Appolo Ohno to do Kona??
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He would probably be amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't most, maybe all, speed skaters really strong cyclists as well? I'm pretty sure that's a major piece of their training. I would guess if he put the time in like Hines did he would obliterate both of the celebrity times from this past year.
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
appolo vs beckham. who wins?
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard one there. I would say that Beckham MAY have more slow twitch muscle fiber than Appolo. It would be interesting. You'd expect that Beckham should have a leg up on the run and Appolo on the bike. Could be exciting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be a real test for him. I think its' a reasonable assumption that he's more of a fasttwitch muscle kind of guy. But it would be cool to see how he could do. I wonder how good of a runner and swimmer he is?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apolo Ohno was featured in the "I'm A Runner" section of Runner's World a few years ago and he apparently likes to run all the time. Not sure if he is good, but just that it is a passion of his and a way to cross train. Beckham will be busy doing underwear ads and hanging with the Spice Girls, so my money is on Ohno.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quadlt250 wrote:
appolo vs beckham. who wins?

My money would be on Becks all the way. Even though there is a lot of interval type exertion in soccer, soccer players have a lot more ST muscle than short track speed skaters. 90 minute games versus 90 second races.

Also, just for reference, Ohno ran the 2011 NY Marathon in 3:25. So he'd put down a decent time, but probably in the middle of the Kona field.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Last edited by: raflopez: Feb 22, 14 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going with Beckham, he will be just as good on the bike as Ohno and a much better runner IMO...

As great as Apollo vs. David would be, I don't think it will surpass Apollo vs. Rocky.... JMHO
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo was a very good age group swimmer. It will be interesting to see what he can put together.

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apolo used to absolutely hammer up the Manitou Incline in under 18-19 minutes. No way would I bet against that guy. He's the real deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohno is 31. Beckham is 38. I know that IM athletes do very well in their late 30s, but I think Ohno might be fresher physically and mentally to do the training, assuming he has the $$/sponsors to train full-time and get the best equipment and coaching.
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are we saying that here's a world class athlete already that has a swimming background, is a solid cyclist and might even be a pretty good runner. Forget just doing well, at 31, might be a perfect time to start a new career.

I think Kona might be a nice place to start in terms of sponsorship and marketing, but he might be better at shorter distances. Hard to say. Best of luck to him. He's be a great addition to the sport. He's always seemed like a real stand-up guy, lively character that's good for any sport.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
So are we saying that here's a world class athlete already that has a swimming background, is a solid cyclist and might even be a pretty good runner. Forget just doing well, at 31, might be a perfect time to start a new career.

I think Kona might be a nice place to start in terms of sponsorship and marketing, but he might be better at shorter distances. Hard to say. Best of luck to him. He's be a great addition to the sport. He's always seemed like a real stand-up guy, lively character that's good for any sport.

My thought is that he can be a solid age grouper. At 5'8" and 145 lbs, he is too small to be a fast pro. Look at the ST top 15 bike and run from Kona...all 5'10" to 6'2" and around 160-165 lbs.

Dev
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Ty [ In reply to ]
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig is 5'10". Each inch matters for top line FTP. You already knew that... and top line FTP matters in Kona. There is a balance between top line FTP and weight for the run, and Craig is in the sweet spot. Apollo is way under because he only weighs 145 lbs. He would not be able to generate enough top line watts to be competitive in Kona (maybe he would be at IM France like Zamora but not Kona). There is a reason he was a short track speed skater and not a long track guy. Apollo was too small to be a long track speed skater (again, not enough top line watts...same deal as racing in Kona). He'd need to be freak like Greg Welch but Apollo's already a fast twitch freak so the likelihood of being both a fast twitch and slow twitch freak are pretty low (generally its not in the same person simultaneously).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [raflopez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My money would be on Becks all the way.//

I will take all you Beckham fans action. I used to bike race against another speed skater, and he went on to win the richest one day bike race in history, the 168 mile US pro championships. He was also top 2 or 3 in the nation in the kilo. Speed skaters can ride, and ride long too. And it appears that Ohno does not have to learn how to swim, and running sub 8's for a marathon off the cuff is not too shabby either. He will mop the floor with Beckham, unless of course he has terminal heat stroke like i do..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo should be good in he heat as he is pretty small. I live the "speed skater" you used to race against. That guy won 5 Gold Medals at the Lake Placid Olympics and raced in the Giro too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget Ohno ran a 3:25 at the NY marathon in 2011. Pretty darn strong for a short-track skater. My money goes on him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Apollo should be good in he heat as he is pretty small. I live the "speed skater" you used to race against. That guy won 5 Gold Medals at the Lake Placid Olympics and raced in the Giro too.

And some little race in France....but I don't think he finished, IIRC.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Craig is 5'10". Each inch matters for top line FTP. You already knew that... and top line FTP matters in Kona. There is a balance between top line FTP and weight for the run, and Craig is in the sweet spot. Apollo is way under because he only weighs 145 lbs. He would not be able to generate enough top line watts to be competitive in Kona (maybe he would be at IM France like Zamora but not Kona). There is a reason he was a short track speed skater and not a long track guy. Apollo was too small to be a long track speed skater (again, not enough top line watts...same deal as racing in Kona). He'd need to be freak like Greg Welch but Apollo's already a fast twitch freak so the likelihood of being both a fast twitch and slow twitch freak are pretty low (generally its not in the same person simultaneously).

Dev

Wiggins started his career with 1k track racing and then moved up to 3k pursuits, which take less than 4 minutes. Ohno has multiple world championship medals in the 3000 meter, which he has a personal best of around 4.5 minutes. With a modest amount of training, he could potentially be an exceptional triathlete. Ohno was the Washington State, state champion breaststroker at age 12, along with being a very accomplished backstroker holding his teams age group records. He started swimming competitively at age 6. Here's a vid of him swimming. He probably could do a sub 60 min IM swim without too much trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u87VZzR-58A
Last edited by: mcycle: Feb 22, 14 19:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Ohno is racing then we need to get Stephen Bradbury in the race too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAADWfJO2qM

Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

Where did we determine that Ohno was a swimmer and solid cyclist. Serious question, I didn't see that anywhere.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Appolo Ohno to do Kona?? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Where did we determine that Ohno was a swimmer and solid cyclist. Serious question, I didn't see that anywhere.

Most top level skaters cross train cycling. It would be shocking if he can't become a very strong cyclist. There' was a reference above to him racing up a well known climb I believe. However, at his size, he'd have to become a very good runner, it's not surprising that breastroke was his strength. Being shorter isn't; a disadvantage on that stroke as it is on back, fly or free. So the question in my mind is, how good of a runner can he become?

Swimming was referenced in Post #10.

Also there's wiki....
"
When Ohno was very young, his father meticulously researched childcare providers to care for his son during his long work hours.[16] As he grew older, his father became concerned his son would become a latchkey kid, so he got his son involved with competitive swimming and quad-speed roller skating at age 6. He later switched from the instruction of Benton Redford, a National Champion, to a team in Federal Way, WA called Pattisons Team Extreme and became a national inline speedskating champion and record holder himself. His father used Inline Speedskating to fill his spare time.[7] Ohno's days were spent with morning swimming practices, followed by schooling, and finally skating practices in the afternoon.[17]
When Ohno was 12, he won the Washington state championship in the breaststroke but preferred inline speed skating over swimming.[17] "

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply

Prev Next