Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM
Quote | Reply
This is my first year with a power meter. What is an appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe full IM? My targets right now are 74% NP, 69% AP with a resulting 1.07 VI; does this seem about right? Also 84% of FTP HR.
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [lrothey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I just went and did it and just enjoyed the ride.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Yeah but tell him about all the time you spent agonizing over your gearing months before the race and then the hundreds of times you rode the course hills on your Velotrons before you enjoyed the ride except for the 8 times you had to stop and urinate due to over hydration;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Apr 21, 15 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lrothey wrote:
This is my first year with a power meter. What is an appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe full IM? My targets right now are 74% NP, 69% AP with a resulting 1.07 VI; does this seem about right? Also 84% of FTP HR.

Sounds like a reasonable initial concept to work from. How about running your data though Best Bike Split so see what it comes up with. By the way, rather than express your NP and AP as percentages one uses the term intensity factor, abbreviated IF. So 74% of FTP is expressed as an IF of .74.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Yeah but tell him about all the time you spent agonizing over your gearing months before the race and then the hundreds of times you rode the course hills on your Velotrons before you enjoyed the ride except for the 8 times you had to stop and urinate due to over hydration;)

Hugh

I knew my gearing from the start and stay with it, 50/34 11/32. I rode the course a few times on the velotron. And I drank no water which having to stop 8 times to pee was really weird. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Hugh

I knew my gearing from the start and stay with it, 50/34 11/32. I rode the course a few times on the velotron. And I drank no water which having to stop 8 times to pee was really weird. :)

I think the moral of the story is that you post useless crap. The answer to the question was not some pointless comment about just having fun on the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lrothey wrote:

What VI you should ride and what you *can* ride in Tahoe might be different things. It depends on your watts/kg and your gearing.
Last edited by: spudone: Apr 21, 15 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot about Dave wondering whether to put a big plastic flower to mark his bike in the racks. That one went on facebook. No, Dave just went and did the race. I hear he enjoyed it.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.bestbikesplit.com

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does gearing matter for AP or NP? I wasn't aware that played into the calculation at all
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really curious about the course itself and how that plays into VI. If a flat course should be 1.04(?) what is Tahoe with 8,000 +- feet of climbing?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lrothey wrote:
I'm really curious about the course itself and how that plays into VI. If a flat course should be 1.04(?) what is Tahoe with 8,000 +- feet of climbing?
In Reply To:

On a flat course one would be aiming for a VI a good bit less than 1.04 ........more like 1.01 to 1.02ish. Remember, Ap gets you down the road while NP fatigues you. A higher VI will likely give you a faster bike split on a hillier course because it cuts down on the time you spend going super slowly up the hills.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Why does gearing matter for AP or NP? I wasn't aware that played into the calculation at all

In theory, it doesn't.

The practical reason that gearing can affect VI is that you may find yourself overgeared on a hill and be unable to keep your Watts low enough. Thus increasing NP relative to AP.

But in essence you're correct.
Last edited by: Liaman: Apr 22, 15 2:58
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
www.bestbikesplit.com

Does anyone have a .gpx or BBS course for the 2015 course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your targets came from? You should always try and and keep VI below 1.05. It might be harder to achieve on a hilly course but it can be done and you should really be aiming for that.

It looks to me like you are focusing too much on numbers. Use the PM to keep you in control, steady on the uphills without going over your limits and keep you pushing on the downhills and flats.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lrothey wrote:

The appropriate VI for *EVERY* Ironman is 1.05 or less.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advise all. I'll need to get different gearing for Tahoe then...36-25 is probably not going to allow me to keep the watts in check and keep a VI of 1.05.
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there not a certified one uploaded on there already?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Is there not a certified one uploaded on there already?

It appears that one is for the 2014 course. If I understand the chatter correctly, they've removed one climb from each loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
email ryan at BBS, he'll have one up relatively quickly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On it :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate VI for Lake Tahoe IM [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posted up a preliminary course. It's a little tricky as there is a nice little bike trail section. The course still appears to be short, but I'll update again if I get some better info. They definitely took the smaller climb out on each loop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and there you have it :)

Quote Reply