the goggles from Jake at Aquaspere a little later than most and then promptly took a week off from training post Honu. Then I was embarrassed to wear them to the pool because they looked ginormous. But as I told Jake, I would try them in a couple of ocean swims pronto. And I did. And they really weren't as huge as they looked at first. I thought I was trying out the small fit, but later realized they were the normal size ones. So further proof that they really aren't that large.

I'm not a swimmer. I didn't grow up swimming. I started swimming in my early 30s. So I don't have a lot of hard preferences for swimming things. But the more I swim the more I find myself gravitating to the things that real swimmers do/use. I usually swim in either swedes or TYR or what ever kind of goggles happen to end up in my swim bag. I've never been picky. The only goggles that don't fit my face very well are kids goggles and some women's styles. But for the past few years I've been training in swedes and racing in one kind of TYR goggles or another. Most recently the TYR Tracer Ti. I've had some bad luck with mass starts and swedes. Tinted goggles are a must for me. The first thing I noticed about the Kayennes is they are very easy to adjust. I'm pretty sure all Aquaspere goggles are this way. Much easier than TYR or Speedo goggles. You can put them on and tighten them without taking them off. I like this because I tend to get nervous right before swim starts and like to tighten the goggles just a bit. I lost my goggles at the first buoy during Honu about 3 years ago. The rest of the swim was not enjoyable.

My first swim in the Kayenne goggles was in the ocean in pretty clear and calm water. It wasn't a workout, just a 3K swim out to a couple islands and back. The goggles were comfortable and clear. They didn't fog up or leak. The clarity was good enough for me to find a few turtles and lots of fish and a couple eels. I did a couple more ocean swims in them. When I was sighting it was clear and I had no problem finding either the buoys, flags or red roof house I was looking for. Finding buoys is something I usually have a very hard time with. I think the field of view for these goggles helped with that.

They really don't look that big compared to other goggles so I decided to take them to the pool today. I did a dive start to see if they'd stay put and they did better than any other goggle I've worn. (Not that I've done many dive starts or even know how to do one correctly.) I swam 4K and there were no leaks, no fogging, no problems. The tint was good enough for me to do a fair amount of backstroke and not have to squint. So no problems in the pool. I was curious to see if there would be a problem with flip turns like someone mentioned. I didn't have a problem. But my flip turns are pretty pathetic and anything but powerful.

After the swim I rode my bike home 10 miles and showered. I still had goggle marks (I did not ride my bike home wearing the goggles). And despite the amount of sunscreen I put on I had a definite tan line from the wide face of the goggles. With the exception of swedes, I've found most goggles leave goggle marks for about 30+ minutes. And swimming outside year round, the potential for a ski mask tan line is great, so I usually opt for the smaller size goggles, which is why I prefer to train in the swedes.

Do I like the Kayennes? Yes. Will I wear them? I will to race and from time to time to train. For a couple reasons. I can't be bothered with doing anything but tossing my goggles in my swim bag and leaving them there until I swim again. That's why I usually keep a different pair for races. The ones in my swim bag get scratched quite a bit and that leads to fogging. I don't care how fogged up they get in the pool. I'll clean them with shampoo from time to time and can swim forever in one pair of goggles. But for races I get annoyed when the goggles fog up. I'm a terrible open water swimmer, I can't swim straight, nor am I any good at siting. So clear goggles with a wide field of view help me.

I have a tri this weekend, a few open water swim races in the next couple months, and then IMKY the end of August. I'll keep the Kayenne goggles for those events.

I haven't worn the small fit goggles yet, but will try them next week. If they work as well as I think they will I'll wear one pair of the goggles for most of my ocean swim workouts, and the other for races. And I'll probably stick to the swedes in the pool. Mostly because of the tan line issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you will like the small fit better. It's more like a low profile version of the regular.

I too was embarrassed to wear them at the pool because they felt really big.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been waiting for the chance to rave about the Kayennes !
I was chosen to be in the study, got the large and small goggles with the dark tinted lenses. The large fits me and the small fits my wife.
The shape of the goggle - triangular and angled - looked weird out of the box . I'm happy to say I don't see the frame of the lens area at all while wearing them. I have a clear view which I like a lot better than round lenses. I'm in New Orleans and swim outside most of the year; I usually like mirrored lenses because they cut the glare. The Kayennes seem to be polarized and , besides eliminating glare, have a Oakley quality clarity. No leaks so far. The other reviews have mentioned the adjustment button but they haven't done it justice. The button or tab is at the front of the strap and you push it DOWN to adjust the fit. It works a lot better than the buttons on other goggles that push in ( against your head ).
The Kayennes are the only goggle I wear now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in the study....but my girlfriend recently stumbled onto these goggles in Hawaii and she absolutely loves them. She said they are the most comfortable goggles she has found. She recently lost her first pair and immediately ordered another pair. I have yet to try them as I really love my Speedo Vanquisher....although, she used these also before she found the Kayenne and said the Kayenne is heads and shoulders better than her Vanquishers.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Last edited by: Fastyellow: Jun 24, 11 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using them exclusively for about 2 years.

