Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aqua Running
Quote | Reply
This winter I had hopped to focus on my running which is in deperate need of improvement. Unfortunately lower leg injuries have missed up my plans somewhat.

I am currently running 3x1hr times a week on grass around the farm and things are going ok (still have some soreness/inflamation post exercise) but I am worried if I push my volume or frequency up much more I will get another setback.

I have been recommended to try aqua running - any tips, sessions greatfully recieved. If it helps I am currently running on Weds/Fri/Sun and plan to do the aqua session before swim session to limit time lost travelling etc = Tue/Weds(will effectively mean 2 runs on Wed)/Thurs and possibly fridays (again would mean 2 runs).

I presume you can aqua at intensities run as you would normally run? I was planning on gradually including these sessions which will probably be about 30mins in length most days - 30mins is about the max time I will have on Wedsnesdays.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Running [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a pretty good aqua running program that will maintain your fitness:

http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pfitzinger's article pretty much says it all. You can really train your ass off in the water if you put your mind to it. I'm in the middle of a two week break and already my shins feel 100% better. I took off 6 weeks last summer and lost almost no fitness.

Good luck!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Running [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats for the info, the belt arived last week. I just did a couple of steady 30min sessions just as a dry run so to speak. It felt a bit strange, I just pulled the feet straight up rather than use a more cycling motion which I presume is ok. I was told to consentrate on flexing the foot so that toes are pulled towards the shin.

Do people use there HR monitors in the pool?

Hope to try some intervals next week, providing the sniffles I have at the moment don't turn into anything worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not been able to run since my crash at IM CA - 15 months ago and running in the pool is my only running - My wife bought me an Otterbox which is waterproof and waterproof earphones for my Ipod. it keeps me sane going up and down the lanes.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, boring, and you look stupid and you get lots of funny looks. But, it is better than nothing. I know I did aqua running for 3 weeks after my masters swimming when I had my foot issue. Wish I would have had some headphones, but 30 minutes really is not that long. :o(

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep experimenting and you'll get the hang of it. The problem that most people have is that they really don't push themselves while doing it. I point my toes toward the bottom (as per Doug Stern's instructions) but will flex the foot during the swing phase. I will also do segments of focused high knee lift and segments of focused butt kickers. I'll also do an over exagerated stride occasionaly where I try to drive the knee with one leg while pulling through really hard with the other, then back to the other leg.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone posted the Pfiztinger water running workouts... those are good. It is a great workout - and you'll keep your running fitness.

They make floatation belts for water running that you can, but don't have to use. I don't like them, my running friends do.

Good luck, have fun...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to ask about doing drills - but you have already answer it :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving a VERY old thread...

also dealing with a nagging lower leg injury and want to get through my final/"B" race of the season in mid-September before shutting it down for real rest/recovery. I had very good success/improvement following the BarryP training method and had some questions about aqua running:
1) the pool I use does not get very deep. Only about the 5-7 yards are deep enough for me to not touch the bottom when using a belt. Has anyone ever tethered themselves to stay in one space? Does this work? Are there problems? Is it better to run with feet touching the ground?
2) The link earlier in the thread doesn't work any more. Does anyone know where to find that article?
3) I've found some good articles on why aquarunning is good and some suggested sets, but nothing on actual technique to focus on. What specifically should I be thinking about as far as form when aquarunning?
4) Is it better to incorporate a BarryP type approach (6-7 days a week at 3-2-1 durations) or more interval sets as some articles prescribe?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're actually better served just gradually increasing your land running. If you're already strong enough to tolerate 3 x 1hr per week, you can ramp up slowly to your desired training volume, and I suspect it'll be more effective than even aqua running, as you'll be gaining the crucial injury resistance for the training load to REALLY sustain long and hard run training.

The aquarunning is solid for run fitness, but if you don't have the impact resistance, you'll never be able to be truly good runner, since that's the main limiter in training. The pro runners who do well with a phase of aquarunning built up that impact resistance previously through tons of miles on land.

If injuries are your limiter, but you're managing 3 x 1hr per week, I think you should focus on building that impact resistance and GRADUALLY increase the run volume, def stick to the <10% per week volume increase rule. I'm pretty sure that will yield a lot more for you than aquarunning.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Running [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pete's article and program is here: http://kemibe.com/...breports/water.shtml

I too have been investigating aqua running recently as I fractured C6/7 in my neck from a bike accident and am in neck brace for the next few months. Doc gave me the clearance to start aqua jogging so I started yesterday.

If you are using the aqua belt you need water 6' deep or so. You will be submerged to your neck. I am using my home pool (18'x36') and really only half of that is deep enough to jog. I had no problem just going in a circle. If you can go directly into a jet, you might not have to move much at all.

Good luck!
Last edited by: godaddygo: Jul 29, 14 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Running [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Actually the link you provided was for the training schedule, but it allowed me to also find the article. For others interested, here's the link to the article:
http://kemibe.com/...breports/water.shtml
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My marathon PR is off zero running outside of a pool. I did 100% of my prep in a deep water therapy pool - heated to 86-89 F.

I use an X1 Audio device to listen to music, podcasts or talk to people on the phone during sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Running [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reassurance and congrats on the marathon. During your training, would you workout for equivalent time in the water to what you would have run outside (ie. if I was to run 4 miles today per my training plan and for this type of run I usually average about 8 min/mile, instead I'll aquarun for 32 minutes)? If not, is there any reasonable conversion to distance or time? Thanks.
Quote Reply