Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
April Fish! Swim Challenge
Quote | Reply
Happy April. The challenge of swim 4x a week seems to be working - have at it.

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 mi run w/ 2.6 mi @ 7:14 pace, a couple tenths easy, then 1 mi 7:09
2000 yd swim at the Albany, OR ymca

500 swim + 100 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30 + 100 kick
500 swim + 100 kick
200 swim

then goofed around in the "channel", a sort of figure 8 with a fun current. Unfortunately the water slide was not open. The pools were warm but the channel was neat :-) really nice facility - it's almost brand new.

disclaimer: I am a PhD, not a medical doctor. The closest I get to surgery is topology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had goofy end-of-month swims, just floating and bobbing, more-or-less with the pod in the ocean. Many Portage passings and a visit to the Giggle Crack - a one entrance crack where the wash slosh in and out of. It's much like, I think, being in a washing machine.We stuffed 3 of us in there. I think we could fit ten in there, but someone is gonna get banged up on the rocks, then. So much fun!

So, this April One, surprisingly returned me to more serious swimming. Although I didn't really push as I have a swim meet tomorrow (1650). But, I got in 3527 yards in 40 minutes at Shaw's.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...3454&oe=599181FF

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...5038&oe=59996BB6

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim Meet today at UCLA SCY

1650 20:09.23 1st place and 3rd in nation
200 free 2:09.67 1st place and 15th in nation
200 breast 2:42.63 1st place and 7th in nation

I bagged out of the 200 IM which would have come up too close to the 1650.
Some warm-up and cool down for about 2500 yards.

Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great times, congrats!

3500 SCM this morning

300 choice
6x50 descend 1-3, 4-6
3x200 pull
4 x (
100 IM - 30s RI
4x25 fly fast - 30s RI
100 ez
4x50 free fast - 30s RI)
300 cd
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2800 at masters last night.

main set was 3x(5x50) on 1:05 - plenty of rest, doing it as
3x(
fast breakout and first 3 strokes
fast in and out of turn
fast finish
distance per stroke
focus on breathing pattern.
)

coach noticed that my wicked crossover on my right arm is back, so I worked on that for a while.

DPS I could only get down to 15 strokes per length. When I was in better shape I was easily at 11 strokes, if I wanted. need to get fitter...

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome!

yesterday 5 mi easy run, 6 mi bike
today 11 mi run, 1200 yd swim

500 swim
100 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This came up on my facebook feed:

https://www.facebook.com/...sts/1448868325180533

Since this is a tri forum, I was thinking that a challenge might be a half IM leg worth of IM without stopping.....so basically

9 times 200 IM and then one 100 IM

The advanced version would be an Ironman leg worth.

so 19x200m IM

Who wants to try that?

I will start tomorrow with 1000m of that. Should be a lot easier than 1000m of 50 fly-50 free that i did last week. I actually suck at breast and back so this might be someething to focus on this month and then at the end of the month try the 1000m TT 50fly/50Free again and try to take it under 18

Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking to Zach Ruble after the 2007 Ironman Wisconsin and we were talking about over the top workouts. He mentioned that he had done a 4,000 IM! The 12,000 IM which is mentioned in that link, now that is a HUGE set!!

As far as the 2 sets you mentioned, for those of us swimming SCY, would 10 x 200 + 100 for the half iron set and 21 x 200 for the iron set be a fair conversion? I know in the yard pools there are more turns so it will always be apples and oranges. Approximately how much rest should we be including in our sendoffs?
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
Approximately how much rest should we be including in our sendoffs?

This is a Dev super challenge! We don't get any rest or sendoffs, it's just swim and survive :-D
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
kbd wrote:

This is a Dev super challenge! We don't get any rest or sendoffs, it's just swim and survive :-D

LOL my breast is so bad, that I can't work "hard enough" to warrant rest, so I guess it is continuous for me since that leg works out to 50m of rest!!!! I think KBD's conversions are good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
kbd wrote:

LOL my breast is so bad, that I can't work "hard enough" to warrant rest, so I guess it is continuous for me since that leg works out to 50m of rest!!!! I think KBD's conversions are good!

Same here Dev! As of tomorrow I get to swim in an outside, heated, stainless steal, 50m pool - should make the 50/50 interesting! Btw I did 100m 50/50 and my time was 1.29. This makes me think I should easily be able to do 6.40 for 400m by the end of the month, with each 100m being 1.40. What do think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
kbd wrote:

Same here Dev! As of tomorrow I get to swim in an outside, heated, stainless steal, 50m pool - should make the 50/50 interesting! Btw I did 100m 50/50 and my time was 1.29. This makes me think I should easily be able to do 6.40 for 400m by the end of the month, with each 100m being 1.40. What do think?

6:40 seems to be in your range. I say go for it. If I were you, I'd frequently add one set of 400m continuous at a moderate pace (you know I would say that), and take the free "hard" (which is your strength anyway), and figure out how to recover on the butterfly leg (which is your old strength, so this will basically force you to enter each fly leg full of lactate and then clear the lactate during the fly to go hard in the free). We used to do something like this cross country skiing, where you actually recovered on the first part of the climb when everyone was attacking, sit in and draft and let them burn matches, and then just before the top, when everyone is rubber you go on the attack and break the guys who are bogged down in lactate. I THINK if you can hold a good pace on the fly and manage to clear lactate, then you can make up a lot of time on the free. I believe this is the best way to go fast on this. There is just so much resistance in the fly leg, that incremental effort does not buy a ton of speed. Whereas in free, incremental effort can add a lot more speed. In IM you can have the back and/or breast leg to clear some lactate before the free leg and attack that. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick 1300 SCM lunch swim with a bunch of sprint 25s, some fly, some free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run: 2.6 mi @ 8:00 pace, .4 easy, 3.1 mi @ 7:53 pace
1500 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick
5 x 150 on 2:15
100 kick
50 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you are right Dev I should be incorporating this into my swimming. I'll give the "recovery fly" 50 a go and report back, I just can't imagine doing this and keeping good form. What I did notice when I did the 100 is that I have more power in my arms than I thought I had and I need to concentrate on my catch more and tucking my head down quicker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Yes you are right Dev I should be incorporating this into my swimming. I'll give the "recovery fly" 50 a go and report back, I just can't imagine doing this and keeping good form. What I did notice when I did the 100 is that I have more power in my arms than I thought I had and I need to concentrate on my catch more and tucking my head down quicker.

In today's 60 min swim, the main set was 1000m modified IM, 100m kick, 500m fly-free 50/50

The 1000m was 5x(50fly-50back-100 free). For whatever reason breast was bothering my collar bone, during my warmup so I decided to not push it. I THINK doing some breast on Sunday with large paddles I may have tweaked something. I was pain free on the other strokes. This was an experiment to see if I can get to 1900m of IM. Assuming I did nothing bad, it should be possible. The 500m fly-free, I took the fly steady moderate and the free, really hard. That was interesting. What I found was that if I slowed down the fly cadence and as you said, "tucked my head and dove in" and "rode the wave" then I could clear some lactate. I did not time any of this mainly because I am an idiot when the clock turns on and I go harder than I need to/want to whenever there is a number staring at me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a lot of work!
I only did another open water swim this morning. 2785 yards in 38 minutes. 60 degree water and wetsuit (I'm the wimpy one as the others go just skin.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'm finally up to this volume so I'm in!

1st 2600m
Main: 10x100, 4x200

2nd am 1650m
Main: 1x 1500

2nd pm 2700m
Main: 1x 2000m

4th 3100m
Main: 7x200, 7x 100

I'm in the sea most of next week - any tips for adapting threshold/speed interval sessions for swimming from the beach?
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [Tin pot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm in the sea most of next week - any tips for adapting threshold/speed interval sessions for swimming from the beach?

You can do intervals by time if you have a watch that will beep... e.g. 4 x 2.5 minutes fast would be a set of 200s for me.
If there are some rocks or other landmarks, you can do repeats of Point A to Point B.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of work!
I only did another open water swim this morning. 2785 yards in 38 minutes. 60 degree water and wetsuit (I'm the wimpy one as the others go just skin.)

Hopefully your fingers were not frozen after the swim and you did not flat riding home like Frodo in Oceanside!
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [Tin pot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either a watch or going by stroke count. For me, I'd count roughly 17 strokes as a 25.

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3800 SCM this morning
300 wu
6x50 descend 1-3, 4-6
200 kick
8 x (
100 IM
100 ez
2 x 50 (odd times through fly, evens free)
)
600 cd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone want to give a critique of my fly from a meet two weekends ago? I'm in lane 4 (lane 1 is closest to the camera) with the white cap. I see a couple of big differences comparing myself to Josh in lane 3 but I'd be curious to hear others. I'm not sure if the high angle is very good for analysis but it's what I've got.

Last edited by: Zenmaster28: Apr 5, 17 5:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good race. Josh is certainly a beast....

You were pretty quick, there ain't much to critique.

I'd like to see you not lift your head quite so much, keep your neck straighter.

In a 50, no need to breathe so often.

Looks like the kick timing is slightly disconnected from the arms, maybe? I'm not sure about that one. I've watched a few times, sometimes I think I see it, sometimes I don't. It's minor, anyway.

I don't think you are getting quite enough knee bend on the kick.

Looks like you are dropping your elbows on the pull.

Also, compare where josh's exit point is compared to yours.

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 5, 17 6:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next