The Good:
- Very comfortable
- Good visibility
- Easy adjustability

The Bad:
- Only get about 2 months before the anti-fog stops working
- Only get about 4 months before they start leaking
- Kind of expensive

The Interesting:
- Fit better with no leaks when worn loose ... tightening them up is a sure way to bring in the water

Long story short, they are so good for a few months that it's worth buying a new pair every quarter.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed out on the initial thread, but I have two pairs that I've been using - clear version. Personally I love the visibility from these goggles. They fit very comfortably on my big head/face. I do get some leakage from time to time for no apparent reason - can't figure it out. I can swim for a few sessions with no leaks, the one session right in the middle they will develop a small leak. Drain and they'll leak again???? My older pair, all of the clear plastic has started to yellow.

Why don't the sell goggles in a 3 or 4 pack at a discount??

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far, solicited and unsolicited. Typically, we like to reserve these specific types of threads for the intended purpose, which is, for those who reviewed the goggles to write their reviews. from here on in, let's limit the posts here to these reviews, and to the questions for the reviewers that readers may have, based on what has been written in the review.

Reposted for the second pagers who don't read the whole thread.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried out the small fit goggles today during a brief ocean swim. Once I got them out of the package I noticed how small they are. I think the packaging the goggles come in make both sizes seem MUCH larger than they are. But the small fit ones were too small for me. I could see the rubber frame and it was sort of annoying. Also when I did a couple dolphin dives the strap flipped over. I seem to remember other Aquasphere goggles doing this in the past. Not a major issue, but I could feel the strap twisted.

The clarity was the same as the large fit and the tinting is great. If it weren't for being able to see the nose section I would probably like them, but having that in my field of view was distracting as I was trying to site a buoy 500M away.

I think if the packaging were smaller a lot more people might consider them because they won't look so large like a mask.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [OpenOptions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The Interesting:

- Fit better with no leaks when worn loose ... tightening them up is a sure way to bring in the water

Michael[/quote]

What I learned from Slowtwitch today...I bet that my Kayennes were too tight and caused my own leakage problem.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Jun 25, 11 21:24
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love mine...vision, fit, comfort.

However, now several months old, do leak until i can get them adjusted just right. Still haven't figured out correct secret...wetting face first, push on bridge over nose. Have learned the too tight thing, and to not pull straps behind ears once on.

Going to try a new pair to see if it is an age thing as they did not leak at all when new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was part of the study.

I tried on both goggles and had assumed that I would go with the smaller version since my face is on the small side (guess not). The small ones felt like they were inside my eye sockets. I tried the larger version on and they fit great. My preschooler tried on the smaller ones, they fit him great, and they have been passed on to him.

The ease of adjustability is awesome. I also love the feel of the rubber they were made out of.

I have tried speedo vanquishers, tyr velocity, barracudas, and aqua sphere seal mask. The speedo, tyr and barracudas all give me raccoon swimming eyes that take about a half hour to go away. I only usually use the aqua sphere seal mask for open water swims and a few races. Never had an issue with them, but they aren't used very often. All of the previous ones ended up getting foggy and leaky after a couple months of use. Also, the straps on the barracudas became extremely stretched out quickly. I don't forsee that happening with the Kayenne's. The rubber just feels much more substantial.

So far I have not had any leaking with the Kayenne's or fogginess. More importantly, I don't even notice I am wearing them. They are super comfortable. I used to have to stop after ever 100 yards or so with my old goggles and empty them out and reseal them, so it's been super nice to be able to swim continuously.

I would definitely recommend them to someone who is in need of swim goggles. They have been amazing for me and my face shape and have become my everyday swim goggle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a member of the study.

I received my pairs of kayenne's the day after I got back from my HIM race at mooseman, I was sick with a fever and had to withdraw and spend the next three days in my bed so its safe to say they didn't get much use the first week. After trying both sets on I found out that the regular pair fit my face a bit better. I've tried speedos, other aquasphere's and a Tyr mask. My thoughts over the last few weeks:

These work much better for my face shape in the water than any mask I've tried. Commonly I'll get an "eddy" of water with a mask and end up with half the pool up my nose. It was nice not to have to deal with that.

