Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing
Quote | Reply
Basically that is the question:

Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing? Why not, why?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last winter I trained with virtual power, but had no actual power meter for riding in races. Does that count?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For road racing, yes, because it's pretty much irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did for a couple years. Didn't have a PT on my race wheels, only training set. sometimes I threw on a wheel cover, but usually just used the race wheels. Once I started racing with power it helped me significantly. in the race and to identify problems in my race plan. Also allowed me to better focus my training to replicate what a race would be like. Helped a lot with mental toughness in both training and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train with power but had trouble with my power meter talking to my Garmin at my last race, so I raced without power. It was unplanned, though. I still raced well, but it would be nice to have the data.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Not even as a "black box" recorder?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Doesn't matter how fast or hard you're going. Only matters how hard everyone else is going.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, yes for that. I interpreted "use" as a tool and don't display power during race, only distance and time. Also have stopped looking at PM during hard training intervals up to 20 min and go by feel.

I'll usually look at power metrics after, to see how I felt lined up with what I was doing.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Apr 19, 14 19:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

I never look at mine until I'm in a break or on a long climb.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't even look at it then. If you're three hours into a hard race the numbers you do in training aren't likely to be of much value under those circumstances. At that point you can only do what you can do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? I just started training with power a month ago so I'm abit of a noob. But I've found it helps me pace efforts better? true you wouldn't use the exact same numbers you use in training, but I find it useful to give me an estimate of how hard I need to go to chase down that attack/ how to pace early breakaways?

e.g. if a strong break goes away ( riders who I know are big diesels/TTers) , and I'm riding at threshold and on break patrol duty for my team , I know I better chase it down NOW by going into the red because it's not likely I would be able to drag it back later over the long run. If it's a relatively easier pace then I know I can just gradually pull it back slowly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep.....
Only PM long course tri races and road races, no PM on MTB, track crit bike...

Reason, no time to look at numbers in racing on the 3..... And to a degree PM not compatible.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train on a computrainer. I race naked... Always have, probably always will.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. I have trained with power so long that I think in races I don't need it. I still use a HRM and know roughly the speed I should go as well, just did IM Los Cabos sans power meter.

For bike races like the dudes say below it can help pace but not really as you are at the mercy of the race. It is however very interesting to see those #s after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train exclusively with one. Determines most everything I do.

For racing I'm still struggling with its use. Sprint and Olympic distance to me is just go hard until you can't, then go harder. And that is the majority of my races.

I do plan to use it for a very hilly Olympic course and a half later this year.

But most of the time I just use the data to compare my effort to training.

Although I've been told that means I'm not using it right.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max Daddy wrote:
Train exclusively with one. Determines most everything I do.

For racing I'm still struggling with its use. Sprint and Olympic distance to me is just go hard until you can't, then go harder. And that is the majority of my races.

I do plan to use it for a very hilly Olympic course and a half later this year.

But most of the time I just use the data to compare my effort to training.

Although I've been told that means I'm not using it right.

I waiting to see if anyone said this. I just ordered my first pm but was wondering why I would need it for sprints since I don't pace much there, just go hard the whole time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a PM user/owner, I'll add that even if you use it for racing, it's never just a 'set to 80% FTP and hold' simple thing on race day.

Too many variables on race day to make it that easy. Some of the big ones-
- You get stronger from the taper
- Hills vs no hills
- Heat
- How hard the run course is

The PM can get you close, but you still need to intimately know how you respond and feel to fatigue and conditions to pace it all optimally.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
As a PM user/owner, I'll add that even if you use it for racing, it's never just a 'set to 80% FTP and hold' simple thing on race day.

- Hills vs no hills
- Heat

The PM can get you close, but you still need to intimately know how you respond and feel to fatigue and conditions to pace it all optimally.

I train with powermeter once or twice per week. The rest of the time I am riding on my commuter road bike with no speedometer, no heart rate, no powermeter, just feel. Same deal with running and swimming...only once or twice per week I actually look at split times at track or pool...rest of the time, train on feel. On race day, i always use my powermeter, but my brain is tuned into what feel corresponds to what power, so for the odd race where I have powermeter "issues" (such as battery dying, or having left my charger unit at home), then I can basically ride the exact same race to within a few watts as if I had a powermeter.

I just don't like measuring every workout as it takes the fun out of training (for me). When I see numbers in front of myself, i feel compelled to push harder, and that is not always a productive thing to do. This is why pretty well every treadmill or computrainer workout ends up being some sort of a stupid race. In the winter, I have to avoid using the computrainer on easy days and just ride my rollers on feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently ... I train with a PM and race without one ... Why? Because I can't afford one for my TT bike, simple as that.

With that said, since I'm only doing TT's ... and many are shorter in distance (only two 40K TT's around here) ... pacing is going to the point of blowing up, then backing off enough to finish the race as hard as possible and wanting to puke at the end :) ... It would be nice for 40K TT's though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For shorter bike legs I'll use power to pace the first half and then just crank on the second half. One thing I used to do was go too hard too early.

So, to answer your question, yes and no.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even then, only by feel. IMO there are too many variables for power numbers to be meaningful so I just stick with RPE. Admittedly, it took a few years before I trusted my legs more than PM. But even in training I've done best numbers up to 20 min efforts on feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
- Hills vs no hills
- Heat

Agree wind conditions can also play a big role. That being said having a good plan for half / full courses is a good idea (even 40k tts) especially as you may target a different %ftp even for the same distance race. i.e. slightly more power at IM Florida than you would at say IM Wisconsin cause you know Florida is going to be a faster course.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found it to be very useful for pacing. It is very useful for keeping power from being too high early, and good to motivate me to keep power from dropping off late in a TT.

It also comes in handy a lot for hilly or windy courses. Head winds you really don't want to raise your power more than a couple watts, but the psychological tendency is to want to fight that wind so hard.

Power meter will help you fight that.

If you practice a lot in training you might be able to learn to do all of this by feel. But would it be perfect?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I've found it to be very useful for pacing. It is very useful for keeping power from being too high early, and good to motivate me to keep power from dropping off late in a TT.

It also comes in handy a lot for hilly or windy courses. Head winds you really don't want to raise your power more than a couple watts, but the psychological tendency is to want to fight that wind so hard.

If you practice a lot in training you might be able to learn to do all of this by feel. But would it be perfect?

that you can test by simply putting a piece of tape on your powermeter display and review afterwards.

I think every age grouper with high competitive goal should ride with a powermeter as early as possible in there carreer. There is invaluable learning coming from it. That said, after years of experience on it. I didn't need it much anymore. i could head out on a ride and guess my ave/instant power with computer tape up. I would play game to head out of a 4-5h ride and trying to hit specific watts etc.

amazing tool but with experience, not essential.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using their powermeter for training but not for racing [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the tape thing is a good idea to do, as you will learn a lot about yourself, and also it will prepare you for days when something goes wrong with the power meter.

Many people stress out if their power meter becomes unavailable, but with practice you can make this no big deal.

jonnyo wrote:
jackmott wrote:

that you can test by simply putting a piece of tape on your powermeter display and review afterwards.

I think every age grouper with high competitive goal should ride with a powermeter as early as possible in there carreer. There is invaluable learning coming from it. That said, after years of experience on it. I didn't need it much anymore. i could head out on a ride and guess my ave/instant power with computer tape up. I would play game to head out of a 4-5h ride and trying to hit specific watts etc.

amazing tool but with experience, not essential.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply

Prev Next