Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apnea and Training
Quote | Reply
I have been running, swimming and biking now for just over 4 months. I'm trying desperately to get back in shape after being a solid athlete prior to marriage and a family. I've taken a slow but steady approach and am now running 3/4 miles 3x a week, swimming 20/30 minutes 2x a week and biking 1/2 times a week for an hour. I'm 34 and 185lbs.

I'm having a terrible time keeping my heart rate within a target zone of 135/160. No matter how slow I run (doesn't matter 9/10/12 minute miles), my heart rate immediately jumps to 170/180 or so and just stays there. Same story goes while smimming and biking (although I can keep it sub 160 more frequently on the bike). My max heart rate is about 195.

I have fairly severe apnea and was wondering if this may be causing my heart rate to react this way.

Any other ideas that will help me be able to work out, improve and keep my heart rate at a more reasonable level?

Thanks for any guidance and experience with apnea and fitness training...
Quote Reply
Re: Apnea and Training [olytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am guessing here, but I would say that "desperate" thought is getting in the way of your training, The feeling of desperation alone could make your HR go sky high.I know how bad you want to be in shape, I have been there too. In some ways I am still. I am guessing you are probably training too hard.

)Have you tried alternating walking and running slowly.

)Have you tried running only 2 of those miles 2X per week.

) Have you tried biking slowly 2 times per week for only 1/2 hour.

Losing weight is all about sneeking up on it and never going too hard, and definitely not overdoing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Apnea and Training [olytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have fairly severe apnea and was wondering if this may be causing my heart rate to react this way."

Yes yes yes and a thousand times yes! The apnea is making you live a constant state of exhaustion. You need to get it fixed. Cpap or surgery (CPAP is a safer option.)

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply