Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an interesting set this morning. I was tired of 25x100 type stuff so I asked my coach to change it up. I've been sick of late and apparently have no lung capacity. After an 800m warmup he had me do

4x200
1st 50 - breathe every 5th stroke
2nd 50 - every 4th
3rd - every 3rd
4th - every other

I also had windsprints

8x50
1st 25 - Sprint without breathing (never made it, though my pace dropped to 1:19/100 from my normal 1:38...can you tell I lift my head and sink my legs to breathe?!)
2nd 25 - easy swim

Overall I had a lot of fun, even though I suck at breathing. You'd think I'd be better at something I had been practicing for 38 years!
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run w/ 1+ mi @ 8:00, 2+ mi @ 7:53, and just shy of 4 mi @ 7:41
600 yd swim. Today's excuse: hips fine, but developed a muscle knot in my back during the run.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am "out" in terms of getting to the full half Ironman "distance" swim of IM (10x200IM non stop) this month. I had a cortisone injection in my L5-S1 epidural cavity to try to get me over a hump in terms of the nerves feeding my lower leg. Doc asked me to not do much until Sunday and easy back in.....2000m of IM on Sunday would not count as "easing back in" so I have to save this for May!
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.6 mi 60:03
700 yd swim (that's what I had time for!)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you often do a lot of shorter sets? I am getting to the point where I swim 3x per week consistently but struggle with more than that as I don't have time. I hadn't really thought of a 20-30 workout as being worthwhile...I might need to rethink that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at US Masters SCY Spring Nationals in Riverside, Ca. A four day meet with over 2000 swimmers from all over. I'm not getting much yardage in, of course, except Thursday where I swam both the 1650 and 1000. I placed 5th in both with times, 19:55 & 11:53. Friday morning had me in the 500 where I placed 7th in 5:46 (felt like I could do better). Later on, I competed in the 100 breast with a 1:14 & only 14th place. They have points and medals through 10th. Saturday, I sat around for a long time waiting for the 200 breast where I placed 7th with a 2:38. It's becoming apparent I don't practice sprinting enough. I was also in two relays; medley- 50 breast in 33.4 & 50 free in 27.59. I think we placed in one of them. Today I only have the 200 free, much later in the day. I'll try to get 2000 in warm up when the pool opens, but it gets crowded fast.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Do you often do a lot of shorter sets? I am getting to the point where I swim 3x per week consistently but struggle with more than that as I don't have time. I hadn't really thought of a 20-30 workout as being worthwhile...I might need to rethink that.

20 min workout in any sport is worthwhile. 5 min warmup, 15 min super hard....done! How about 2x400m as hard as you can go with 100m of hard kick in between. Definitely worthwhile. If you can run on ride to the pool, then no warmup needed and then as soon as you are done your "swim leg", get back on the bike or run and immediately launch into a hammerfest for your return home. I used to do a lot of run-swim-run and bike-swim-bike workouts where leg 1 is warmup, leg 2 in the water is super hard, leg 3 going home is a TT and final 5 min before reaching home is unwind. Great 'specific' training for any triathlon distance
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done halfspeed!

Good luck today

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I am a firm believer in frequency over duration, particularly in swimming because feel for the water is so important. That said, I usually swim more than 700 yards :-) This past week I was babying my back, and I hadn't swum the week before. On some days I am just time-crunched. Also, I have an extensive swim background, which means I can get away with very little swimming and still be a FOP tri swimmer. Your results may (and likely will) vary. If I have 20 minutes to swim, I'm going to warm up and either sprint some 100s or 200s; do a couple of very fast 300s; or maybe a fast 100 and then a fast 500.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice job HS!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5000 LCM in a lane all to myself. Bliss.

100 w/u
20 x 100 on 1:45
100 kick
10 x [100 fast + 100 kick] 1:24, 1:24, 1:24, 1:24, 1:26, 1:25, 1:26, 1:25, 1:27, 1:27
100 kick
5 x 100 mix of kick, free, sidestroke :-)
200 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, lots of fast performances! You guys are an imposter. I feel like a complete poser posting on these threads, but you guys are very helpful in coaching me along!

I got in the water for an easy 40 minutes today. Doc said no overdoing it like 4 hour rides till day 4 since I had the cortisone injection. Today is day 3, so tomorrow is day 4 and I can start building back up....of course 4 hour ride would be awesome at some point, but till then, glad to spend more time in the pool
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should see the guys kicking my ass in my age group. I just finished the 200 free in a new pr of 2:07.12. Good for 8th place. First was a 1:52.57!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What AG are you in now?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
You should see the guys kicking my ass in my age group. I just finished the 200 free in a new pr of 2:07.12. Good for 8th place. First was a 1:52.57!

The way things are going I can barely shuffle out 200m in 2 minutes on land!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve is 61 or 62 I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw on Facebook that Nathan Adrian was there swimming 100 fly. :-)

And lochte dropped a 47.7 100IM!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 30, 17 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job at the meet there steve, checked out your times and they were great. Probably if the 500 were first it would have gone better, but still very respectable for an old man!! I checked the events I usually swim, I think I need to get in shape for next year. Some of my recent history workout times would get me top 5!!

And how humbling it must be for Lochte to not even win every event he entered, and missed several records even in the ones he did!

Well done....
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking through the results, some fast swims there. I see that Nats are at IU next year, I could conceivably make that trip, since my sister lives there.

As for Lochte, well, Lochte only got beat in the 100 breast by a pretty decent breaststroker - Olympian (bulgaria) and former US record holder Mike Alexandrov, and he missed Matt Grevers' records in the backstroke events. Not sure how much he's training right now, could be on a post Olympic down cycle especially coming off the suspension. Nice to see that TYR has picked him up.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next