Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone run disc cover on ALL the time?
Quote | Reply
Only one set of wheel, and I am tired of remove/reinstall it every time.
I am wondering whether I should just keep it on all the time.
Any downside beside the ugly look?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run disc cover on ALL the time? [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I leave mine on the TT bike all the time. Probably has 5k miles over 2 years on it now. No issues. I do ride the road bike allot for training. Figured if it goes bad and I replace it every 2-3 years it isn't a huge deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nah, left mine on over a year... I do a lot of my riding on a trainer though. Don't see any harm, they are pretty sturdy. (then of course I realized powertap hubs pull off and I started taking it off again :D)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run disc cover on ALL the time? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you tape the rim or use the fasteners or both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've left mine on from day 1. Two years now, lots of racing and travelling and it's still ok (I'd say "good as new", but since it arrived warped that's not much use). Fasteners and tape - if I get around to ordering a new one I'll get one undrilled, just tape.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for (external) tape only. It will last longer if you want to keep it on all the time.

Some hubs pull apart pretty easily, so it may be worth checking if yours does. Several are just a 5mm wrench in each side. It's way easier to take a freehub body off for cover installs/removals than the entire cassette. I don't feel like freehubs were designed for constant cassette installs either.
Last edited by: dangle: Jul 2, 15 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run disc cover on ALL the time? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thinking paint it before put it on for good. Captain America maybe ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:

I tape the inside (spoke to cover) on the drive side in one or two places, outside mainly though. I usually put in 2 of the fasteners just for peace of mind that it could never go anywhere... not necessary I admit but I do it nonetheless.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, I don't think I've talked to you since a little after nationals. Hopefully you're doing great.

That seems like overkill for keeping the cover on, but I know that you keep your bike mechanic game on point and peace of mind is valuable.
Last edited by: dangle: Jul 2, 15 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run disc cover on ALL the time? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Hey man, I don't think I've talked to you since a little after nationals. Hopefully you're doing great.

That seems like overkill for keeping the cover on, but I know that your bike mechanic game is strong and peace of mind is valuable.

hey likewise :) I got burnt out after nats, but I'm back at it now.
I always see the nightmare scenario go though my head and overcompensate... bad habit, but I can report my cover stays firmly planted ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did similar with a previous wheel. internal tape, fasteners for security, no tape at the rim as it was not an aero wheel and i couldn't keep the tape off the brake track.

anyway, ran that 40 to 100 miles a week for over two years. bomber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 2 covers on 2 bikes and big miles on the first one.

If you are going to run it all the time I'd order it with no holes and tape only. Or just tape the holes and tape only. The fasters will stress the plastic a bit and my first one did crack at a hole after maybe 1500 miles. Just aesthetic.

There is absolutely no reason to ever use fasteners. The tape holds them very securely...IMO. Just use a good tape like 3m. I've been running these now on a speed concept since 2011 with no problems.

If I could justify a real disk and get away from hub power I'd do that. In the meantime I'll keep running covers.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't want to put training miles on my race tires. Switching tires with my latex race tubes is probably as much of a hassle as taking the cover off and on. Extra wheels are really handy things to have around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
Both - thinking about removing the fastners. The tape seems to do well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only downside is if you have a flat. Pumping and changing tires is more time consuming with a disc cover on ... at least it would be for me.

I keep mine on all the time, but I only ride with it a few times a year since I have more than one set of wheels :)

Quote | Reply
Put my cover on 7 years ago, hasn't come off since except to repair it.
But do ride on other wheels that have collected along the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run disc cover on ALL the time? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the 7 years I've had my disc cover, if I'm wearing the race wheels (old 808s) then I'm wearing the disc cover. Only exception was Kona. Racing only though - almost never run those wheels for training. Its attached with 4 of the 8 fasteners, with the other 4 holes covered with a small piece of electrical tape. Plus some elec tape at three spots helping the cover stay tight to the wheel rim (three spots that avoid covering the zipp decals).

Proud to post only occasionally.

http://tribomber.wordpress.com
Quote Reply