The visibility is excellent, in the pool they will fog up unless you get them wet before you put them on. I did not try any anti-fog sprays or anything to that extent.

The seal is great if you take a minute and make sure that they are sitting well on your face. I've had days where I just went for it and found that a little leaked in. Taking them off, readjusting the straps, and usually tightening it helped a great deal.

I wore these in an olympic race I had last sunday and i had my fastest olympic split ever. I didn't feel particularly fast that day, but I did do a much better job sighting than previously. I do not come from a swimming background so visibility was key.

I prefer them to any other pair I own (which is 5 at the moment) and will continue using them.

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [Zev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought two pair (tinted and clear) of (small) kayennes on a locals suggestion and really enjoy the fit.

They do fog for me but I really enjoy the "tight" feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everybody for your feedback and especially for the participants of the review!

As previously mentioned, with our goggles you don't need to pull the straps really tight. When pulled really tight the seal on the socket with flatten out and loose it's great sealing properties. In addition to having a better seal, the goggle lines are less likely to appear when the straps are pulled comfortably tight.

Thank you again to everybody for your participation. A special thanks to Slowman also for facilitating this review! I'm happy to assist with any questions or concerns you may have regarding any Aqua Sphere product.

Swim Fast!

Thanks,

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little late to the Kayenne party but I have been using the goggles mainly for open water swims at least twice per week. The goggles were great. No leaks, great visibility(even with the marine layer we had in SoCal) and ease of use. My GF has been using the small fit goggles in the pool. She had been using another type of goggle before trying the Kayennes. She really liked the fit and ease of use with the goggle. A big thank you to Jake from Kayenne and Slowman for putting this all together. See you guys out at the races!

Todd

Seen on ST: NOTSOSWUYD: None of the secrets of success work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'd like to again thank all the participants of the poll and perhaps offer a little encouragement when it comes to wearing a bigger goggle. If you're worried about looking "dorky" with these goggles at the pool, would you tell Amanda Beard that she looks dorky?

She'll compete in the 200 Breast semi finals at the World Championships in Shanghai later today wearing the Kayenne small fit.

Swim Fast!

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [OpenOptions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know people don't recommend trying out new things on race day, but does a newer pair of goggles count?

I'll test it out in the pool first, but my 6-month-old kayennes have started leaking predictably in my right lens during ows (only a little in the pool)... I never considered the age to be an issue, so i'm gonna go out a buy a new pair for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [AwesomePossum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to try these myself. Problem is, can't find a local dealer who carries these. I do spring triathlon's and have been using the Nike Challenge II recently. They seem to be the only ones that are comfortable and fit well.

I have a fairly small face and most regular swim goggles don't seem to fit very well. I have probably 6-10 pairs of old swim goggles I've tried and none seem to work real well. Plus, these Nike Challenger's seem to only last a season then just get worn out (usually the strap just rips) and I'd really not like to have a pair break in the middle of a race.

I did just ordered the Kaiman Small-fit so we'll see how those work. I couldn't find the Kayenne "small" fit listed anywhere online.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the smoke lenses. These goggles are the best ones I have had so far. I have not had issues with leakage at all and they are the most comfortable fit. The lenses are larger so they seal around the eyes and not so much on my eyes. All the other goggles I have had feel like I am wearing kids goggles even though they are adult. I will stick with these from now on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best leak free goggles i have ever used.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:

As previously mentioned, with our goggles you don't need to pull the straps really tight. When pulled really tight the seal on the socket with flatten out and loose it's great sealing properties. In addition to having a better seal, the goggle lines are less likely to appear when the straps are pulled comfortably tight.

This is really a valuable piece of information, I have been so disappointed with my Kayennes. I have used 2 pairs of seals in the past, many years ago, and then regular Malmsten goggles. Seal and Malmsten Optimals are basically the only ones that have ever fit my face. Kayenne felt OK when buying them but now I am definitely going to try out a looser strap. I hope it helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not part of the study, but I bought a pair with clear lenses as it seemed a great option for racing and training in the evenings/dark pools.

Although very comfortable, it is extremely blurry, to the point I cannot see the splits on my watch under the water. Could be the shape of my face but I have adjusted it in several ways and it just doesn't work for me.

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got the White ones with smoke lens. Really lime them - bottom line is that they do not leak. That is the overriding thing.

Two downsides:
1. more blurry than other goggles
2. As 'TXMPgirl' says they can lift when you have your head down and are pushing off from the end of the pool. This is annoying as it stops you getting as hydrodynamic as possible for a few seconds as you cannot have your head right down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next